Montella: “It’s an important lesson, this win is worth more than a 2-0 and it is a step forward for Milan, Ancelotti…”

Vincenzo Montella during Milan-Rijeka at Stadio San Siro on September 28, 2017. (Photo by Marco Luzzani/Getty Images)

Vincenzo Montella sees the glass as ‘half-full’ after the 3-2 win over Rijeka and explained his hug with Bonucci.

Another victory, but more importantly, another disappointing performance from Milan as last night they squeezed a 3-2 win over Rijeka thanks a last-minute goal.

Montella once again started with 3-5-2, playing Bonucci from the first minute for the 10th consecutive time and Kessié for the 7th consecutive time, with André Silva and Patrick Cutrone playing up front.

Fabio Borini played as a left wingback and after 14 minutes, he found Silva. The 21-year-old Portuguese made an excellent solo-run and buried the ball at the back of the net to give Milan the lead.

Rijeka had several chances that a better side would’ve probably scored, but it was again Milan who scored as in the 53′ minute, Mateo Musacchio netted from close-range, thanks a lucky assist from Bonucci.

Milan were poor all throughout the match but completely lost their plot in the last 10 minutes before stoppage time: Bonucci made a terrible error in the 84′ minute, allowing substitute Boadu Maxwell Acosty to beat Gigio Donnarumma. Five minutes later, Alessio Romagnoli made a silly foul in the penalty box and Josip Elez equalized and shocked the 23,917 fans that came to San Siro last night.

But then came the 94′ minute: Borini spotted Cutrone’s excellent movement and delivered a fantastic ball to the 19-year-old, who managed to get his touch and beat goalkeeper Simon Sluga. Milan were saved by the youngster and are now alone at the top of their Europa League group with 6 points.

Milan celebrating after Patrick Cutrone's goal during Milan-Rijeka at Stadio San Siro on September 28, 2017. (@acmilan.com)
Milan celebrating after Patrick Cutrone’s goal during Milan-Rijeka at Stadio San Siro on September 28, 2017. (@acmilan.com)

“There’s a lot of work to be done. In addition to the result, it’s an important lesson for the boys, but we gladly take home these three points,” Montella said in the post-match presser. “We were in control for almost the whole game despite not being great in the technical aspect, and suddenly: blackout.

“Anyone can give their own explanation on this. I think this victory is much more important than a 2-0. I have seen positive things and some others we still need to work on. We have won 10 games out of 12, with a team who is made up of many new players. The hug with Bonucci after the 3-2? I hugged him because he is the captain of this team. We were in control of the game at some point.

“We should have kept the ball more and lower the tempo to lose fewer energies. The team was not calm [Milan constantly lost balls due to poor passing]? I noticed it too. I asked them to play the match with anger, but also with joy and fun. The goal of 2-1 scared us a bit and then it went like it did.

Rijeka players celebrating after scoring during Milan-Rijeka at Stadio San Siro on September 28, 2017.  (Photo by Marco Luzzani/Getty Images)
Rijeka players celebrating after scoring during Milan-Rijeka at Stadio San Siro on September 28, 2017. (Photo by Marco Luzzani/Getty Images)

“Resting Kessié? Now there’s the match against Roma. He will take a breather with his national team since he will be playing only one game. Bonaventura? He has to improve from a physical standpoint but on Thursday he was better than on other occasions. What’s missing with Bonucci and Romagnoli? We have to improve as a department. The many goals conceded come from individual errors.

“Some fans whistled? The fans have all the right to show their appreciation or displeasure. My intention was to save physical energy in view of Sunday. If I expect the headlines to be on Cutrone or on my future? I don’t ask this question… I focus more on preparing for the match.

Patrick Cutrone celebrating during Milan-Rijeka at Stadio San Siro on September 28, 2017. (MIGUEL MEDINA/AFP/Getty Images)

“The future? It was the dream of a lifetime to coach a glorious team. I think we can achieve the results we have targeted so I feel calm. I am positive and I feel the support of everyone at the club. When I started being a coach, some questions were raised, including if I’d be able to endure the criticism and ‘advice’ by the millions of coaches. I am not troubled by what are the risks of my job.

