Montella: “It is in difficult times when I do best, Milan eager to play the Rijeka game tomorrow, the criticisms…”

Vincenzo Montella before Milan-SPAL at Stadio San Siro on September 20, 2017. (@acmilan.com)

Vincenzo Montella has explained why he parted ways with Emanuele Marra and claimed: ‘I do not believe that we should throw everything away’ despite the heavy criticism after the Samp defeat.

The last few days have not been easy for Montella as after the 2-0 loss against Sampdoria on Sunday, many turned against him and some of the newspapers already wrote that he could be on the way out if he does not win against Roma and Inter in the next two Serie A matches.

Montella has already reacted, separating with his long-term athletic trainer Emanuele Marra. But the only answer the coach can give to satisfy the fans is on the pitch; tomorrow Milan face HNK Rijeka at San Siro (21:05 CET kickoff) and anything but a win will put a lot of pressure on Montella.

“Everything is part of the game,” he said in today’s presser. “I’m calm and balanced and these have been very challenging hours. I know that I train a glorious team and I have the desire and the energy to train it. I have identified some things that need intervening and I know the track is the right one.

“I want to prove my value, my passion and determination. I am comfortable at the club and I would like to thank the management for all the support. Mirabelli and Fassone allow me to work with full autonomy, they respect my decisions. I am proud to work with them and to be the coach of Milan.

“This is a tough period and it’s in difficult times when I do best. As a player, I had 13 serious injuries and I always fought back to continue playing. When coaching Catania and Fiorentina I also went through tough times and I responded on the pitch. I am sure I will be able to do the same here.

Vincenzo Montella and Leonardo Bonucci during a press conference at Milanello on September 27, 2017. (@acmilan.com)

“The decision to replace athletic coach Emanuele Marra? He wasn’t the problem, but disagreements can happen. He is like a brother to me. It was a very difficult decision for me, and I have made it also to protect the rest of my brothers of the staff. He knows how much I respect him, it’s just that we were not on the same page anymore. He’s not a scapegoat, these things can happen.

“I wish him good luck. We grew up together, but if there isn’t the same conviction or vision, separation becomes inevitable. I love Marra, I took risks with him and for him. In these moments, we don’t share the same vision and that wasn’t the right energy to transmit to the boys.

Vincenzo Montella during training at Milanello. (@acmilan.com)
Vincenzo Montella during training at Milanello. (@acmilan.com)

“The decision to publicly post the separation with Marra [Montella made the announcement through his Twitter account]? I’ve learned that news cannot be hidden and I preferred to give it directly from me. The club totally supports me in the choices of my staff. They give me carte blanche. The choice was totally mine and the future [choice for a new athletic trainer] will be mine. I thank the club.

“A new athletic trainer? I am waiting for my candidate to reply. Let’s see if he agrees to come. The need for a new physical preparation plan? I feel prepared regarding it, I’ve studied more than one [plan]. Something must change if there is a rush to get results. When you want to start something new, you need to make important changes, from a mental standpoint, we need something else.

The squad during training at Milanello. (@acmilan.com)
The squad during training at Milanello. (@acmilan.com)

“The disappointment of the fans [some are calling for his immediate sack]? The Rossoneri fans have shown us attachment and confidence. Maybe there’s a bit of disappointment. We want to change the trend and mentality is created with time and you often stumble. We are in the Champions League zone, we are fully in the race, there are things to improve but they were all predictable.

“Mistakes we should not repeat? Certainly, we did something wrong in the preparation on the mental level. You need to recover quickly to tackle the matches. You should not have an alibi but look for wins with hunger and sacrifice. There are some guys who need to be accompanied more than others but we all go in the same direction to write an important page of this history.

“Creating a mentality when there are so many new players is more difficult, we are coming from an environment that has not won for so many years. I’m sure that we will get there soon. The criticisms? I think I’m very balanced in these things. I have been further stimulated in a positive manner and the track is the right one. I do not feel in difficulty because I’m motivated and combative. There can be two incidents [the two defeats] in this new project. I have given my interpretation and we go forward.

Fabio Borini during training at Milanello. (@acmilan.com)
Fabio Borini during training at Milanello. (@acmilan.com)

“Criticisms regarding our transfers? It was a very important campaign. Winners, ready players and potential players were signed. They are functional players but there is a need for an adaption. It’s a team that can grow, maybe even without me, in the next five years. It’s a team that is worth a lot and will be worth much. When I do the starting XI I don’t wonder how much the players cost.

“The difficulties of a new group? I see great predisposition. If we erased the last game and replaced it with a 0-0 then we probably wouldn’t be talking about this difficulty. I know it’s hard to amalgamate, the task is arduous but I want to run and get there as soon as possible. I don’t believe that we should throw everything away, I believe a hint of identity has already been seen and is already there.

The squad during training at Milanello. (@acmilan.com)
The squad during training at Milanello. (@acmilan.com)

“Rijeka? There have been some bumps, but we’re eager to play the game tomorrow. They are a practical and physical team, so you need to be compact against them. The upcoming chain of games [Rijeka, Roma and Inter]? These are very demanding games, difficult ones against direct opponents.

