Official: Milan sack Montella, Gattuso is the new coach of the Rossoneri

Vincenzo Montella during Milan-Austria Wien at Stadio San Siro on November 23, 2017. (Photo by Marco Luzzani/Getty Images)

Vincenzo Montella has been sacked by Milan, Gattuso is the replacement.

The 0-0 draw against Torino was the straw that broke the camel’s back as the Milan ownership today gave the order to sack Vincenzo Montella, replacing him with club and Italy legend Rino Gattuso.

“Milan announce to have parted ways with coach Vincenzo Montella,” a statement on the Rossoneri’s website reads. “We are very grateful to Mr. Montella and his staff for all the work done up to today, their commitment and professionalism.

“Management of the first team is entrusted to Gennaro Gattuso, who leaves his position as Primavera coach and to whom Milan wish the best of luck. A presser is scheduled for tomorrow to present the new coach at Milanello training center.” Alessandro Lupi has replaced Gattuso at the Primavera.

Montella was chosen by the Chinese ownership (represented by Marco Fassone and Massimiliano Mirabelli) to lead Milan into the new era and the ex-Roma, Fiorentina and Sampdoria coach, who only signed a contract extension until 2019 in May, was involved in the summer purchase campaign.

Marco Fassone, Vincenzo Montella and Massimiliano Mirabelli before Milan-Juventus at Stadio San Siro on October 28, 2017. (@acmilan.com)

But the results – despite the continuous promises of Montella – never arrived. Mirabelli admitted before the Torino game yesterday that they had expected to be in a different position in the table and after drawing Sinisa Mihajlovic’s side, the Rossoneri find themselves closer to the relegation zone (+10) than to a spot that gives the Champions League (-11 from Roma who have a match in hand).

It was initially reported that Montella learned about the decision to fire him from a ‘collaborator’ of the club, but according to Milannews.it, the news was communicated directly from Mirabelli. The decision was taken over the night after a long conference call with President Yonghong Li. Sky also believes that it was the ownership that made the final decision to end ties with Montella.

Vincenzo Montella during training at Milanello. (@acmilan.com)
Vincenzo Montella during training at Milanello. (@acmilan.com)

Montella lasted 517 days as the coach of the Diavolo and has a record of 32 wins, 14 draws and 18 defeats. The highlights of his tenure of course are the Supercoppa Italiana victory against Juventus in December, the win at San Siro against the Bianconeri in October and returning to Europe.

“Coaching Milan was an honor, working with this group even more so,” Montella wrote on his Twitter account. “I thank the fans for their support, Fassone and Mirabelli for this opportunity and my staff for supporting me throughout. I hope Rino takes Milan back where they belong.”

Vincenzo Montella and Gennaro Gattuso at Milanello on May 26, 2017. (@acmilan.com)

Unless surprises occur, Gattuso will lead Milan at least until the end of the season. His career as a player is undoubtedly legendary but he’s had his struggles as a manager: after retiring from football in 2013, he coached FC Sion but was sacked at the end of the season. He then went on to coach Palermo but was sacked after just six matches in charge. His next experience was in Greece OFI Crete but resigned in December 2014 due to the club’s financial problems. In 2015 he joined Pisa, leading them to Serie B promotion, but a year later his side finished last and was relegated to Lega Pro.

This season with the Primavera, Rino’s team found its form after two initial defeats (5-1 to Sassuolo and 3-0 to Inter). The Milan Primavera is currently sitting in third place with 19 points after 10 games. Gattuso’s Pisa were known for their defensive abilities, conceding just 36 goals in 42 matches in Serie B, but had a serious problem of scoring as they had the worst attack in the league with 23 goals.

Gennaro Gattuso during Milan Primavera-Inter Primavera on September 16, 2017. (@acmilan.com)

Former Italy Prime Minister and Milan owner Silvio Berlusconi congratulated the 39-year-old Gattuso on his new job via a Twitter message: “I had a long, affectionate and friendly phone call with my old warrior Rino Gattuso. Good luck. Forza Rino! And of course, Forza Milan!”

