Milan-Genoa: The Rossoneri squad

The squad during training at Milanello. (@acmilan.com)
The squad during training at Milanello. (@acmilan.com)

Here is the squad of Milan.

AC Milan face Genoa C.F.C on Sunday afternoon when the clock points 15:00 CET / Italy time at Stadio San Siro for the 9th matchday of the 2017/18 Serie A and the Rossoneri coach Vincenzo Montella has named his squad for this encounter.

Luca Antonelli, Andrea Conti, Gabriel Paletta, Matteo Gabbia and Niccolò Zanellato are out of the squad.

Probable XI: Gianluigi Donnarumma; Mateo Musacchio / Cristian Zapata, Leonardo Bonucci, Alessio Romagnoli; Fabio Borini, Franck Kessié, Lucas Biglia, Ricardo Rodriguez; Suso, Giacomo Bonaventura; Nikola Kalinić.

GoalkeepersDefendersMidfieldersForwards
Antonio DonnaurmmaIgnazio AbateLucas BigliaPatrick Cutrone
Gianluigi DonnaurmmaLeonardo BonucciGiacomo BonaventuraNikola Kalinić
Marco StorariDavide CalabriaFabio BoriniAndré Silva
Gustavo GomezHakan ÇalhanoğluSuso
Mateo MusacchioFranck Kessié
Ricardo RodriguezManuel Locatelli
Alessio RomagnoliJose Mauri
Cristian ZapataRiccardo Montolivo
Sheva
Sheva

Line up: Calabria, Zapata, Romagnioli, Rodriguez, Biglia, Bonucci(not defense but also not midfield), Bonaventura, Borini, Cahanoglu, Kalinic
Formation: 2-2-1-1-3-1
Tactics: Get them long balls forward

Forza Montella!

nick
nick
Reply to  Sheva

Lol

Puang_Machink
Puang_Machink
Reply to  Sheva

Watchout sheva, ink gonna be throw back your sarcasm… 😀

Ink
Ink
Reply to  Puang_Machink

I would, but I got exam tomorrow, so….
Someone else has to take my spot.
No worries though, I will be back before the match starts!

makAveli
makAveli
Reply to  Ink

Good luck in your exam tomorrow

Ink
Ink
Reply to  makAveli

Thanks mate. Setting off.

Sheva
Sheva
Reply to  Ink

Crush that exam. And damn the people who give an exam on sunday!

agustinar
agustinar
Reply to  Sheva

lol

agustinar
agustinar
Reply to  Ink

lol

ACMFTW
ACMFTW

With almost a full squad to choose from, Montella, Once again, faces the gargantuous task of picking the right formation FROM THE START. Last game around, I gave a bold prediction of a high-scoring match against the lowly AEK Athens and we all know how that ended up. As i’ve learned my lesson, I’m refraining from repeating such a mistake and instead will just share my thoughts of how this Milan can take 3 points ( If any ) in this match. Starting by the defence: Simply, Stop allowing our captain to play long passes when building from the back.… Read more »

clef
clef

Comment:The problem with Milan is the coach,no starting Eleven,different set of players every matches, different formation.. i believe the coach is really confused… all the same wish him best of luck tomorrow..

Kourosh
Kourosh

I’m just astonished by the so many calls for Seedorf. Seriously, I’m lost for words. I mean there should be some logic behind it that I don’t know but the guy was sacked by a team from China’s second tier and out of job since. Obviously I love Seedorf as a legend of ours but what has he ever done to deserve all this credit as a coach? He’s done absolutely nothing, his coaching career is almost non-existent and people want him on the bench at the expense of Montella. Are we talking about the same Clarence Seedorf or does… Read more »

Sheva
Sheva
Reply to  Kourosh

Not a long reply: Couple of months under him and I saw Milan that played with more idea and beauty than with any of his successors. Intelligent man = good coach.