“If I’m ready to live with Ancelotti’s shadow [Carletto was fired from Bayern yesterday]? I hold him in great esteem. I went to follow his training sessions when I started this job and has always thought of me as a brother. If he wants to come here, he can be my assistant or maybe I can be his [smiles]…”

André Silva, Hakan Çalhanoğlu and Fabio Borini celebrating during Milan-Rijeka at Stadio San Siro on September 28, 2017. (@acmilan.com)

Speaking to Sky, Montella, who arrived at Milan from Sampdoria in the summer of 2016, said: “We’ve got to grow in the way we handle games., it’s quite evident. We climbed a step which was unthinkable before the match, winning a hard-fought game. This was a valuable learning experience and we bring home the knowledge that you have to control a match at the 70th minute. I want to underline the spirit of the team, even with no energy left, that brought the victory home. It’s a great result, maybe not so much in terms of the score line, but it is a great step forward for the team.

“The last-minute goal? There was indescribable joy to see the team play with this energy and determination in the final minute. I was a little more fired up with Bonucci, as he is the captain and ought to set the example on how to control a leading situation, but it was an affectionate telling off.

“The match? We have to grow in the defensive phase, automatisms. We suffered a bit at the start and then the team tried to play the match, as we have perhaps struggled a little in terms of temperament under the weight of expectations. Rijeka played a consistently aggressive match and we should’ve created more chances when we were giving the balls to the attackers, especially in the first half.

Vincenzo Montella during Milan-Rijeka at Stadio San Siro on September 28, 2017. (@acmilan.com)

“The importance of success? There are negative and positive elements that come out from game to game. We want the growth to last for the entire 95 minutes, that isn’t happening yet, so I am here to work and improve the team. We go home with far more experience and spirit than if we had won comfortably. If Donnarumma had saved the penalty [he jumped to the right side], we wouldn’t have been as happy, because we saw the desire and energy to turn things around and react to setbacks.

“The posture of the defenders? We work on body posture regardless of the defenders. If the glass is half empty or half full? Half-full, as we learned some valuable lessons and, of course, we won. Milan-Roma? This year we’ve won all the San Siro matches, I think it can be of value, or at least I hope so.”

This win over Rijeka certainly did not help to take the pressure off Montella and nothing but three points against Roma would do it. Totti was scouting Milan last night, and he went home happy.

milan007
milan007

he talks so much

Pelle80
Pelle80
Reply to  milan007

Way too much. Just like allegri

G-WIN
G-WIN
Reply to  milan007

And knows very little

Vaidinho
Vaidinho
Reply to  milan007

You ef-ing hipocrates, it is you that talk too much, in fact, talking is all you can do. I rarely post my thoughts here, because they’re irrelavent and mean nothing, but people like you (almost all of you) who does nothing but sits by the computer and smashes their keyborad with their greesy fingers thinking they know something… Congratu-efing-lations, you don’t. Woah, I’m so sick of more that half of the fans on this blog… You understand sh*t, you know jack sh*t. You can hire best coach in whole ef-ing galaxy, he still stands at the sideline. And players are… Read more »

Reply to  Vaidinho

I been wishing to have an app with a comments so I can share with other Milan fans since I don’t have any to disscue with ,but after a saw most people here ..they got the shit out of me and I been just like you not willing to get down with them but some time I fu**king loss it .just today I told some one that I wish you never been a Milan fan .

Dan
Dan
Reply to  Vaidinho

Well said Vaidinho haha!!

Ink
Ink
Reply to  Vaidinho

Oi, what’s wring with a greasy keyboard?
Maybe you have not noticed, but lately (since decades) the world runs on pc. Wake up from your slumber.
No I will not clean the grease from my keyboard! By blood sweat and grease!