Tomorrow Gattuso will lead his first training session as the head coach. He is the 5th man – and 3rd Primavera coach – to sit on the red and black bench sine Massimiliano Allegri was fired in 2012.

nomontella
nomontella

bye bye.. no more 3-man defence, no more pus*y behaviour, I expect gattuso to play 4-2-3-1 and showing grinta on the field

Mathijs Savicevic
Mathijs Savicevic
Reply to  nomontella

Right on!!

Conor
Conor

No offence to Gennaro, and I love him, but this isn’t an upgrade to Montella. Could we not have tried to bring Carlito back for the rest of the season, as a stop gap, he would hardly come back full time. Hopefully Gattuso will prove me wrong, and I hope he does, but this is like when Miha was replaced with Brocchi.

Gbenga Adeleke
Gbenga Adeleke
Reply to  Conor

Carlo is not available
he already said that

Alexmilan
Alexmilan
Reply to  Conor

It’s a big upgrade to morontela, because he is a great milanista, he knows the spirit and he knows we are not happy with non-performance like morontela

drew
drew

I can’t believe how poorly he performed this season. Crazy how stubborn and blind he was.

Gattuso is arriving as a motivator, i’ve never been overly impressed by his managing & coaching ability and I don’t think he will be a long-term solution.

I hope he proves me wrong.

ACMilanSince 69
ACMilanSince 69
Reply to  drew

Ditto. My feelings exactly. But maybe the players need a kick in the butt more than tactical guidance. Gattuso seems to be more of a caretaker than a permanent replacement.

Pouriya
Pouriya

It is worse! I like Gattuso but he was not good in managing

Alexmilan
Alexmilan
Reply to  Pouriya

He is not a great coach, but he is a great warrior, not like montela

I really dont know if this is the right choice. Love Rino, he will definitely scare the players, but regarding tactics etc, he has been far from succesful as a coach. I hope we wont ruin another old players legacy now… not that it would, but some fans here really have a short memory span.
Thanks for the memories Montella, wish you the best in the future. I would’ve kept Montella until we couldve made sure of someone like Ancelotti or Conte.

Alexmilan
Alexmilan
Reply to  Milanista121

If u would’ve kept montella that’s meaning you also were happy with the performances like him… he should have left after inter’s game !!! not now when he ruined our season

Juan
Juan
Reply to  Alexmilan

What’s gattuso’s record in the prev club he was player manager? I think it was pretty unimpressive. Don’t know why he gets such a high pressure job

Alexmilan
Alexmilan
Reply to  Juan

DOESN’T MATTER !!! Montella distroyed the team, ruined the season and said HE IS HAPPY WITH THE PERFORMANCES OF THE TEAM every time we had bad performances !!! OUT from Milano ! Milan is not your toy, morontela !

Reply to  Alexmilan

You didn’t really focus on what I said. Do you think Gattuso is an improvement? He might be, but it is a huge gamble. You’re letting your hate cloud your judgment. The sith lord would be proud.

Ld
Ld

First good news of the week. I didn’t watch our match yesterday because i couldn’t stream it live so i slept. when i woke up, i found out we drew the match and i was pissed/happy. Pissed off cause we didn’t win and happy cause i didn’t watch the match.
Gattuso, please bring back the fire and winning mentality. All the best. #ForzaMilan.

milanmario
milanmario

where is Seedorf and Pippo nowadays? wouldn’t mind having one of them and see what they can do. Anyway, can Rino be worse than Montella? I hope not!!! At least he has the Milan DNA and he can unleash hell in the dressing room if needed. One thing I hope now is that every player will play in his natural best position and no more experiments!! Forza Milan!!

Benj
Benj

Why appoint another rookie. I mean i love Gattuso for what he had done to Milan he is our legend but this is exactly the problem in Milan, since Allegri we have been hiring coaches not up to the standard.
Our squad should be one of the strongest in serie a at least good enough to reach top four but we keep failing in hiring the right coach which seems to be the main problem in the last couple of years.
Gattuso should be in the youth squads and work his way up, he is not ready yet.

