Official: Milan-Genoa postponed to a later date due to the tragic collapse of the Ponte Morandi Bridge

The Ponte Morandi motorway bridge in Genoa on August 14, 2018. (ANDREA LEONI/AFP/Getty Images)

Milan will not start Serie A on Sunday, as the Lega has decided it’s best to postpone the matches of Genoa and Samp while playing all the rest regularly.

On Tuesday (August 14) the Ponte Morandi motorway bridge in Genova partially collapsed, killing tens of people.

Genoa and Sampdoria, who are based in the city where the incredibly tragic event happened, asked the league to postpone their first round Serie A matches against Milan and Fiorentina respectively, and the Lega has decided to respect their request.

“The President of the Lega Serie A, given the requests for postponement of their matches scheduled for Sunday, August 19 at 20:30 CEST on the part of the clubs Sampdoria and Genoa as result of the tragedy which hit Genoa, and having received the assent of both Fiorentina and Milan, has decided on the postponement of the Sampdoria-Fiorentina and Milan-Genoa matches,” a statement reads.

“The rescheduled dates for the two matches will be announced in the coming days, in compliance with the regulations in force.” Before it was confirmed that the match would be postpone, Genoa ultras had already announced that they would not be going to the game on Sunday.

An Italy fan outside of San Siro before the Italy-Sweden FIFA 2018 World Cup Qualifier Play-Off second leg on November 13, 2017. (Photo by Claudio Villa/Getty Images)

It has to be noted that all the rest Serie A matches will be played and there will be a minute’s silence before each of them. This means that the schedule of Milan in the future will be tighter as they will have to face Genoa in a midweek clash while others rest. This also means that the Rossoneri will be starting their season away against Napoli, with Hakan Çalhanoğlu suspended for the match.

This also creates a problem for the fans who planned to come to San Siro and had already purchased their tickets and accommodation. Milan, as the statement said, agreed to the postponement.

No surprise really, it really isn’t the right circumstances to play these matches in…
May all the victims rest in peace and much love and warmth to the affected ones.

Milanellofm
Milanellofm

It’s the right and respectable decision and may they all RIP

Reply to  Milanellofm

Amen

Suracho: The king returns
Suracho: The king returns

This is a very bad decision by the most corrupt league in the world , lega:Serie A. What does ac milan or genoa fc have anything to do with the bridge which collapsed? This does not helps anyone and gives a fair advantage to our rival since their math fitness would be muchh higher. This decision is totally uncalled for. Either suspend all the game or do not suspend anything. But they dont have the balls to suspend rubes and cr7 debut. This is a totally bad decision and no wonders italy is a horrible country. Plus now hakan is… Read more »

The Cunt

It has all to do with RESPECT for the deceased ones, also known as victims.

Your comment is absolutely below every level.

Suracho: The king returns
Suracho: The king returns
Reply to  The Cunt

So only milan should pay respect to the victims? Should’nt whole serie a pay respect? I do not understand the logic behind this. You just want to bash me cunt baby so you make your statements devoid of common sense.

The Cunt

The city of Genoa pays respect and Milan has to respect this. And they will.

Suracho:The king Returns
Suracho:The king Returns
Reply to  The Cunt

You did not get my point cunt baby. The whole italy should or nobody should.

Reply to  The Cunt

Probably not, the tragedy happened in Genoa, so Genoa pays respect. And that means that all opponents of the Genovese teams will have to respect this. Get it? It is not that hard

Suracho : The KING returns
Suracho : The KING returns
Reply to  The Cunt

I dont require your acknowledgement to my comment cunt baby.IF you have points to debate you are most welcomed but I FEEL IF my comment was below level the 15 likes would had not been there,

The Cunt

Along with the 17 dislikes?

JOHN THE BAPTIST
JOHN THE BAPTIST

All league matches will eventually be postponed I want to believe.