nick
nick
Reply to  Kourosh

Seedorf did far better in 6 months than Inzaghi and Mihajlovic did in a year with better players and a whole summer to prepare the team. So Seedorf’s bad experience in China is nothing important to discredit his coaching ability. I prefer a top manager at milan next summer to give him time to prepare the team but if Montella gets sack now i can 100% assure you that if we go for an interim manager like Gattuso, it will be a disaster. Gattuso hasnt even achieve any results to make him a candidate to coach a primavera team. Therefore,… Read more »

soheil balini
Reply to  nick

Inzaghi is doing great at his new club! he was doing great at youth team! the problem with him in Milan was bad players that were against him. I actually love his style of coaching. did you ever seen his recent games? probably not.

Ali
Ali
Reply to  Kourosh

I am with you in that Koroush. Seedorf is not going to make this team work, but imo nor is Montella. Only a strong and experienced coach is our way forward.

derya
derya
Reply to  Kourosh

well. for me milan must be milan. i did not have a problem whoever buyes milan.the chinese or the arabs or italian\ but who runs milan who makes decisions for milan who are the faces represent milan. and yes when seedorf got sacked many maybe all milan fans have been shocked the way he got kicked out and considering how the team changed to play in such a short time under him gave lot os milanista hope that he could have been a good man to give trust too but greedy succes hungry money business man never wanna give trust… Read more »

Reply to  Kourosh

Although I feel and somewhat agree with you, do you remember the six month reign he had when he took over from Allegri?
Honestly, he did an extraordinary job with an incredibly limited squad. I always wondered what he would do with a squad like the one we have now. And another thing is that he wouldnt be afraid to drop Bonucci if it was needed to as he has the balls to make such a decision. I’m with nick and Sheva on this one, although I would prefer Ancelotti or Conte, as probably anyone would for that matter…

Baresis Dream
Baresis Dream
Reply to  Kourosh

People are illogical, simply put.

Jed
Jed

Antonelli is always out…I getting tired of him

Alayo

Please don’t be surprised if some of our players decide to play against Montella tomorrow in order to oust him.Reasons is
1] He is playing most of our best players out of position.
2] Most of the old player are against Bonucci’s captaincy.
3] These players have their world cup chances at stake and Montella’s poor tactics is not helping them at all.
Forza Milan

G-WIN
G-WIN

God, Napoli inter is an advert for Italian football. In other news.I want to ask a question,this 3 5 2 formation is it part of the prerequisite for the elliot fund? Because I don’t understand why we must play it @ all cost..

Ted
Ted

Ancelotti as coach and Seedorf his assistant. Needless to say more

In other news Montella plans to deploy 3421/343 against Genoa. I think we’ll see different Milan tomorrow especially with Suso and Jack on their places. What I’m irritated about is Montella plans to put Kalinić up front. I want to see Silva with those two on the wings

Milan Boy
Milan Boy

Seedorf is an appealing choice any time for me considering his spectacular 6 months on our bench, he is light years ahead of Inzaghi. I don’t wish Montela to be sacked and if Bona is raising a group to work against the progress of the team because he feels he should be captain, then he is not even a captain material and loves his selfish interest more than the team’s interest.

Abdulmajeed
Abdulmajeed

I hope montella can turn things up but in case he doesn’t I nominate “Marco Giampaolo” I know many will be like what the hell .. but this guy got it and soon or later he will be a big name in coaching world at least in Italy when he gets a chance with a better team .

makAveli
makAveli

Anyone noticed Valencia in La Liga. Last 5 matches with the following scores: 5 – 0 2 – 3 3 – 2 3 – 6 4 – 0 Total: 21 goals scored in the last 5 games and 10 in the last 2. Impressive considering they beat 5th place Bets by 6 away and 4 again 6th place Sevilla. This is the same Valencia that for the last two seasons have been changing coaches and losing. Heck they even got Neville. They were 12th last season. This is Valencia Coach Marcelino’s first season at the club and they are so… Read more »