Alexmilan
Alexmilan
Reply to  Vaidinho

Vaidinho : Good morning ! Are you a zombie and someone has just disturbed your sleep ??? Yes, you’re right, your oppinion means nothing if you’re speaking like that, offending a big part of the Milan’s fans ! This is AC Milan, not Atalanta or Fiorentina, with the utmost respect for them, almost everything must be perfect here and until now it wasn’t !!! There were critical errors of the coach, there were critical errors of the players, important players like Bonucci, Romagnoli, Kessie, Biglia, not some inexperienced youngers, it’s absolutely normal that us, the fans, to underline them and… Read more »

ATALA
ATALA
Reply to  Vaidinho

You are highlighting my feelings. Way too many keyboard warriors.

Montella has won 10 of 12. The past couple of games were ugly but a winning team has to grind out results.
We have 2 important games against inter and Roma. If he does well he will stay. IF he looses both of them, I am sure he will be sacked.

Overall Montella is a very good coach.

Manga la figa
Manga la figa
Reply to  Vaidinho

Well, let me tell you something. I’ve been playing football since I was eight in the streets way back when. I’m in my late forties now. I’ve followed Milan since the late eighties. My uncle would send video tapes for me from Milan for me to watch as they didn’t broadcast the games in the US. Only the WC and champions s league finals. My uncle got his FIFA coaching license in 1975 and was coaching national teams as well as clubs for well over 30 years. My brother had a shot to go pro but an injury stopped that.… Read more »

Sheva
Sheva
Reply to  Vaidinho

There is a smart guy that will teach us a lesson. One of the kind who understands football and has come here to give us a peace of his mind. Oh dear sir you are so above us all “greasy finger” people that even this my irrelevant reply to you is bringing joy to me. With such smart words like “players are not programable robots” you truly made me think that your profession is profound, something like prime minister or high state attorney. Thank you Vaidinho for these wise words. Now just one message for you: Keep reading the comments… Read more »

Nazz
Nazz
Reply to  Vaidinho

Get some pills, bro…

nomontella
nomontella
Reply to  Vaidinho

Mr. Fassone is that you?

Olayiwola
Olayiwola

Cluless Montella, you just lucky Cutrone saved your ass! I only hope Roma wont murder us.

Mankay
Mankay

They re still drafting ur sack letter…is still work in progress

BC
BC

Bonucci and Kessie havent been anything special to us. Suso and Bona are shit in this 352. The best formation is a 4231 which is able to utilise the best of Silva/Cutrone, Suso, Hakan n Bona. Against Samp, Biglia was also shit.

Reply to  BC

For me I think bonucci has been more negative for the team than any thing , he made us Change system I order to fit him but playes like shit in every aspect , and for changing the system we lost the effect of suso ,bona,Hakan, players which could do much more than bonucci even if he is his best form and in my view this is what is making the team giving so less than expectation . I am Certain if we had played 4 at back with roma and musac our defense will not be worse than it… Read more »

Nazz
Nazz
Reply to  Abdulmajeed

Bonnuci was good at Juve because of Berzagli and Chiellini. Mourinho knew it since he dropped Bonnuci during his helm at Inter…

soheil balini

it’s funny how I who believe Montella is smart coach and all his haters are all waiting for Carlo at the same time.
Bring back our legendary coach and let him stay for another 10 years.

By the way did you all notice that Inzaghi is doing a great job at Vicenza? I know they lost this week but he is showing great promise

Silver
Silver
Reply to  soheil balini

I really hope that Inzaghi turns into great goach and if he proves himself then I will welcome him back

Vic
Vic

‘Totti was scouting milan last night and he went home happy’ lol

Rainse
Rainse

Montella out, don’t get me wrong he is a good manager, however that is the main problem, we need a great manager not a good manager, this project is way too big for montella, the performance of this team has been absolutely poor, we can’t even put three successful passes together without losing the ball, and we play with 5 midfielders loool, Carloall we do is play long balls just to lose it, sorry but that is not how a team worth over £200 million should play, whilst we got the chance let’s get Carlo Ancelotti right now before somebody… Read more »

Kourosh
Kourosh

We are still lacking in everything all over the pitch and will most likely lose against Roma if we play like this, but have you noticed that all the goals we concede are purely because of individual errors? Against Samp it was first Zapata’s moment of madness and then Borini’s assist to Alvarez for the second goal. Also last night, first goal was Bonucci’s mistake and then Romagnoli’s howler. I mean, we’re playing bad football but if it wasn’t for individual errors maybe we could have had two clean sheets this week. For some reason, we have an unnaturally high… Read more »

Reply to  Kourosh

Individual errors are likely to happen when you let the opponent play and put you under pressure.

