Liverpool-Milan: The Rossoneri squad

Simon Kjær and Stefano Pioli during training at Milanello. (@acmilan.com)

Here is the squad of Milan.

AC Milan face Liverpool F.C on Wednesday evening when the clock points 21:00 CET at Anfield for the 1st matchday of the 2021/22 Champions League Group Stage and the Rossoneri coach Stefano Pioli has named his squad for this encounter.

Andrea Conti, Samu Castillejo and Pietro Pellegri are out of the UCL squad, while Alessandro Plizzari, Tiémoué Bakayoko, Rade Krunić, Junior Messias and Zlatan Ibrahimović (feeling pain in his Achilles tendon) have been left out as they either injured or not 100%.

Probable XI (Milannews.it): Mike Maignan; Davide Calabria, Simon Kjær, Fikayo Tomori,Theo Hernández; Ismaël Bennacer, Franck Kessié; Alexis Saelemaekers, Brahim Díaz, Rafael Leão; Ante Rebić.

GoalkeepersDefendersMidfieldersForwards
Andreas JungdalFodé Ballo-TouréIsmaël BennacerOlivier Giroud
Mike MaignanDavide CalabriaBrahim DíazRafael Leão
Ciprian TătăruşanuAlessandro FlorenziFranck KessiéDaniel Maldini
Matteo GabbiaAlexis SaelemaekersAnte Rebić
Theo HernándezSandro Tonali
Pierre Kalulu
Simon Kjær
Alessio Romagnoli
Fikayo Tomori
MilanEstonia
MilanEstonia
10 days ago

Can’t wait for this fixture.

Looks like Ibra won’t be available for another month again lol. He comes back, scores 1-2 games, and goes back to recovery mode again. Sadly, his body isn’t as strong as his mind anymore.

Last edited 10 days ago by MilanEstonia
Dwaynek27ism
Dwaynek27ism
10 days ago

Welcome back to champions league!
Full time: Liverpool 0 – 0 AC Milan

10 days ago

First CL match in god knows how long; super exciting. And against our legendary rivals, Liverpool, who we shared two uber-emotional finals.

But if we put emotions aside, our next match against Juve is more important. This is not our year to seriously take on CL, more important is to guarantee CL for next season.

The probable lineup seems reasonable. It’s good to have Tonali rest, and Giroud needs more time to get back to full match form. Pioli also needs tp think about giving Diaz a rest, and Maldini jr should see some minutes in the big league.

SJF
SJF
Reply to  Baresis Dream

Dont seriously take on CL so we can qualify for CL…. what kind of logic is that?

Reply to  SJF

So you think we have a chance to win it this year ? We’re building a team to be able to properly compete with Europe’s elite, but we’re far from there … signings like Junior messias will simply not cut it.

We need to be able to quality to CL a few years in a row, in order to get a standard cash flow. This is not even my idea, although I completely support it – Maldini said it himself.

This is why Juve is Juve. That’s the logic.

SJF
SJF
Reply to  Baresis Dream

Of course regular qualification for CL is important for the growth of the team and the club.
However the real money is making it out of the group.
We have a very tough group but it’s not impossible if we play our best.
The squad has been reinforced to compete on both fronts.
As Milan we have to give our very best in the CL.

Reply to  SJF

I’m not saying it’s important (regular qualification), I’m saying its more important than advancing this year. Way more important. Of course, its not impossible to advance. But we are going to have to make choices because of our tight schedule, starting with tonight’s match. You can choose to ignore this, but Pioli won’t I guarantee you. Wait and see who’s subbed tonight at the 65-70 minute, regardless of how we are doing, and you’ll see what I mean. And if we go all in 100% in the CL, that means we don’t go all in 100% for the scudetto –… Read more »

SJF
SJF
Reply to  Baresis Dream

I honestly think at this early stage of the season the players can cope with the schedule.
We have some evenly matched options in midfield and defense. Plenty to rotate without upsetting the team.
A win v Liverpool would lift the whole squad and every Milan fan.
I believe we can do it!!
Juve will be very worried

Enjoy the match

dan
dan
Reply to  Baresis Dream

We may not have a huge chance… but we should and i know we definitely will take it seriously. if we lose, we better lose giving it our all. some teams do look better on paper or seem ahead in their process… but heck didnt chelsea won last year? changed coaches mid season etc. if it was because on paper some teams look stronger, then Man city should’ve won multiple ucl already and teams like Atalanta, Porto, Ajax have no business in the quarterfinals or above… but alas, they made it there and gave a hell of a fight.

