Reports: Milan close to signing Laxalt for €14m + bonuses, the fee will be partly covered by the sale of Lapadula

Diego Laxalt during the Russia-Uruguay 2018 World Cup match at Samara Arena on June 25, 2018. (FABRICE COFFRINI/AFP/Getty Images)

Diego Laxalt looks set to join Milan, but Andrea Bertolacci is not part of the deal.

Leonardo and Paolo Maldini are working to complete the squad of Rino Gattuso as the transfer market ends on Friday.

On Tuesday afternoon the idea of signing Diego Laxalt from Genoa was reported by the media, and in the evening an important acceleration was made and the deal between the parties looks close.

According to Sportitalia’s Alfredo Pedullà and Sky Italia’s Gianluca Di Marzio, Milan and Genoa are on the verge of agreeing a €14m + €4m bonuses deal for the 25-year-old pacey Uruguayan. €11m out of the €14m, however, will be covered by the sale of Gianluca Lapadula.

Lapadula joined il Grifone last summer on loan with obligation to buy for €11m. Di Marzio claims that it was a two-year loan and the fee wasn’t paid to Milan yet. So, Genoa will trigger their buy-out obligation now instead of in June 2019, and in essence, Milan will only need to add €4m plus the bonuses in order to sign Laxalt, who can play in every position from defense to attack on the left side.

Andrea Bertolacci is not included in the negotiations and could therefore stay at Milan to provide more cover in midfield, as he can play both as a regista and as a box-to-box midfielder. Sky also says that Ricardo Rodriguez is set to stay at the club even with Laxalt arriving and the signing of the former Inter man is linked to doubts over the physical condition of Ivan Strinić.

Meanwhile, Leonardo will go to Valencia today to close the Castillejo-Bacca deal with Villarreal. Di Marzio also says there are no confirmations regarding Milan’s interest in Maxime Gonalons.

cuongminhtran
cuongminhtran

What the hell is going on here? More disappointment!

Ruskin
Reply to  cuongminhtran

disappointments ,I don’t understand

cuongminhtran
cuongminhtran
Reply to  cuongminhtran

Who unliked my comment are unrealistic and know nothing about Milan team. We already have 2 high level left wing-back and club refused selling RR to Arsenal, so we don’t need anyone more in that position. Club is not rich now, so I hope LeoDini spend smartly.

Gallo
Gallo
Reply to  cuongminhtran

@Ruskin Why are you disappionted , if i may ask Laxalt is a decent playerif you really get to watch him play a player that can play as LEFT WINGER,LEFT MIDFIELD ,LEFT BACK hard to see such plays this days he is very fast ,skillful ,has good ball control and a good crosser.to be frank LEONARDO/MALDINI has done better transfer than FASSONE/MIRABELLI that wasted 200m for nothing they are also the reason why milan can not pull a mega transfer. ,milan can only spend fire if we qualify for UCL but for now lets be happy with the sqaud we… Read more »

Ruskin

this is a wonderful news,I love this guy style of play,he is strong and fast with skills ,when I woke up this morning to see this post I smiled and said to myself weldone leo-madinino

C
C
Reply to  Ruskin

Ok now you are just overrating Laxalt sure he is an ok player and he will problaby bring something to the table but he is not an upgrade by any means but hopefully Milan can make some money from him by selling him after next season and bring some depth to the squad on the left wing and keep Borini from stepping on the field that is all i expect from him

disguised_fellow
disguised_fellow

I’m personally curious to see if Milan brings any forward until the transfer window is closed. In a matter of week, we sold or sent away all the forwards except for Higuain and Cutrone. We need a backup striker or even a starter who can play along another striker if necessary. I personally don’t think the rumors surrounding Milan and SMS are true. Even if they are, I don’t think he’s worth that much money. We couldn’t bring a solid striker since Ibrahimovic had left. I think we should invest the money (with the respect of FFP) on a proven… Read more »

Baresis Dream
Baresis Dream

Higuain is a top striker mate. I don’t see him and Cavani playing together as it means one lesd in midfield, and two players competing for the same square in the box. A secondary striker e.g. Dibala would make sense, but that means we switch from our current formation.

Muhamad Bangkit Hutama
Muhamad Bangkit Hutama

Gattuso seems like using 4-3-3 for this season, so there’s no reason to buy another foward/target man.

Rikimaru Tenchu
Rikimaru Tenchu

Borini is a Striker FYI.

Adeb Jogzie
Adeb Jogzie

Borini? Issokay

Mr.g
Mr.g

Not sure abput that. I know he is a good water boy.

misund
misund
Reply to  Mr.g

Lol 3rd strikers are waterbois so that fits perfectly for borini 🙂

disguised_fellow
disguised_fellow

Thanks for the input guys. I’m not questioning Higuain’s capabilities. All I am saying is, what if Higuain goes through a tough time? Should we put Cutrone? What if Cutrone is injured?