Kourosh
Kourosh
Reply to  Pa ibra

I will never accept that. A defender is almost always under pressure. So every time Romagnoli is protecting the ball under pressure we should expect him to give it away? Please …

Reply to  Kourosh

So Spal can also claim that our win over them was merely down to individual errors? Two tackles in the box leading to our penalties?. Even though some errors are unacceptable they are sometimes down to the whole team not playing well thats my point.

Kourosh
Kourosh
Reply to  Pa ibra

Yes they can and yes it was. That’s why I said we are lacking in our play.

An individual error every once in a while is acceptable since they are all human, but not like this. It’s happening mutiple times in every game from these level of players.

Reply to  Pa ibra

I know thats a common saying when you lose to individual errors. Spal could say individual errors leads to the goals but there were other weakness leading to the defeat as a whole. They didnt do enough to prevent Milan from forcing them into those errors so such team may deserved losing and not really because of mere individual errors. But I understand what you saying youre separatively analysing team and player performances.

Reply to  Pa ibra

When bonucci fu**d up taster day he was not under prusser , and seam to romn.. .

Reply to  Abdulmajeed

They screwed up I agreed but they chances of all that happening would’ve been slimmer had Milan been in better control

soheil balini
Reply to  Kourosh

Individual errors of players that shouldn’t be on the pitch! that’s the coach fault. why on earth we got Borini? and why he is starting over player like Bonaventora? why Zapata is still playing for Milan? it’s like having an infection and inviting the infection back now and then to see if this time it will kill us!!!!!

Reply to  soheil balini

How in the hell it is the coach fault , do you expect the coach to teach bonucci how to mark a player or roman how to kick the ball so he cleares it . RR can’t play every game and we don’t have replacement for him we only have two fullback at the moment RR and abati ,do you know where Borine playes or where bona ?!? (Because you are making no sense ) we don’t even have a good repacement for kess, which suppose to be rested I know he(montella) made mistakes but not all the blame is… Read more »

soheil balini
Reply to  Abdulmajeed

Yes Borini is an striker that we used as a winger and now as a fullback!! we have Abata, Calabria, & RR. three fullbacks. also when you don’t have enough players you can easily play with other formations. if you don’t have enough players then don’t put 5 defenders on the field (yes our 3-5-2 is more like a 5-3-2). Also if BORINI an striker can play as LB so BONA who is 10 times better. and about bonucci. MILAN is bigger than any players. IF he is not playing good then bench him. why make a new player captain?… Read more »

Reply to  soheil balini

Man .. I will not go through all that you said , but I agree with some things you said . Things are not easy and need time , just be patient it is going to be okay .
Forza montella
Forza Milan .

Yomi
Yomi
Reply to  soheil balini

Guys, let me bring ur attention to something here. Look through then u will see some positive playing borini as wing back. And not all defeat is totally the coaches fault. Let me remind u that changing of formation all the time for a new team who are just getting to play together is not good. And before u condemned a particular formation make sure u hv gotten all the possible result before saying bye to it. borini made two good lovely assist from that position. Which means it’s only a matter of time he will adjust cos he is… Read more »

Puang_Machink
Puang_Machink
Reply to  soheil balini

Sorry mate, but u exactly didnt watch the game.
FYI, 2 of our goal last night is coming from Bori(ng)ni.
Yup, hes not good enough for Milan, but last night was his night.
Zapata didnt play against Rijeka, so stop, u cant complain about him..

Alexmilan
Alexmilan
Reply to  Kourosh

Kessie against Cagliari, Romagnoli against Udine, Zapata against Samp, Bonucci and Romagnoli against Rijeka, critical errors, every error meant a goal, it’s impossible to perform like that. They forgot the football they knew it ??? I don’t think so, it’s something else here… Maybe the coach !

Kourosh
Kourosh
Reply to  Alexmilan

That’s it. You’re just further proving my point.