Ted
Ted

Man even trolling must have its limit, really unecessary from you

Know your limits

Suracho : The KING returns
Suracho : The KING returns
Reply to  Ted

What has happened to all the milanistis? Can’t they realize that this suspension hurts us more than anyone in the league? Do milanista again require Suracho to open their eyes? We are not getting a chance to play on the first match day when nothing has happened in milano. This means that we are going to play our first game when napoli play their second. This also means another game on wednesday, which will only increase our match load, and give advantage to our opponent whom we play next after we play genoa whenever it will be decided to take… Read more »

Naz
Naz

For what it’s worth I agree 100%
Every game in seria a should be postponed and not just Genoa’s
Don’t let sentiment get in the way of what’s the fairest way to approach this terrible tragedy and calling off just 2 games is not fair
My heart go’s out to the unfortunate folks who lost there lives or loved ones in this awful accident RIP

Gman
Gman
Reply to  Naz

Haha. Suracho is pure comedy as usual

The Cunt

Why are you so afraid? Milan just should win from Genoa and Napoli with or without Calhanoglu.

Step. Up. Be a man.

Suracho: The king returns
Suracho: The king returns
Reply to  The Cunt

I dont know which bubble you are currently living in, but because of the chinese frauds and now american, we are not even better than lazio.
Gman: I dont know what you find funny in my logical arguments, but if I managed to bring a smile on faces of milanistas , I feel honoured of spreading happiness in this cruel world. When I wake up tomorrow I can proudly say I am a better man than what I was yesterday because I made everyone laugh while being virtuous and arguing with logic at the same time

Reply to  The Cunt

“Oh no, Milans game is postponed, now Calhanoglu will be disqualified for Napoli, oh nooooo….”

Grow some…….

misund
misund

If they could add more days to a calander year they would probably postpone all matches. But that is not possible.

This have happened many times in many leagues. rearly are there a possiblity to postpone all matches. Its not just Italy. Like some matches get postponed cuz of weather etc. They dont postpone all matches in the league cuz of that. its simply not possible there is not enough time.

J
J
Reply to  misund

This happens all the time eg during the fa cup and capital one cup in English football. Suracho there’s a difference between being smart and just trying to sound smart. Ur the second

Spencer

Amen. So will Calhanoglu miss the Napoli game?

RK
RK
Reply to  Spencer

I was wondering how that would work too. That would be some bullshit. Calhanoglu should be suspended for the future Genoa game but i would guess they would suspend him for Napoli as that would technically be “the first match” of the season.

Jibola
Jibola

Thanks for doing the needful. May the souls of those departed R.I.P.P

Reply to  Jibola

Amen

peaseye
peaseye

i dont see the reason the postpone the matches….the bridge collaspe since early in the week ..tragedies happen every day

Rozay
Rozay

Nonsense

C
C

Agent Beppe Riso arrived at Casa Milan you can forget SMS if that is true because Beppe Riso is Baselli’s agent prepare for dissapointment

Daniel Medeiros
Daniel Medeiros
Reply to  C

Could be as replacement for Jack, who might be going to Lazio in the deal, maybe? That would be perfect. I’m also still crossing my fingers for a quality LW, so I think the deal for Samu may be something like that too… Sell Suso to make some more money, replace him with Samu and buy both SMS and Martial.

C
C

If that was the case then perfect like you said but there is no way that is going through with FFP both players are very expensive even if it would be payed over a few years with loan and stuff it would cause trouble so i think you can forget that

Reply to  C

Going from SMS to Baselli is a disappointment yes, but Baselli himself is no disappointment, he is awesome! I wouldnt be sad if he joined us. Hopefully he can elevate his game even further. Are you sure that’s what Beppe Riso had to do at Casa Milan? Discussing Baselli?

C
C
Reply to  Milanista121

No only they know what is being discussed but that is what the rumours are right now it is hard to take any rumour seriously now it is total chaos a new one pop up every 30 min but it has been quiet around SMS for a while now so its looking dark on that front

Reply to  C

Ah I see, thanks for the update man!

Milanellofm
Milanellofm
Reply to  Milanista121

Doesn’t he also represent mauri? Maybe perhaps mauri is on his way out too

Acmed mastour
Acmed mastour

Total utter nonsense.

GTVCO2
GTVCO2

The usual Italian (my country) nonsense. Or All suspended or nobody. The Genoa Ultras announced they will no go to MIlan. Perfect considering this game is always at high risk ultra. But not,the Lega suspending the game and give again the opportunity to this bunch of people to dictate their rules. Of course,we are all sad for what it happened. But how many people are from Genoa and how many in transit on the bridge. Devolve part of the serie income to the families but this is too logic.

misund
misund
Reply to  GTVCO2

So what team’s should play two games a week? There is not enough days to postpone all matches. Unless someone is willing to play two matches a week.

