Romagnoli makes Italy debut: “I’m not someone who tends to get nervous”, Bacca’s Colombia beat Paraguay

Romagnoli and Diego Costa during the FIFA 2018 World Cup Qualifier Italy-Spain at Juventus Stadium on October 6, 2016. (Photo by Claudio Villa/Getty Images)
Romagnoli and Diego Costa during the Italy-Spain 2018 World Cup qualifier at Juventus Stadium on October 6, 2016. (Photo by Claudio Villa/Getty Images)

Alessio Romagnoli wore the Azzurri shirt for the first time last night as Italy played a 1-1 draw with Spain in Turin, while Japan with Keisuke Honda and Colombia with Carlos Bacca also won their games.

On the 5th of October 1996, football legend Alessandro Nesta made his debut for Italy in a 1998 World Cup qualifier against Moldova, and yesterday – almost exactly 20 years after that day – Alessio Romagnoli made his own debut for Italy.

With Giorgio Chiellini suspended, coach Giampiero Ventura decided to give Romagnoli the place in the back-three alongside Leonardo Bonucci and Andrea Barzagli. The 21-year-old Alessio had a very positive debut, he completed 90 minutes and received a rating of 6.5/10 from La Gazzetta dello Sport this morning.

At the Juventus Stadium, Italy managed to win a point against Spain, who were dominant for large portions of the match. Vitolo scored in the 55′ minute for La Roja after a huge Gianluigi Buffon howler, but Daniele De Rossi scored a (questionable) penalty in the 82′ minute.

“We had a good game, but in the first half could’ve done much better,” Romagnoli told RAI. “I was ok with three at the back, because as long as I stay concentrated and work hard, I can do it. Our plan was to win, but you know Spain keep a lot of possession and that’s something to deal with. I felt a little tense at the start, but I’m not someone who tends to get nervous. Buffon’s mistake? Of course, these things happen. It was really the fault of us in defense who allowed that gap in the middle.”

Gianluigi Donnarumma spent the whole match on the bench, but Mattia De Sciglio played the entire game on the left wing. Riccardo Montolivo was included in the XI but was forced out due to a knee injury in the 30′ minute; he was replaced by another Milan midfielder, Giacomo Bonaventura.

Gustavo Gomez and Juan Cuadrado during the Colombia-Paraguay 2018 World Cup qualifier on October 6, 2016. (NORBERTO DUARTE/AFP/Getty Images)

In a match between Japan and Iraq, Keisuke Honda played 81 minutes; Japan scored the winning goal in the very last moment of the match as Hotaru Yamaguchi found the net in the 95′ minute to make it 2-1 and award Samurai Blue the win. Genki Haraguchi (26′) and Saad Abdul-Amir (60′) scored too.

In the night between Thursday and Friday, Estadio Defensores del Chaco hosted a match between Colombia-Paraguay and therefore it was also a battle between Milan striker Carlos Bacca and Milan defender Gustavo Gomez, who joined this summer. Both players played a full match. It took 91 minutes for the La Tricolor to break the deadlock as Edwin Cardona scored in stoppage time.

There was also an Italy U19 friendly yesterday, beating Portugal 2-1. Primavera’s Patrick Cutrone scored; Manuel Locatelli, Matteo Gabbia and Andrés Llamas played but Alessandro Plizzari didn’t.

fiz
fiz

Milan is becoming greate gradually gradually

Dwayne Kanas
Dwayne Kanas
Reply to  fiz

baby steps

EzrGy
EzrGy
Reply to  Dwayne Kanas

But real steps all the same. It’s not FIFA16!

fiz
fiz
Reply to  Dwayne Kanas

What did u mean by baby step

Rosso138
Rosso138
Reply to  fiz

Probably he meant small steps..

Forza1899Milan
Forza1899Milan

I just read a rumor that Milan are interested in Michael Bradley. I pray this isn’t true!

Reply to  Forza1899Milan

Dont worry mate, im sure its not football related issue

SuMa
SuMa

Good work rossoneri blog for keeping us updated about how the players are doing for their respective countries.. Appreciate your effort.

Eighteen99
Eighteen99
Reply to  SuMa

Yeah, I love this blog…every time they post its like Christmas! 😉

a
a

Future Italy XI:
Donnaruma; Darmian, Rugani, Romagnoli, De Sciglio; Locatelli, Verratti, Saponara; Bernardeschi, Berardi, Belotti

Jomokau
Jomokau
Reply to  a

What about Calabria for Damian?