Kaka22
Kaka22

Long time guys. Whats happening with milan?Montella has lost the dressing room,thats why no matter how good a manager he is,no matter what tactic he deploys,it just wont work.Same thing happened with Mourinho at chelsea,same with Ancelotti this season.Ask yourself why players that were fantastic at their clubs last season all of a sudden seem to have no zeal,no desire to play,i remember people calling kessie all sorts of names during preseason from tank to beast to bullduzzor to Rjikaard jnr,i also remember people likening Biglia to Pirlo and all of a sudden we label them flops?waste of money?how come… Read more »

Abdulmajeed
Abdulmajeed
Reply to  Kaka22

Long time .. I believe montella got what it needs to make it and I hope he stayes .

Baresis Dream
Baresis Dream
Reply to  Kaka22

No signs of him loosing the dressing room, none at all. I am also dissatisfied with Montella, but let’s not make things up.

dubfire
dubfire

It seems will be playing with Zapata-Bonucci-RR, as defenders tomorrow :))

Kwabena Adu
Kwabena Adu

Montella will win tomorrow but eventually he will be fired,he’s inconsistent and not cut for a top club.

BOHEM
BOHEM

Forza Montella…Please don’t change the tactics….3-5-2 is very deadly…LOL.

VICEROYMHz
VICEROYMHz

According to Sky Sport Italia and Mediaset Premium, Montella will change to a 3-4-2-1 shape, effectively mirroring that used by Ivan Juric’s Genoa.
Fabio Borini and Jack Bonaventura retain wide roles, but Suso and Hakan Calhanoglu support centre-forward Kalinic, who returns from the start after a thigh injury on international duty.
Milan (probable): G Donnarumma; Zapata, Bonucci, Rodriguez; Borini, Kessie, Biglia, Bonaventura; Suso, Calhanoglu; Kalinic

Baresis Dream
Baresis Dream

Montella’s last chance. I don’t really see how he can steer this ship around, especially with all this rotation and formation changing. Montella days are numbered I believe, but if I were Mr. Li the first guy I fire is Mirabelli. He is the main guy behind our transfer strategy (though Fassone and Montella share a huge part of the blame), and it should be clear to everyone by now that we didn’t get our 200 mil worth. Our squad was worth 6th place, and 200 mil should have been enough to get us a top 4 quality squad. This… Read more »

Alexmilan
Alexmilan
Reply to  Baresis Dream

Mirabelli’s strategy is based on Montella’s tactics… I don’t agree with you….Montella asked for a player for a certain position and Mirabelli tried to bring that player, if it wasn’t possible, Montella asked for another player in that position !!! Montella is on top and he is the main culpable for this situation. He asked for Bonucci, he sold Niang, he sold Kucka, he played all the preseason 4-3-3, he could have played in preseason with 3-5-2 trying to find the finest shape of our team, the excuse with Romagnoli injured ( left footed player ) is for kids not… Read more »

Vic
Vic

With his tactics, montella should play with 3-1-6 long ball. Bonucci would love that

agustinar
agustinar
Reply to  Vic

lol

Alexmilan
Alexmilan
Reply to  Vic

If montella is a real coach ( but he isn’t ) with a big personality and the leader of the locker room, he can determine Bonucci not to abuse with that long balls and explain him that he is not pirlo, he is just bonucci, a good central defender who has another tasks in the field. another reason to understand that montella is not the right person to coach AC Milan

agustinar
agustinar

Sorry, I expect Milan draw tonight. So Montella out

Alexmilan
Alexmilan

My oppinion remains that montella should be sacked as soon as possible, because he isn’t the right coach for AC Milan, he was the right coach when AC Milan was out of europe, but now we need an upgrade and this upgrade is not montella. I hope to win tonight, then against chievo, but without montella.