Maldini
Maldini
Reply to  Benj

I agree he is jot ready yet but someone had to take the command… and i think milan primavera have been playing attractive football under Gattuso… he might even bring some youngsters along with him… more on he have the milan blood in him and have a command. Atleast he will react early with subs and would not mind benching kalinic biglia bonnucci when their performances are not upto mark…

Maldini
Maldini
Reply to  Maldini

Gatusso actually knows that no player is bigger than the team… thats where montella went wrong…

Carlo Gambino
Carlo Gambino

Gattuso will be a success based on his motivational skills and passion for Milan. If he can transmit this things to the team then the sky is his limit. Forza Rino

Moumen
Moumen

We’re thankful for everything he did in last season, but his work this season left much to be desired, although often times, his players let him down as well…

Good luck to Rino

Nas
Nas

Well at least he has a very easy first game to bed himself in
I hope it doesn’t go the way Inzaghi went.
Troubled times ahead I think

nana
nana

A joyous day for me. Am soo happy. This should have happened 6 match days earlier, but management gave him enough time to get things right. But Montella refused to get himself right. As for gatusso’s interim appointment, I must admit it’s not the best of replacements. He has done nothing to warrant this appointment. I just wish him luck and pray that he won’t be booed. Our players just need a new motivator. Their legs are not tired but their brains are

Jibola
Jibola

Result is the return Milan never got from the faith the club had on Montella. He deserves this and I don’t think anyone would have been surprised except an Inter fan.

That being said, I wish Gatuso proves us all wrong because it’s a bigger gamble. I wish him all the best.

Reply to  Jibola

Why would an interista be surprised? No one would be surprised, but all rivals would want him to remain due to how he has performed…

yourBoss
yourBoss

Wow Fassone is not Galliani, he acts. Well its never nice to see someone losing a job but I guess this is the best the club could do for everyone else. Forza Milan.

Gman
Gman
Reply to  yourBoss

He act? It was the owners demand to sack montella, Fassobelli wanted to give him one more chance Vs benevento

Nas
Nas

I hope Rino still has Nestas phone number, maybe they’d bring back a sense of pride and teach our defenders how to play the offside
Rino will go nuts on the sideline

Ted
Ted

Gattuso’s going to rip heads, can’t wait to see his grinta by the field. Best of luck to my favourite football player of all time

Forza Rino!

Milan for life
Milan for life

I don’t think any other top clubs in the world has changed their coaches as frequently as we did in the last 5 years. Guttuso doesn’t have a strong coaching history to manage Milan. I hope he can negate our doubts. I mean it’s hard to perform any worse than what we did so far with the current squad.

Enzo
Enzo
Reply to  Milan for life

Valencia

Gman
Gman
Reply to  Milan for life

We haven’t been a top club in the last 5 yrs

BeGo
BeGo

We should never underestimate Gattuso Tactical Prowess.

Looks, He technically alone it Milan midfield defense when His teammates busy upfront (Pirlo, Seedorf, Kaka, Emerson, Rivaldo, Ronaldinho, Robinho, Cafu). Well, Milan did have Ambrosini and Kaladze.

Reply to  BeGo

What does his role in midfield during his playing days have to do with his tactical prowess as a coach?

BeGo
BeGo
Reply to  Milan10

Tactical Exposure,

A lot. 😉

See Guardiola, Ancelotti, Beckenbauer (DM in today standard), Mihajlovic, Di Matteo, etc. 😉

Reply to  BeGo

Miha the sucky coach was left midfielder before converted to cb i think and di matteo (and conte) was cm but the rest u mentioned (and rijkaard) were playmakers/playmaking cm not full on destroyer dm like rino. Dunga and keane were dm. Look how bad teams they coach are *wink