I don’t think Borini is a reliable forward. He’s an attacking midfield/winger at best for late part of the game. We can’t rely on just two forwards that’s all I’m saying. Specially when we have Europa league this year. I mentioned Cavani because he’s still an amazing striker who’s not young anymore. Young and prolific strikers are over priced and probably out of our reach.

misund
misund

It sounds like u are trying to push Cutrone out of the team and halt his development, a cavani in we might as well sell Cutrone cuz he will never play. Like borini will play 1 or 2 games. Let’s wait and see we always have January should it not work out or injurys.. Diego and Samy is exactly what we have been lacking, pacy wingers. I’m so exited now. To me it’s a big upgrade. I see then outperforming both hakan and suso in wide positions forcing the two to step up their game. It’s good! Finally competition out… Read more »

ali

milan intrest in Maxim Gonalons?
please please we dont want.
what a Hell, please that shoudnt be true…

in that case, the had better switch for dembele…

Dapito
Dapito

Woow.. Now left area secured and will make some crossing to our striker

Ruskin

@ disguised _fellow I like ur comment but I don’t think Milan will bring in any more forward to the squad for now,I think they assume to have 3 strikers already and that should solve the cf problem ,from my assumptions they tend to see borini as a striker if not where else will he compete in .that’s what I think right now cos they have been silent abt strikers

Adeb Jogzie
Adeb Jogzie
Reply to  Ruskin

Milan will bring in 2 more players.

1 midfielder – rabiot
1 attacker – Pato (I hope)

ali

Comment: the last statement in the post, milans intrest in Maxim Gonalons?
please please we dont want.
what a Hell, please that shoudnt be true…

in that case, the had better switch for dembele

Jibola
Jibola

This dude is an example of players who went through developmental stages and reached maturity. I remember when he was a youngster at Inter, he showed glimpses of his talent but not ready. He went on loan for seasons and those who really watch Serie A could not help but notice his growth from an inconsistent player to a more reliable player. Very fast, technical, strong, very good dribbler and defensively ok as he still needs some tactical guardiance to reach full maturity. He was no doubt top 3 left back at the world cup and i only saw him… Read more »

Baresis Dream
Baresis Dream

Good signing as he fits is much more than Strinic and would provide excellent depth. RicRod should be the default starter though, he is much more solid in defense than Laxalt imo

Slicer
Slicer

Hmm, is Strinic’s condition so bad that he cant be trusted? Cuz i would rather see the 18m invested somewhere else, we still dont have a creative mid, and we only have 2 strikers left. I dont believe that Milan will sign SMS, its not a matter of the price but rather Milan dont want to be on the bad side of FFP any longer, laxalt is a good addition but perhaps someone we didnt really need.

I believe this will be the final act of this transfer window.

ak
ak

This would be such a great deal, I’ve been a big fan of Laxalt for a while now. Anyone who’s seen him play knows he’s a very good player and can play anywhere on the left flank. He’ll bring pace, dribbling and offer Gattuso lots tactical flexibility. He’s also coming off a great World Cup, so I’m impressed we managed to pull this off. I predict he’s eventually gonna take the starting left back spot. I still think we need a midfielder to push us into being a top 4 team, and I’m hoping that because Lapadula’s fee is covering… Read more »

ac_scrimizzi
ac_scrimizzi

I think Borini will be 3rd choice striker and backup left winger therefore no more forwards will arrive. Nothing indicates we will play with 2 strikers based on Gattuso’s formations thus far so why would we buy a top striker to sit on the bench? Not sure if the plan is to use Laxalt as a LB and buy another midfielder or use him as a winger and maybe play Calhanoglu in midfield. I read a rumour we will use Laxalt as a LB and sell Rodríguez to PSG to try and get Rabiot. Sounds a bit far fetched. I… Read more »

Alexmilan
Alexmilan
Reply to  ac_scrimizzi

Totally agree. Borini will be the third striker or winger if needed and Laxalt will be LW, Hakan will play as mezzala or AM.

ac_scrimizzi
ac_scrimizzi
Reply to  Alexmilan

I think also Gattuso has said a couple of times this preseason that he likes Calhanoglu in the midfield position so maybe that’s what he is planning. We will soon find out!

Gaetu
Gaetu

My opinion is that Castillejo, Suso and Laxalt and maybe Borini will be our wingers for this season, and Calha will be in the mid, what i think is a great solution given our lack of creativity in the midfield togheter with Biglia, Kessie, Jack ( who can go on wing if needed), Baba and Berto. I still think at our strikers are not enough for the whole season, but maybe Borini and Castillejo can play sometimes there. We have some good backup to be honest, better than last season, and the players are quite flexible to operate in more… Read more »

Ink
Ink

What?
Laxalt?
No thanks.
Bring back Loca and stick him on the wings, he will be better than Laxalt.
How can Laxalt even cost more than Loca?

