Paolo Maldini spoke to Sky Italia after the presentation of Sandro Tonali, saying Milan will continue to try reinforcing.
Milan have signed three players in the mercato so far: Brahim Díaz (presented on Friday), Sandro Tonali (presented today) and Ciprian Tătăruşanu (will be presented to the press tomorrow at 13:15 CEST).
Paolo Maldini is directing the entire mercato from his position as a Technical Director. Today following Tonali’s presentation, he spoke to Sky Italia to answer some questions:
“Sandro was born in 2000, he’s very young and he’s fulfilled his dream. In a world of football that is less and less devoted to sentimentality, this is a beautiful story. His signing was very unusual, it was not possible to even think about it a month ago. We got to this point thanks to the determination of the guy and the work of the agents. Cellino is a person of value and of a word. Thanks also goes to our owners who have changed course and understood that we can do something great.
“The boy’s passion for Milan? It is not very common… players are professionals and they have to evaluate their career prospects. I’d talked to Tonali almost two months ago and told him that it’d be difficult to see him here. Our common hope was to bring him to Milan, ensuring that he does not lose this dream. Then things lined up and we were able to bring him here.
“Chiesa? He is one of the best young Italian players, but there have never been a negotiations with Fiorentina for him. This is the state as of today.
“Other mercato names? The idea is to always improve the team. Right now our priorities are covered. We have some minor injury problems with the central defenders, but since the mercato will be open until October then if there is the possibility – Milan will improve. That said, much of the work had been done even before the mercato started.
“The relationship with the club and Boban? There are common objectives, sometimes the ideas are conflicting but with a common line things are much more natural. The results obtained post-lockdown are evident and the results of the planning that had already started last year. The fact that Boban is not here saddens me, he’s a dear friend of mine, without him we are less strong but we try to reach a common idea.
“Shamrock Rovers? It’s a challenge that scares us a lot, they are a deal that is doing well, they are first in the league and they have already played 13 official matches while we have some problems: Rebić is suspended and Leão is injured. In addition, we play away from home in a single game, we are rightly worried.”