BeGo
BeGo
Reply to  Milan10

Yups, agree, and,

That leave Us to only one (or three) candidate after Gattuso, and,

Each have yet to became a coach. 🙂

Gman
Gman
Reply to  BeGo

Beckenbauer was a sweeper, stil sweeper in today’s standard

HBSL
HBSL

Gattuso should invite Frank Ricjard, Seedorf and KAKA to work with him.
All the best GATTUSO

Mathijs Savicevic
Mathijs Savicevic
Reply to  HBSL

Not a bad idea

Milan until my casket
Milan until my casket

Perfect idea .. why not bring maldini , cafu and rui costa too 🙂 imagine how our team bench would look! That alone would put fear into teams! And give us the upper hand before the game even started..lol

Abdulmajeed
Abdulmajeed

Very bad timing for sacking a couch and the replacement will not do anything better . Montella did many bad things but I blame the players more than anything,Kalinic,bounci ,Hhakan they let him down .I see him as an unlucky .. After all any club in the world could sacked him much earlier than they did .

Enzo
Enzo
Reply to  Abdulmajeed

Best time to Sack him, we av qualified for Europa, and av a string of easy matches in Serie for Gattuso to settle down. This was well planned as Gattuso of course is a temp solution…U will hardly get a world class coach at dis time

Pelle80
Pelle80

Finally! The worst part of it all is that he alone sees improvement from this team.

makavelli
makavelli

Carlos Bacca seemingly reacts to Vincenzo Montella’s sacking: “God took his time but never forgot ” #ACMilan https://t.co/OQIjiG8qtU

carlos bacca just tweeted @abdulmajeed, so his players let him down with his stupid tactics also? playing suso as rwb? playing silva as AMF? pls spare me… he’s wack

Pray_For_Milan
Pray_For_Milan

Good that Montella is sacked, now we should consider this as another year Zero. Rino was a good Milan player and a Legend but I’m fearing an “Inzaghi-crisis” all over again.

I hope he will prove all of us wrong.

Milan until my casket
Milan until my casket
Reply to  Pray_For_Milan

Tbf inzaghi never had the team that montella had today .. this team is way better than what inzaghi inherited lets be fair .. so rhino has more of a chance of success:)

Pray_For_Milan
Pray_For_Milan

I hope he does, but Inzaghi lacked man-management and he lost the dressing room during his tenure as our coach.

Baresis Dream
Baresis Dream
Reply to  Pray_For_Milan

There has been six year zeros in the last 3-4 years.

SULAIMAN
SULAIMAN

for those who’re criticising gattuso, what they’ll say about zidane?? which side did he manage before madrid? and how does he performed when given the chance? let us wish our team success and stop bad comments pls.

dubfire
dubfire
Reply to  SULAIMAN

He was sacked by Sion and Palermo. He resigned from Crete. He relegated with Pisa to Pro League. How can you compare him to Zidane?

Gman
Gman
Reply to  dubfire

Haha, terrible comparison

Mike
Mike

Yesssssss quit bitching everyone this is the best news weve had in months time to pop champagne good luck gattuso

The decision to sack morontella is, in and of itself, correct but fassobelli couldve picked better timing as its too late and at the same time too soon. It shouldve been done in last mercato (or next winter mercato), that way kalinimovic the poor man’s van nistelrooy and borivaldo didnt have to arrive and milan couldve allocated the fund on wingers and playmakers to implement 4-3-3 properly. Bacca, niang and kucka staying wouldve been nice too. Regarding rino, whats his merit actually? I hope to hell in time i’ll be proven wrong but this is broccoli 2.0 all over again.… Read more »

Ali
Ali

Finally! This so goo… Wait! What? Gatusso as the coach for the rest of the season? Perhaps another legend ruined?
I just gave up on the management, they don’t seem so clever after all.

Ozonelayer
Ozonelayer

Let Hope this decision was the best for the club.. Zidane never had any experience before getting Real two champion league in a row… Montella is out now and the new phase of Gattuso career has just begin

Milan until my casket
Milan until my casket
Reply to  Ozonelayer

Tbh my nan could manage that real madrid team!! And shes not even alive!