Adeb Jogzie
Adeb Jogzie
Reply to  Ink

Ink…. Really. Locatelli playing LB?
Stop these jokes please

Ink
Ink
Reply to  Adeb Jogzie

Not joking mate.
What I mean is, we need depth in midfield urgently.
Biglia will not be fit most of the season.
Kessie won’t be consistent for half the season.
We need depth in central midfield as priority.
So, we needed Loca, or need a Loca replacement.
And even more importantly, if Loca costs 14mil, Laxalt should not cost 14+
Do I have to explain everything I imply :/

Alexmilan
Alexmilan
Reply to  Ink

LCM = JACK, HAKAN, BERTOLACCI, BAKAYOKO RCM = KESSIE, BAKAYOKO DCM = BIGLIA, BAKAYOKO LW = LAXALT, CASTILLEJO, HAKAN, BORINI RW = SUSO, CASTILLEJO, BORINI THIRD STRIKER = BORINI, TSADJOUT LWB = RODRIGUEZ, LAXALT, STRINIC RWB = CALABRIA, ABATE, CONTI You explained but you are wrong and you-re not right. Rino and Leo and Paolo made a sensational squad with a lot of posibilities to substitute the starters. They act very very clever. Locatelli WAS DISAPOINTING IN PRESEASON and also last year. Bakayoko can substitute Kessie and as well Biglia. Bertolacci under Gattuso can be useful and if they bring… Read more »

Ink
Ink
Reply to  Alexmilan

Don’t you see the problem in your reply itself mate?
Baka, Biglia, Kessie these three occupy two of our midfield roles.
That is simply not enough for competing!

Remie
Remie
Reply to  Ink

Stop sentiments, laxalt is better than locatelli n has paid his dues…. As for cf, Higuan n cutrone are OK n borini can fit in when needed, we need more an outright lwf like martial, promess,

Ink
Ink
Reply to  Remie

Paid his what? How? When?

Bongo

Donaruma
Cala Romg cald/mus rr/laxalt

Baka kess

Suso calha cstilejo

Higuan

Res: cutrone
Reina for Dona
Strinic for rr/lax
Conti for cala
Bona for calha

C
C

I dont know i never really liked this guy i dont know if its the cornrows or what but he has never impressed me

Reply to  C

Reina for Dona
Strinic for rr/lax
Conti for cala
Bona for calha

zahid hossain
zahid hossain

wow!!!! its an awesome singing(a quality player in low cost)……. Laxalt can play even as a left half/ LM n also back up for RR,really awesome, now our Left side of defence is the best in serie A………well done dear Leo n Maldini……

Ink
Ink
Reply to  zahid hossain

Alex Sandro, Spinazzola and MDS says hi
Mario and Ghoulam says hola.
And Kolarov says he is still world class.

Deku
Deku
Reply to  Ink

Mario Rui and MDS hahahhahahahahahahahahhaha and oldie Kolarov hahahahahahahahahhaha. And Spinazzola the bench warmer for Alex Sandro. only 2 players that you named to be world class are Alex Sandro and Ghoulam. Laxalt won’t be main LB and if he becomes it will only be to raise funds for SMS.

azzkikr
azzkikr

He’ll play LCM in 4-3-3, and he is good enough for playing in that position

Idris
Idris
Reply to  azzkikr

If u watched Uruguay in world cup u definately know that this guy is Milan steal in transfer this season

Alexmilan
Alexmilan
Reply to  azzkikr

Jack or Hakan will play LCM in 4-3-3

adedayo
adedayo

I love the guy welcome to Milan

Ozone
Ozone

This dude is a wonderful player at Genoa and even shine at the world cup. I hope we bring out the best in him…

Niels8
Niels8

Considering his versatility and his current market value (18 M), it’s a good deal. I don’t know if the club really needs him. It’s up to their judgement.

Benny
Benny

woow! interesting times at Milan. I’m still keeping my fingers crossed. with the mercato ending on Friday, I really hope a forward will arrive.

Ted
Ted

He can effectively cover all the positions on the left from wingback to left mezzala and winger. He really is one of the most versatile players

Milan now has enormous versatility with Hakan, Jack, Castillejo, Laxalt. These players can easily rotate between positions

Bohem
Bohem

Good news for Milan…we have three option for LB/LW…they will fight for that position…good for Milan…hope we’re not gonna pay SMS for 120….He’s a good prospect, nothing more 50 or 60 million tops.