Or are you saying the coach tells Kessie and Romagnoli to pass the ball to the opponent for them to score? He tells Zapata to head the ball into the path of his cousin? He tells Bonucci to miss his tackle and Romagnoli to give the ball away and make a silly foul immediately afterwards?

Please think before you write.

Baresis Dream
Baresis Dream
Reply to  Kourosh

I think that’s a good point Kuroush, and it’s probably due to the fact the most of them don’t feel comfortable playing next to each other.

Pa ibra

Well you can ask the boys to show hunger and everything but nothing will work if you dont implement the right tactics. When you give your opponent time to move the ball around even just passing between goalkeeper and defenders, thats youre allowing them time to build confidence and confidence is the first step before a team start implementing its ideas. You should press opponents high up especially lesser teams you might not be able to press all game but there is a chance you will be in control and create a few chances in an uncomfortable 20 minutes for… Read more »

Mathijs Savicevic
Mathijs Savicevic
Reply to  Pa ibra

Completely agree my friend from Malmedy. Especially with these fast forwards like Andre Silva, Cutrone and Suso Milan should always press as much as possible. If I were a trainer who has to play against Milan, there is only one thing you should do to disable Milan and that is to put the defense under pressure. Abate, Zapata, Romagnoli and also Bonucci now will make big mistakes. Or like you earlier mentioned, individual errors. These things happen when the opponent is able to execute pressure on their opponents. The defense gets a lot more “jobs” to do which proofs how… Read more »

Pa ibra

When youre Dutch you know about the pressing game and how effective it can be.

Mathijs Savicevic
Mathijs Savicevic
Reply to  Pa ibra

But regrettably, the National Dutch team does not have a clue about the pressing play

oluwa shevy

Comment:we r winning dats for sure not being sentimental here d. worst scenario is a draw which is fair enough we Av not loss in Sansiro dis season I believe we Kan kip dat going.

ACMilanSince 69
ACMilanSince 69

Montella seems like a nice person but is not a good coach. He was brought in because Mihajlovic didn’t suck up to Berlusconi and his family and Montella was willing to do so. I doubt that the Chinese are planning on him for the long term. My suggestion is to bring back Mihajlovic or hire Donadoni who has done his time with mid-level teams and was a Milan player.
On another note, why did Milan hire another Juve head case and make him captain?

Raven
Raven

Tic Tac Tic Tac

Ajii
Ajii

Dona
Abate. Mussa. Bonnu/Roma. RR

Kessie. Biglia.

Suso. Hakan. Bonaventura

Kalinic/ silva.
Might be a good setup just doubt suso and bonaventura’s abilities to track back plus there’s no spirit and heart from the team as a whole . Maybe this team needs prayers, Atalanta plays better than us.

Reply to  Ajii

Hhhhhh , maybe 433 will work better with suso and hakan on the left and right .

kow otoo

let give him up to de middle of de season so dat we can make good assessment of him.still yet to prove himself though z a new squad n requires a lot of work to be done on them be4 dey jel , Carleto can’t turn things immediately so let give him some tym n I thing wit dat we will be fair enough to him if he fails to perform n z axed. just be courageous 4 dis ambitious projects, Mr montella. Milan faithfuls let exercise a bit of patience as de saying goes Patience z bitter but it… Read more »

oluwa shevy

Comment:david Silva on our radar can’t wait if it seems true wil b happy we need creativity in dat area fabregas will b OK also n a center defender in January bonucci is not reliable he played his name in juventus

yourBoss
yourBoss

Milan will do a job vs Roma and then crumble in the derby. Will be another season of inconsistency and frustration.

olumide
olumide

dear all,

the coach will be ready against Roma and YOU ALL WILL BE SURPRISE

Puang_Machink
Puang_Machink
Reply to  olumide

Lol…. Hope so.
I never care who was coaching Milan, but sure, i loved whem we win. At least, we have great gameplay.

nick
nick

Milan looked horrible. When I watch Milan play it is clear to see that we don’t have a game plan like most teams. Why is Bonucci playing like a quarterback instead of playing the ball through the midfield or wingbacks? We turn over the ball and give possession away so easily that teams are always catching us on the counterattack because Bonucci is forcing the long balls to Silva and Cutrone instead of playing through Locatelli, Kessie, Calhanoglu or Bonaventura and the wings to build our attack patiently and pull teams out of position? Is Montella telling Bonucci to do… Read more »

Abe
Abe

Can we just get ancelloti back?