Apache
Apache

Let him go at least we are far better without a coach than have him with us. He should go to seria B or c. He knows nothing about winning but specialist in draw.
Gattuso will do well and let support him instead of writing BUT.
Zizzou is doing great in Madrid. Forza Milan

Mathijs Savicevic
Mathijs Savicevic
Reply to  Apache

That’s the spirit!!

Puang_Machink
Puang_Machink

Gattuso is not an upgrade. But management dont wanna make a cost again to balancing our book for FPP.
Maybe need a miracle to push us to the top 4, and management hopes it will come from Rino.
Anyway… Good luck for Rino.

Edwin
Edwin

I am so happy.. I have fated and prayed for montella to go..I am happy he is gone.. Even if de sciglio have to be the next coach., I am happy montella the bastard is gone.

ruth

sacking montella is a big mistake without a proper replacement ,there is no way gattuso wud be more tacktically as sound as montella ,trust me milanista Milan r just going to end up in 11 position this season ,is a shame we lack good vision

zahid hossain
zahid hossain

sell kalinic, jack bona, biglia,hakan and buy Auba/ immobile/ Belott in front, Kovacic,Jankto,Rabiot/Draxler in the middle, defence is ok……situation will change definitely

zahid hossain
zahid hossain
Reply to  zahid hossain

3-2-4-1…
Dona
Japata/ Musa, Bonucci,Roma
FK,Monti
Draxler,Janto,Kovacic,RR
Auba/Belotti
I think this squad with 3-2-4-1 formation will command the game n Bring positive result……..coz with Silva,Cutrone,Loca,Calibria,Antonelli,Abate,Suso in the bench will provide superb back up…..good luck Milan

AC4M
AC4M
Reply to  zahid hossain

Belloti? NOOOOOO

Better ZAZA..

We can’t play with 3 CB!

It has to be Musa and Bonucci.

Ted
Ted

Gattuso had the best defensive stats with Pisa in the league and according to his managing history he uses offensive 433.

Hope we see a bit from this sought after youngster Tiago Dias who’s a key player under Rino in Primavera. Could be deployed as Suso’s understudy

Right now this team needs some tactial calmness, deploy a proper formation and build on it, stick to it so they can gel in a proper, calm way

All the best Rino!

Agni
Agni

Welcome gattuso.
The one thing that I loved about you was your determination and grit.

F**k the tactics, at least teach these jokers in milan Jersey to play with some fire in their bellies and have some fu**ing pride.
These guys are disgracing this historic and illustrious Jersey.

Good luck mate

Milan until my casket
Milan until my casket
Reply to  Agni

Love that bro 🙂

nick
nick

Milan only appointed Gatusso as the interim coach because Conte will our coach next summer. Thats the only reason.

No top coach with any sense will take over a team in mid-season. Therefore, no one better would have been hired now.

I’m not a fan of Gatusso as a coach but with Montella still in charge the players were loosing confidence in his ability to bring them out of this tough moment.

Antonio Conte will be at Milan next season. Mark my words.

zahid hossain
zahid hossain
Reply to  nick

100% rt

Mads
Mads

Best of luck to Montella, I do not think he is a bad coach and he will definitely get
a chance somewhere else. I’m grateful that he got us into the Europa League.
We have no idea how Gattuso will do – hopefully he will be our version of Simeone. He’s a wild card, let’s hope he turns things around. Hopefully some of the passion and fury from his playing days will rub off on our players.

Milan until my casket
Milan until my casket

Hope he can do what di matteo did with Chelsea..ie won champions league…and win europa league for us

Cocor

Bye, bye Montella you were not supposed to be here long time ago
Bring Calito will be a big help but he already signed $5 m contract with boca

Sheva
Sheva

SHEVA IS BAAAAACK…. I told you so.. when montella is sacked the REAL SHEVA IS BACK…

Philalalallalalallaal … if this management was SERIOUS they would sacked montella last season. I knew montella was not he man.. thank god he didnt get as much time as that fool allegri…

SO fassone.. PLEASE KICK OUT KALINIC…. galliani left his cancer montella in milan and montella left his cancer kalinic in milan.. we are STILL INFECTED with virus with that disgusting face kalinic in our team.. please sack him as well

Sheva
Sheva

Bye bye Montella. And regarding my nickname, I ask admins to protect it. Sheva is not vacant for more than 6 months!