BTW, we have an excellent prospect at primavera, tiago dias, an excellent wing, with 4 goals scored, it’s time to bring him at the first team. Also, we have an excellent striker at under 17, Riccardo Tonin, let’s play with our young stars

derya
derya
Reply to  Alexmilan

tiago dias came from real madrid youth
and seems to be a good adition
i dont understand the hype of montella that he claims
there is not enough wingers in the team to play 433 or 343
gattuso untill end of season
he will also give youth players a chance
then bring back angelotti

Alexmilan
Alexmilan
Reply to  derya

Tiago Dias came from Benfica and Sergio Sanchez came from Real Madrid, but Tiago is a hot prospect, he can replace Suso if we will be forced to sell him ( i absolutely hope Suso will stay with us for a long time ), he is already the number 10 of Primavera, scored 3 in the league, and 1 in the cup and he is the best player of Primavera right now, I am very optimistic about him. Also, we have a pearl at Primavera, but he plays more often for Under 17, and he is Tonin, he can play… Read more »

andrea
andrea

Comment:main! this is another day! and fans are watching, what todays ball is upto, lets see what montella would do today, seens he still our coach, i pray he looses and get fired!.

nana
nana

3421 is what we will play according to reports. It wouldn’t have been a problem if we have had any consistency with Montellas 5 defenders team setup. When we struggled to defend with 5 defenders on the pitch then serious questions need to be asked. Why is Bonucci allowed to ignore the cm and float those useless long balls to destroy our play? I am not a fun of sacking coaches here and there. Montella did quite good last season. I think a 4321 or 4141 suits our players better. Let me ask this– will sari play in insigne out… Read more »

Zilla
Zilla

Iol

soheil balini

Based on latest news Gatusso is the front runner to coach Milan till the season ends. A gamble I guess. but at least we will see Him every week instead of former Rome, Lazio, Inter players as our coach

derya
derya
Reply to  soheil balini

they want a big name.like conte or ancelotti.
but this coaches dont take teams in middle of season.
they want pre seoson and transfer decision
so gatuuso untill end of seoson and then get a big name
they anyway i believe
the moment sacking montella
already plan to sell top players
and hope for the magic
that we do it in top 4 or win international

Mads
Mads

Three points is very important today, but to me it is just as important that we start to actually play well. We have not played well all season, except for that second half against Inter. Hopefully they found something there that they can build on. It’s been disappointing so far, but if the team can start living up to their potential from now on, it could still be a good season. We will know a lot more after today’s game.

makAveli
makAveli

Off topic, I think it was so dumb for Fassone to declare that that if we fail to qualify for UCL, we would sell top players. Even if that’s the truth, u don’t say that publicly. Now u will have players thinking ‘Ah well, I may not be here next season anyway’. Then other clubs will start getting into their heads. One thing about Milan is despite our bad years, players actually do not want to leave. Zlatan didn’t, TS didn’t, Suso didn’t, Balotteli is upset today because Milan didn’t keep him, Flamini didn’t, KPB didn’t and the list goes… Read more »

derya
derya
Reply to  makAveli

agree.
and with that they drop the price tag of our players.
becouse we are forced to sell
now no one will offer the real value of players
like today
its claimed totenham will offer 24 mil
where he has a release clouse of 40
anyway
i belive fasobelli is just business
and li is together with the inter owner having bigger plans
lets hope the players and the coach will restore the pride of milan

Alexmilan
Alexmilan
Reply to  makAveli

totally agreed !!! fassone looks sometimes like he is working for inter not for us … after his words, players like suso, silva, donnarumma can think about their departure and play without motivation from now on… it’s a chaos in our milan in this moment…we want to build a strong team and then we say that we will sell one or two TOP PLAYERS… it’s enough time to get the fourth place ( without montella, one of the reasons for we can fail is that fassone stand by montella right now ), we have europa league to win, so another… Read more »

BOHEM
BOHEM

Hail Bonucci…lol

agustinar
agustinar

very funny we got the red card

oluwa shevy

Europa league keep we can’t even smell it do u know d teams dat r dey ordinary Genoa we can’t beat wit a man down look at juventus wit a man down dey won.