Reply to  Baresis Dream

“This is not our year to seriously take on CL”
this genius repeatedly said milan shouldnt take “europa nothing league” seriously so milan could focus on qf-ing for ucl and now that milan ARE in ucl, he STILL says milan shouldnt take ucl seriously.
its official boys, he thinks milan, the most decorated italian club in european competition, shouldnt take ucl seriously. lmao, freaking les midtables smh

Reply to  Milan10

What, you think I’m interested in what you have to say? LOL
Why do you keep trying to interact with me, when I am (and 50% of this blog) despartly trying to ignore you?

What you need my confirmation or something ? Do you need me to acknowledge your existence? Is your self esteem really that low?

Or, maybe you’ve fallen in love with me? Is that it?

Reply to  Baresis Dream

ah, the classic playing victim and getting personal routine, sanctuary for snowflakes a.k.a. les midtables. if u dont want people to reply to ur (usual dumb) comments then dont write. talk football in ur replies and stop crying whenever people disagree with u. “So you think we have a chance to win it this year ?” again with this? so u think just because a team have slim chance to win they should not take competition seriously? what a loser mentality. im not surprised though since u repeatedly said mental aspect of sport is just, in ur own words, “psychological… Read more »

Reply to  Milan10

OK, fine, if you insist. “this is not the year to seriously take on CL” does not mean don’t take it seriously, it means this is not a year we can seriously challenge the title. You do have good language skills when you want to, don’t you. No one is saying we should field the primavera. But I’m definitely saying we should prioritize Juve’s match over this one. But that doesn’t mean we shouldn’t play to win. You can’t have all our starting 11 play throughout 90 full minutes, in the span of three days. Not to mention that we… Read more »

Reply to  Baresis Dream

“it means this is not a year we can seriously challenge the title” again, that doesnt mean milan shouldnt go all out vs liverpool. anything can and does happen in 90 mins of football, as young boys 2-1 man utd and sevilla 1 – 1 salzburg can certainly testify. “if you have to choose between someone playing the full 90 min against Liverpool, or playing the full 90 minutes against Juve, choose the latter. And, unfortunately, we do have to make these kind of decisions. No body is saying we shouldn’t play to win… But when making decisions regarding the… Read more »

Reply to  Milan10

There is a huge difference betwen CL and Europa-nothing league. In the latter, I wouldn’t mind us fielding the primavera because it’s essentially a worthless competition (unless you win the damn thing). CL is the real deal – it’s worth everything. So I’m definitely not implying we should treat these as the same. “first of all, yes they can; theyre pro players, most of them are young too. ” – unfortunately this is not the case. I wish everyone on our squad had Kessie’s stamina, but they don’t. Heck, Zlatan can’t seem to string two consecutive games now days. And… Read more »

Reply to  Baresis Dream

“CL is the real deal – it’s worth everything. So I’m definitely not implying we should treat these as the same.” then stop saying milan shouldnt take ucl seriously this season. on the contrary, milan should field their best 11 in all 6 group matches. “unfortunately this is not the case. E.g, there’s a reason why Pioli subs Leao almost always after 70 min or so” playing leao for 60-70 mins and sub him off for equal player like rebic or ibra to play isnt the same as not playing him at all, which ur implying milan should do vs… Read more »

Reply to  Milan10

I don’t think you know the meaning of reserves in the context of football, so don’t use it. Bennaser is Milan’s reserves?! Maybe zlatan is as well, since he’s on the bench currently. Lmao for real I also don’t think you know what slow means, I completely understood you and said I would prioritize Venezia and spezia over Atletico. You wouldn’t. I also got that. Not too complicated. I base my analysis on many things, that’s why in 95% of these delightful discussions we have I turn out to be right (not the only reason, it’s also because of your… Read more »