Sheva
Sheva
Reply to  Sheva

Im the original sheva, and everybody knows it. I was only on vacation

Sheva
Sheva
Reply to  Sheva

You can be Shevchenko or Sheva2 or Cheatwhocan’trespectabet

Mathijs Savicevic
Mathijs Savicevic
Reply to  Sheva

Can we organize a duel with you guys? To let one win the nickname Sheva??!!

Sheva, – old mojdanis…? not perfect10, is the one who should keep the name. Old “sheva” lost his bet and shouldnt be on this blog with any nickname. I hope admin can ban him.

Sheva
Sheva

What do you propose Mathjis?
And Milanista121 mate thank you for being just, as always.

Don’t mention it boo! ;*

Jim-kaka 22
Jim-kaka 22

I’ve waiting for this news long time ago. Thank God he was sacked finally. As for GG, he gonna perform. Very sure of that.

caesar
caesar

Nooooooooooooooooooooo!!!!!!!! Not Gattuso! This is a very big gamble especially now that we need results. Milan will beat Benevento comfortably for sure with or without a coach so let’s not get carried away after dat match on Sunday. I will rate Gattuso after Atalanta match.

soheil balini

Someone we don’t know if he is good or bad is better than someone proved us he is not good every week.

Pray_For_Milan
Pray_For_Milan

Welcome back Sheva.

Alayo

@jim-kaka22 Gattuso will suprise us with good results

Protheus
Protheus

Oh my God! Rino?! Really???
Why is it looks like they just hire any coach they can get their hands on?
This is not an upgrade! By all means please rino prove me wrong! Surprise me Rino, please!
LOOK, we all love rino, he’s one of milan legend, but..
Rino coaching history is awful, i just had a good laughed with my friends after watching rino slapped one of his staff on a match, and now he’s our manager? OHHH MY GODDDDDDD!!!

Milanellofm
Milanellofm

Montella parting ways was inevitable, but we run a huge risk with gattuso. His coaching career has hit a few bumps, it’s a huge gamble. Obviously I wish him the best but why couldn’t we pull a bayern Munich and get a 6 month coach until Conte was ready? Thank you montella mainly for bringing us back to Europe, winning the supper coppa and introducing some youth players. One thing that scares me the most is players these days love turning against managers and with gattuso attitude and his rookie years players may not take a liking to him and… Read more »

Ink
Ink

Good luck Rino. Me, for one, is actually really interested in seeing how he does in next couple of matches. And it is as right a time as it could be, with ‘easier’ matches coming up. I still don’t think we cannot get any renowned coach at least till Jan, and will have to wait till next season to get someone really good. His Primavera team started poorly but then turned it around fabulously. I know it is naive to expect too much from him, but man, I would love it if he pulls a Zidane 😀 Now I am… Read more »

Ink
Ink
Reply to  Ink

**4-3-1-2 and 4-3-3

Alexmilan
Alexmilan
Reply to  Ink

He played 4-2-3-1 just once, but 4-3-3 in the beginning of the season, with Forte as winger, and after Forte started to score he changed to 4-3-1-2, with Dias behind Forte and Sinani

Coach Seedorf
Coach Seedorf

This management is more more than clueless…… Yes Montella has been performing badly but don’t blame it all on him. Did he tell Kalinic and Silver to miss the chances they’ve missed so far this season? Kalinic has cost us a few games with wasted chances, yesterday’s game was absolutely dreadful as we could have won 4-0. If Montella is sacked, Management should be sacked as well. Why didn’t they do this since, what’s the point in sacking him now? To redeem our season? Is UCL still achievable? Or is it to give us a shot at winning uel? If… Read more »