Milanforever91
Milanforever91

Higuain’s 1 St goal will be against his old club then.

Agni
Agni

RIP

The decision to postpone only two games while playing others puts us at a disadvantage, so it is illogical and biased. They should have postponed the entire 1st round of games. Personally I didn’t like this decision.

Why we have to go for baselli, why not barella.

RK
RK

Condolences to the people of Genoa.

But again milan gets shafted in the sporting aspect. Last year we were red hot going into the derby. Then we all know what happened and all of Serie a was suspended (understandably) and the derby was postponed.

Now Napoli get a warmup game (albeit tough) before we have to go in cold to the San Paolo with a suspended calhanoglu.

Benefit is our new signings have more one to train with the team.

They should have suspended all of Serie a matches.

GiftedItalian
GiftedItalian

I think it’s a respectful decision to postpone the game. Football is supposed to be an entertainment for both teams involved and it’s impossible to enjoy the game knowing the tragedy that has occurred. As for the argument that other serie a games should be cancelled, the reason why this particular game has been chosen to be cancelled, as well as the Sampadoria game, is because the fans of both teams have bigger concerns on their mind at this current moment in time.

According to Sky, Gabriel has rescinded his contract and will be heading to Perugia.

Milanellofm
Milanellofm

I have never noticed how impatient I am… We just signed laxalt and castillejo and here I am checking every 10 minutes and wondering why there has been no news of a big player being linked. Like are they preparing a mega offer for SMS, have we given up on him and looking for someone else? I need answers! Silence hurts more than a thousand words. My dreams of SMS are still there

C
C
Reply to  Milanellofm

This is the latest rumour Peppe di Stefano (@PeppeDiSte): “Castillejo and Laxalt are probably the last signings of Milan, then in the coming 24 hours we will see if they can surprise us… So we can forget a dreamsigning i can tell that much

Endie
Endie

Long time lurker, first post. I really like the content this site and community provides, but this commentsection really miss moderation. Opinions is one thing, but calling people with foul names is uncalled four.

nick
nick

I’m sorry for the people of Genoa and I extend my deepest sympathy to them but for Calcio to only postpone the games for the Genoa clubs is total bs. All Serie A games should be suspended.

This will be a disadvantage for Milan since Calhanoglu is suspended for the first game against Genoa that means he will likely have to serve that suspension for the Napoli game.

They should just rescind Calhanoglu suspension altogether in light of this tragedy. Otherwise, it will be a disadvantage for us.

Don’t know why suspensions carry over into the new season. Ridiculous! Smh

Kourosh
Kourosh

I doubt we make another signing, although Leo and Maldini are suspiciously quiet.

It’s better be a big surprise or nothing at all. A player like Baselli won’t do. Better stay as we are or go for a game changer like SMS.

Here’s hoping.

C
C
Reply to  Kourosh

Well Milan have booked a Medical at La Madonnina tomorrow but who it is Baselli SMS or who ever it is i dont know

Milanellofm
Milanellofm

I saw that a medical is booked for tomorrow too, I can’t lie I’ll be a little upset if it’s baselli. But there’s also reports that we made another attempt at SMS which was turned down and that we’re still pushing. So maybe we’re close and making one last attempt to sign him. If we don’t get him I’d rather stay the way we are and try again in winter. I liked baselli but I thought he’d develop a little more than he has.

Reply to  Milanellofm

Hahahaha, isn’t this the most Calcio thing ever though? This extra suspense and drama, just booking that medical without saying who it is. Cant wait, I for one wouldn’t be disappointed if Baselli would join, because Im a fan and he has potential to grow even further, but ofc when names like SMS, Rabiot, Martial, and even Pellegrini has been mentioned, you cant help but be a little disappointed, but hey… we’ll see what happens tomorrow! Luckily I will be disengaged from checking the mercato every fifteen minutes or so during the day lmao

Zilla

Rip to the lost souls…!

Dapito
Dapito

My deepest sympathy for people at genoa for the tragedy…

Gems
Gems

This sucks for Milan, unfair . All games should be suspended , it makes sense, it is an Italian tragedy , start the season 1 week later and this would be fairer for all . Now we start behind the 8 ball. We will have Europa league games midweek and have to play this catch up game , and be playing when other teams are resting and they will move to midweek before a crucial game like last season Suspend 2 games , suspend all the games and start the season 1 week later , it’s a tragedy which affects… Read more »