Mirabelli’s goodbye letter: “Thank you, people pass but Milan remain, I tried to build a concrete and lasting project”

Massimiliano Mirabelli before Milan-Roma at Stadio San Siro on October 1, 2017. (@acmilan.com)

Massimiliano Mirabelli has thanked the Milan world for the last 15 months as he was sacked earlier today.

Elliott Management took over the club last week and are making changes at the corporate level: after Marco Fassone was fired on Saturday, today Massimiliano Mirabelli met with President Paolo Scaroni and was relieved of his duties.

Mirabelli and Fassone joined Milan with the Chinese ownership, and were in charge of the 2017 mercato, in which the Rossoneri bought 11 new players, spending over €200m.

But Elliott see no value in keeping Fassone or Mirabelli. The director of sport remains under contract for two more years, as an agreement over its termination was not reached. After the meeting with Scaroni, Mirabelli went on Twitter to post an emotional goodbye letter:

“Dear Milanisti,

“When the time comes to say ‘thank you’, it means something had begun and then ended. It’s never easy, especially when you think about your endless work, dedicated to a single and declared objective, the good of Milan.

“I would like to start from here, this huge world called Milan and the boundless passion that surrounds them. I’d like to start with you, the fans: your love, your anxieties and your dreams, your joys and fears, everything you’ve transmitted to me in these difficult but beautiful 15 months of work, of which I’m proud.

Marco Fassone and Massimiliano Mirabelli at the end of Milan-Fiorentina at Stadio San Siro on May 20, 2018. (@acmilan.com)

“Thank you. With you, not me, but the whole Milan team has never been alone. I met you in the streets and cities where the Diavolo went to play. I felt your emotions and I was struck by the affection you showed me, with your banners and chants, and I still get emotional when I think back to that evening at the Olimpico after the defeat in the Coppa Italia Final to Juventus. We may have lost, but you won.

“I tried with all my strength to give you the best Milan possible because you Milanisti deserve to return to the pinnacle of European and world football. You’ll bounce back, I’m sure. In these 15 months, we’ve made many signings and pulled off complicated renewals but also made a series of sales, which allowed the club to reduce their losses. This Milan, if you allow me to say, is a creature whom I feel to be very much mine.

Marco Fassone and Massimiliano Mirabelli greeting the Milan fans before Craiova-Milan at Stadionul Municipal (Drobeta-Turnu Severin) on the 27th of July, 2017. (@acmilan.com)

“First of all, I want to say thank you to Mr. Gattuso, whom I strongly wanted to lead the team because we were united not only by the blood of our own land, but above all by the smell of the field. We fought and suffered together for every single ball, like we were in his style, and I wish him all the luck in the world because Rino deserves it all.

“I send a hug to the whole team and all Milan’s others, from Captain Bonucci to the youngest of Rossoneri talents, and all the best to Carolina Morace’s women, in their first season with Milan.

“I believed in all of them and tried to build a concrete and lasting project. I’m sure the Diavolo will have solid foundations and ambitious eyes. I must thank the staff of Mr. Gattuso and all of Milan’s employees, from the first to the last ring of the Rossoneri chain that has worked tirelessly with me, and accompanied me on this fantastic journey.

Massimiliano Mirabelli at Milanello. (@acmilan.com)
Massimiliano Mirabelli at Milanello. (@acmilan.com)

“Thanks to all the employees of Casa Milan, with whom I shared all the emotions of this adventures, and all the members of Vismara, that among them there are coaches, collaborators and scouts, with their work, they gave the strength and hope to so many lads.

“I thank all the journalists, my staff and those who believed in me and gave me this huge professional opportunity: working for Milan was an honor. Finally, thanks go out to my family. They offered an inexhaustible source of love, especially at the most difficult times.

“People pass, but Milan remain.

“Forza Vecchio Cuore Rossoneri!