Reply to  Baresis Dream

“I don’t think you know the meaning of reserves in the context of football, so don’t use it. Bennaser is Milan’s reserves?! Maybe zlatan is as well, since he’s on the bench currently. Lmao for real” reserve player: player available to substitute for a player in the starting lineup. its simple, come on “i also don’t think you know what slow means” yeah, and u also think italy nt is embarrassment. lmao. just in case u never saw milan live, romag got 70 for pace in new fifa game. theo got 93. its simple, come on. “I completely understood you… Read more »

kid
kid
Reply to  Baresis Dream

DONT JOKE LIKE THAT AGAIN

Fra
Fra
Reply to  Baresis Dream

Milan must take everything serious this year, as much as I know every win in UCL makes some cash I don’t know how much exactly but I remember it’s worth to make some cash by trying to advance in UCL and do our best in serie A as well, forza Milan

dan
dan
10 days ago

it’s the UCL, you never know what will happen. On our day, we have the players to beat anyone. We just need to be organized and above all calm. We have many young guys who have not played in the ucl before. That includes kessie, bennacer, theo etc.

Cant wait for the game. It has been a long time since we had big UCL nights. Lineup looks ok, i bet Giroud will come in for some minutes. Hopefully, our defense solidity continues.

Timo
Timo
10 days ago

It still puzzles me how milan players are easily get injured. We‘re still early in the season and yet a lot of injured players. Losing many players while playing in 3 competitions is really not good. Hope there are no more injuries!! Forza Milan!!

Ac milan
Ac milan
Reply to  Timo

When they were running like there was not tomorrow against Lazio, this is the price we have to pay. High pressure does have a cost.

Ted
Ted
Reply to  Timo

Guys played their guts out last season to snatch 2nd place in Serie A and qualify for CL. Immediately after the season ended we had European Championship and then Olympics. They are only humans. In case of Ibra, although he is mentally bulletproof, his body is starting to show his age.

Timo
Timo
Reply to  Ted

Milan players are not the only players who participated in Euro and Olympics. It is not the point. The point is The injuries haunted milan almost in every season. Last year it cost Milan a lot, especially In second half of season. I am afraid that this season the injury plague will influence milans performance (again). I hope milan will find injuries prevention measure to avoid a player miss for a long time.

Ac milan
Ac milan

Since none of our strikers are rdy, we can try false 9. Leao Diaz, Sale,
Tonali, bennacer, Kessie.

10 days ago

WE NOW RETURN TO MILAN10 MUSINGS “verily, with every hardship comes ease” its a drag that ibra wont play vs liverpool. i was anticipating duel between 2 colossi ibra and van dijk. margin of error is so small in ucl so losing ibra could really affect the outcome of the match. still i have to say though, my cautiously optimistic mind tells me this could be a blessing in disguise, because with his absence tomorrow, maybe ibra can take advantage of the situation by conserving his energy and “anger” and hopefully unleashing it all next sunday vs juve or at… Read more »

Jay
Jay
10 days ago

YNWA … hahaha what’s this shit !

Pele80
Pele80
9 days ago

We are going to shock europe just watch and see. Milan when it comes to CL is a different ball game entirely. mark my words!

Oluwashevy
Reply to  Pele80

Exactly my point when the odds are against us I think we perform more better and I still trust in the process we going a good begining will determine how we end in the group I pray for favour for the team

Milanito
Milanito
9 days ago

Can’t wait to get this one started. We’ve longed for this moment for quite some time and now it’s finally here. And if I have to be completely honest there isn’t a better team for us to make our return against after such a long and painful absence. So I first want to congratulate the team and management again for taking us back where we truly belong. And I also want to shout out to the fans who’ve endured some of the bleakest seasons in our recent history but who have remained steadfast in your love for this great club.… Read more »

SJF
SJF
Reply to  Milanito

Well said!!

Come on boys, let’s stuff those scousers!!