Mojdanis
Mojdanis
Reply to  a

Darmian is not so young my friend

I-Milan
I-Milan

“Riccardo Montolivo was included in the XI but was forced out due to a knee injury in the 30′ minute…”

Did you guys miss this!?

Rosso138
Rosso138
Reply to  I-Milan

I hope that will keep him away from first XI for a few matches, Locatelli really needs more time… but bad thing is that we have some tough matches ahead…

Reply to  I-Milan

I hope you dont mean this in a good way, as it isnt. We need our players, and Monto has been good recently, he wasnt even bad against Sassuolo but the fans targeted him for some reason. Say what you will about him, but he is a great mentor for Locatelli. Both on and off the pitch. Loca isnt ready to start just yet, the way he’s currently being eased in is perfect. I hope Sosa is up for the task of the regista role.

I-Milan
I-Milan
Reply to  Milanista121

Sometimes Fate makes radical choices… Everyone has been complaining about Montolivo and his performances. Some think his performances have been okay lately – I think it’s just been average really. But Milan is saddled with him being the skipper. Relegating Monto to the bench was not an easy task, even if other players were capable of giving the team a new dynamism. It could affect the psyche of the team. But Fate has made the choice. I am not celebrating his injury – no. I don’t think you should hit a man when he is down. However, this team needs… Read more »

Milan4ever
Milan4ever
Reply to  Milanista121

U watch the wrong match. U can see that monty just give up to chase the ball when politano get the ball and scored. U can see that in the highlight, and the worse part is he is our Capt..so he cant giveup like that. When Sassuolo take the lead, what is he doing? Passing the ball to the back..wth is that. Thats why montella change him for locatelli and milan start to fight back, of course credit to Niang too

Reply to  Milan4ever

I completely agree with you about the leadership. But thats not what i said at all, i only stated that he has performed well, and we need him and his experience. I hope Loca is ready, but an away game to chievo now who have been very impressive at the start of the season might be a bit too soon for him, thats my point. I really hope he is ready though. And indeed lets hope Whoever plays, whether its Sosa or Loca that he is ready. I would love it of Loca plays and excells from the start of… Read more »

Milan4ever
Milan4ever
Reply to  Milanista121

I like the way u reply. Really can share opinion with u. Yeah, monty has been playing well but not against Sassuolo. I hope whoever get the chance can do well. Forza Milan

Lupo
Lupo
Reply to  Milanista121

If Locatelli is as talented as we all make him out to be he will grab this opportunity by the scruff of the neck. Only if he’s a late bloomer, but let’s not forget this kid was baptized by fire with Brocchi… Playing him against a resurgent Roma side, compare that Roma side to this Chievo side… Monto has put in a few decent shifts lately, and that is decent at best and for whatever reason most coaches keep him as Captain for his experience does come in handy every now and then… But like the other guy said, fate… Read more »

Jibola
Jibola

I am surprised there is no update on Montolivo’s injury from all the media outlets. Regardless our opinion about him, he’s still our captain and deserves some attention at this point in time. I wish him soonest recovery as the injury looks serious yesterday. As for Romagnoli, I will forever be grateful to Mihajlovic for presenting us 3 very big gifts of future, Romagnoli (For having the eyes to discover such a great young defender), Calabri and Donnaruma. Romagnoli looked super great yesterday and i purposely watched the match because of him. He made life difficult for Diego Costa and… Read more »

EzrGy
EzrGy
Reply to  Jibola

Normally, scans for tissue injuries are done a day or two later. I do not know why, but I guess it’s because the damage is more pronounced then as compared to shortly after injury.

We should get an update today or tomorrow. I can only hope our Captain is Ok.

Reply to  EzrGy

MRI is a b**ch

clouds
clouds

did you guys notice we conceded 7 goal when gomes played from start (only 2 games), maybe we need to loan him in january and get another CB, Who’s agree??

Reply to  clouds

More like a CB, a winger and whole new set of MFs

kaycee
kaycee
Reply to  clouds

the guy is still adjusting to Italian football. loan him and use who as second choice?

pato 1
pato 1

We can’t blame Gomez for the goals he wasn’t the only defender at the back