Baresis Dream
Baresis Dream

I feel for Montella. He’s a good coach with great people skills and a good sense of tactics. His record speaks for itself. But he is facing the test of his life. With a decent but not so great squad, the fans and mgmt already at his throat, it’s an uphill battle. And the fact that this season is one of the most important in our history, doesn’t add to the calmness of everyone around. And then Ancelotti gets fired… I personally am still behind you coach, despite the mistakes you made. I blame most of the bad results on… Read more »

Ali
Ali

“We were in control for almost the whole game” #montellaout

chiguy

Comment:I have the hunch we will defeat both Roma and Inter

dejan10
dejan10
Reply to  chiguy

That would be nice but I can’t see it. How we’re playing at the moment like a bunch of confused grandmas I think we’re going to get shafted by both.

oluwa shevy

Comment:baresis dream nice one tel dem all dis impatience fans leave dis coach let him do is job n wish him all d best. Milan does not Av a classical squad put montella in juventus squadron man u n watch is impute d same tin goes to allegri when he was at Milan u guys cry for his head n left n he is doing well in a better team. u all know d truth we don’t Av team just mediocre despite d moni we spent.fozza

Agni
Agni

Blah blah blah blah montella.
Actions speak louder than words.
Win the Roma and inter games and everything will calm down. If you mess up these two games then there’s no looking back for you.

efosa
efosa

and no one will remember borini now,he made to assist in our win last night and does not get a single praise but if he had flopped we will all throw the hammer at him….and chiguy Milan are not competitive enough yet to beat both Roma and inter we need time to do that

hbsl
hbsl

He should please loose to Roma and Inter so that we can have peace. These guy drives me MAD

Milanellofm
Milanellofm

I have a question for people who don’t like Kessie. What do you not like about him? Do you expect him to score goals? Do you expect him to win every ball? He is 20 years old and he has been milans best midfielder Thi season. He’s a great box to box player and we haven’t had anyone that good since gattuso/van bommel. Sure he has made mistakes but name one player on milan who hasn’t? Let the kid work in peace and be thankful it’s not pasalic or flamini starting instead.

Kourosh
Kourosh
Reply to  Milanellofm

Kessie is awesome. He has already had some amazing performances for us, while when he played bad, the whole team was a disaster not just him.

He’s one of the best and will be one of the very best in future.

Alexmilan
Alexmilan
Reply to  Milanellofm

I expect to him not to lose critical balls in our own area, not to make critical errors that mean goals conceeded. He is not Milan’s best midfielder yet, ok ??? Until now he was awful in every game that seemed more difficult, so take it easy !

dapito
dapito

men, all of you forget that someone has assitant manager for 3 manager… TASSOTI… please bring him for manager

folumilano
folumilano

Montella should forget about this three man defense thing and simply look at zidane style of rotation. Use your brain as only bonucci understands three man defense thing, and even that he is still making grievous mistakes as the other two do not understand this. Please use four man defense or try kessie or loccatelli or mauri in romagnoli/muchassio position or even bench bonucci he is overhyped. Montella be creative and wise, even the stubborn mourihno changed his approach, or do you want to be life villa boas who used miereles, ramires, Romeo midfield to ruin his carrier at Chelsea.

ted
ted

Team needs time to gel. Milan bought 8 new 1st team players it is foolish to expect instant impact but the problem is Milan need results otherwise we’ll be at the same bottom point selling our prides due to financial burden. I was and I still am sceptical over new ownership, they have no financial cover, everything is build on more debts. And now is reported Li is looking for a new partner as this burden is too much for him. Sigh…

Milanellofm
Milanellofm

Awful in every game that seemed difficult? We must be watching two different games. Against Lazio or sampdoria who was even average in those games? And yet u put the blame on him