“Max”

kaka

Atletico Madrid want to sign Kalinic on loan with option to buy as they are under the FFP umbrella, meanwhile Milan want to sell him on permanent basis or at least on loan with obligation to buy but at the moment they received no offers that fulfill these conditions [Sky]

nick
nick

I was never a fan of this guy and I’m not impressed with his work. 200m could have been spent better and he gave Montella way too much respect. Milan could have finished in the top 4 if we had either stick with Bacca or replace him with a 20+goals per season striker. André Silva was too young and risky to invest 38m on. That money should have been spent on a good winger like Deulofeu or Keita Balde. And the 42m on Bonucci could have gotten us a proper attacking midfielder like Felipe Anderson. Overall, Fassone and Mirabelli was… Read more »

Milan Wins
Milan Wins
Reply to  nick

Best comment ever!

Baresis Dream
Baresis Dream
Reply to  nick

Yep, there’s no way around this huge ball of failure that is Milan’s transfer strategy under Mirabelli.

Wes

Hope that Elliot, gets this right and fast. Getting a bit worn out with all the change ups, drama, rumors etc…

Thank you Max. It was a beautiful letter. Good luck with everything!

Jibola
Jibola

No better way to show class and respect in difficult situation. Raspect Belli!

RK
RK

Reports from sky and Gazzetta emerging that caldara has been talked about in regards to the bonucci deal. Fairly recent report not sure how concrete this is. Thoughts?

If bonucci wants to leave, I don’t blame him, and I would gladly take caldara in return. But I have a feeling this would be dependent on if Chelsea submit a concrete offer for rugani. Juve won’t let both rugani and caldara leave in my opinion.

Martin Bernhard
Martin Bernhard

Mirabelli certainly got my respect regardless of his inter past as he allways seemed to be working 24/7 under difficult circumstances. I do agree with his sentiment that he can feel some pride and ownership in laying the foundation for this milan team that hopefully will blossom sooner rather than later. In my opinion he also did some great deals in the sense of for example being able to strike a two year loan deal for kessie with a buying obligation set at 28 mil in 2020. Besides of that deal he got us several other rather young players for… Read more »

yourBoss
yourBoss

Thank you for the time Max.

Acmsrb
Acmsrb

Thank you for work and passion invested in red and black!

Milanellofm
Milanellofm

Im sad to see you go but thank you because you really did work hard for us and that’s the main thing. All the best in future adventures! Guys this bonucci thing is really picking up steam. Caldara plus money for Bonucci. What do you all think? Ive always admired caldara and him and romagnoli are the future. If we can have them for the next 10 years or more we’re set. Caldara is a solid defender and only 24. Bonucci had a poor year to his ‘standards’ and if he wants to abandon then let him go. I was… Read more »

Martin Bernhard
Martin Bernhard
Reply to  Milanellofm

Personally if they want bonucci back and his Heart isnt in it anylonger for milan i’ll say what someone here in the threads earlier suggested a straight swap bringing in rugani would be my preferred deal. I wanted us to bring rugani in even before his time at Juventus and deem it one of gallianis biggest mistakes in his later years at the Club that it never happened. Besides of that if that isnt a possibility im of the view that juve should be punished by paying us more than we did ourselfs. I would be perfectly fine in taking… Read more »

Rikimaru Tenchu
Rikimaru Tenchu

Interesting that he doesn’t mention Fassone at all.

Says alot

Goodliuck Max.

Milan Boy
Milan Boy

Either Caldara or Rugani as part of the deal will be a steal actually as Bonu is almost past his prime while other two hold huge potentials. Max’s letter was quite emotional and I really feel for him as he did a very good job even though he made some mistakes, and I think his mistakes are forgivable as Bonu’s deal was irresistible. I wish him all the best in future endeavours..W hope he returns in the nearest future.

O'GABB'S

Thanks! Max. All the best in your future endeavors.

flooresens
flooresens

see it coming.. Elliott’s cleaning the house first of all

Baresis Dream
Baresis Dream

Good bye, thanks for very little.