I wonder if Galliani was in charge, had made all our previous signings and then went to Genoa and Laxalt, I wonder if this many people would be as excited about him joining. Pretty sure people would rant about us going to Genoa as always for transfers…
Ofc, I trust Leo and Maldini’s judgement, but the way some people talk about him it’s as if we’re signin Marcelo or Alaba. RR will still be our first choice left back. He’s a decent player, but nothing special imo, we’ll see if he will impress and/or improve our current team.

Baresis Dream
Baresis Dream
Reply to  Milanista121

Good point mate. But as a cover for LB he’s great, no? And I think he’s been consistently improving, no reason to stop at Milan

Reply to  Baresis Dream

Maybe man, I’ve only seen him play out wide in a 3-5-2, it’s different to play in back four, not the same cover. Hope you’re right though:)

Baresis Dream
Baresis Dream
Reply to  Milanista121

Yeah, fair enough; it is a different position.

Yasser Abbassi

Hi evereyone, is there any positive news about SMS. I think milan should Buy him, this season juve, inter and other non_italian club because of their financial issues, have t tryed to buy SMS, and it is a huge chance for milan, next season, I promise he would cost 150m and there is lots of rival to Buy him.

Nene
Nene

I watched Laxalt last season and he was instrumental for Genoa. Unlike RR who can’t use his right leg, he is quick, smart and contributes to the attack

nick
nick
Reply to  Nene

Exactly. I don’t understand why people are making negative comments as if this is a bad player.

Alexmilan
Alexmilan

It seems to me that some people don’t watch too much the italian games, or other small teams in Italy. Laxalt has grown a lot in the last 2 years, he is very good on the left in every position he can play, he’s defending well, he is very useful in attack, he’s strong, fast and underrated !

nick
nick
Reply to  Alexmilan

Totally agree!

Marijo
Marijo

Sell Ricardo Rodriguez to PSG for $$$

Borini + Bertolacci + $$$ for Sergej Milinković-Savić

Release Montolivo and Gabriel

In the winter window, sell Jose Mauri, and Zapata… Bring in new CB

nick
nick

I’m really surprised by the negative comments towards Laxalt. He is definitely a quality player and a good signing for Milan. He is good offensively and defensively and he is better at taking on players one on one than RicRod. I would even dare to say he will possibly take over as our starting LB. He can also be deployed at LW. He had an amazing World Cup and he is a far better option than Antonelli and Strinic and possibly RicRod who all lack speed. That will be vital for our counterattacking game plan. Laxalt transitions very quickly from… Read more »

Reply to  nick

Haha, this is like the total opposite to my comment, pretty fun to see. Good example of how opinions vary:) Yes Laxalt has improved, but he is by no means a player that makes my mouth water with the prospect of him joining, he is decent. He had a good world cup showing too, but I was more impressed with RicRod, perhaps because I saw how solid he can be both in defence and in attack, he was amazing especially against Sweden. Laxalt has perfomed for club and country as a Wing back, there are no guarantees he will do… Read more »

misund
misund
Reply to  Milanista121

I don’t think he will play many games at lb, he comes for the left wing

nick
nick
Reply to  Milanista121

I see your point. I guess time will tell as far as the impact he will have at Milan. Let’s hope it’s for the best as I am tired of Milan finishing mid table and looking mediocre.

Vince Pileggi
Vince Pileggi
Reply to  Milanista121

You’re comments are usually spot on mate but if you watched Uruguay they played with a back 4. 4 4 2 and laxalt excelled

Baresis Dream
Baresis Dream
Reply to  nick

Laxalt is a good enough squad player, even in Juve he’d be an upgrade over MDS. But like Milanista121 said, nothing to really get excited about.

Misund, I hope you wrong because I cannot see anyway the guy can give us the numbers from LW. He couldn’t in Genoa as well btw.

misund
misund
Reply to  Baresis Dream

U just wait and see. Inverted winger on the right Samu/Suso Cut in side to support the attack. While a traditional winger in Diego at left wing to cross it in. He might not have been scoring lots of goals but he have not been in a position to so so nither. I have a strong feeling our current wingers will be exposed by the new arrivals.

this is how I think Rino will lineup the team

Diego-Hiugain-Suso
Hakan-Biglia/baka-Kessie
Rodriguez-Roma-Musa-Calabria/Conti

misund
misund
Reply to  misund

Basicly how this works it will form more like a 442. With Suso having the license to roam further up field acting more like a secound striker. Diego will drop deaper while kessie will overlap suso on the right making him more like a winger. (The definition of a mazzala.) Hakan will sit more center acting like a playmaker and Bigla/Baka will focus on defence. This will take away alot of offensive duties from our full back. Making our defence more compact. We will not depend on our full backs for crosses. Kessie Right foot goes wide on the right… Read more »