“Nonetheless, it will also be tough for them. These matches, however, give us extra motivation, I hope they will serve us to continue our improvement. Paletta can possibly start tomorrow? Gabriel has behaved exemplarily since the first day and I thank him again. I still have to do some assessments, there must be a competitive team on the pitch tomorrow and I have to make some evaluations.

Gabriel Paletta, Nikola Kalinić, Ricardo Rodriguez and Franck Kessié during training at Milanello. (@acmilan.com)

“Differences between the Europa League and Serie A? I have to go beyond the numbers. Our first games of the season were in the Europa League and we didn’t come off other games. The match against Samp was the fifth in a series in which we played every three days and we showed ourselves to be mentally flushed against Sampdoria. How many players are used to playing every three days? It requires preparation and habit, and we don’t have a lot of players that are used to it.

“As such, there’s been a mental decline. I have to work on their mental toughness so they can adapt to this new rhythm in football. The club? I have felt a profound esteem on the part of this club, professionally and humanely. The fate of a coach is related to the results but not always. It’s part of my job to know how to manage also moments in which I can be questioned.”

Vincenzo Montella during Sampdoria-Milan at Stadio Luigi Ferraris on September 24, 2017. (@acmilan.com)

After the presser, Montella also had an interview with Sky Italia: “A turning point? I think so, this is a moment of growth and turn. I’m motivated, willing and even a little anxious to get back on the pitch. Sampdoria? I thought a lot and I did a careful and non-humorous analysis. The performance was sluggish, it wasn’t up to the standards Milan want to set. We have to change this trend on the pitch.

“Critics and difficulties? There is no time to read everything but my career has always been made up of traumatic situations which helped me grow. As a player I had 13 operations, and as a coach there are turning points. You can understand the values of a coach by the reactions to difficulties.

“Marra’s exit [they worked together since Fiorentina]? It’s a person I thank, he’s a brother and my staff is like a family. There have been divergences and in a staff, it is important we all carry the same idea. I’ve noticed this small different, I wish him the best, I thank him so much and I don’t regret anything.

Hakan Çalhanoğlu during Milan-SPAL at Stadio San Siro on September 20, 2017. (@acmilan.com)

“Hakan Çalhanoğlu? He’s a very talented player, but we’re playing every three days. It’s normal that there’s rotation, he’s coming off months where he didn’t play because he was banned [by FIFA]. He’s come to a new league and he needs to grow, sometimes also resting. For those reasons, he can’t play every three days, but he has our confidence, he’s a talented player.

“Conti’s injury [he will be out for 6 months]? He’s a young, enthusiastic and quality player. We will miss him and we hope he will come back as soon as possible. We have alternatives, one of them is Borini on which I’m working, as well as Abate and Calabria. We have internal solutions.

André Silva and Suso during training at Milanello. (@acmilan.com)
André Silva and Suso during training at Milanello. (@acmilan.com)

“André Silva [who will start tomorrow]? He’s a boy of is 21-year-old, he comes from a different league. What has been paid for him is not my job, he needs to grow and adapt to the Italian defenses that leave you half a second less. He will demonstrate his potential, as we have already seen.”

Montella is going to rest some players on Thursday and while the immediate task is Croatian champs Rijeka, the thoughts of Vincenzo are also on Roma. He will hope his team reacts, starting tomorrow.

Naz
Naz

I really feel for Montella and genuinely hope he’s the man for the job but if these types of results become almost commonplace then I also hope with the same conviction that the club acts fast and cuts him loose, it’s going to be a photofinish for champions league positions and every point will be needed, we’ve already lost 6 while giving them to two direct opponents which I think has already seriously jepordised our chances, the only saving grace is that at least we get to play them both again and at home so we’ve a chance to at… Read more »

Manga la figa
Manga la figa
Reply to  Naz

This ain’t words of a good coach. It’s another incarnation of Pippo as a coach.
You don’t need pressure to work best as a coach. You should have clear, concise and good ideas from the beginning. He doesn’t

Reply to  Manga la figa

well said

Bynz
Bynz
Reply to  Manga la figa

agreed if we have to wait until he is under pressure to start performing then by then it may be too late for Milan to achieve what is expected of them. Silva and Cutrone should start more, Milan can play with 2 strikers, Suso should not play out of his natural position, Bonucci is the only one accustomed to a 3 man backline, Abate is not the player he used to be so dont expect him to make offensive runs, Zapata should be a benchwarmer not a starter, and lastly Montella needs to be alert at all times and make… Read more »

Geezy
Geezy

In difficult times is when you do your best but when not under pressure you under perform,rubbish

Mathijs Savicevic
Mathijs Savicevic

Montella is not the man for this job. He rotates too much. Players are disoriented and thus demotivated because anyone has a starting position. Players need hierarchy and competition.
Then, Montella has absolutely no clue about playing 3-5-2. I bet if Bonucci was the coach, they would have played better than last Sunday. Takes time that those two clash with each other.
Milan needs a trainer like Simeone, Guardiola or Conte. A coach who gives structure to his players and can work with youngsters.

Olayiwola
Olayiwola

“Something must change if there is a rush to get results”oh, montella, you dont need to be told a club need a semi-immediate impact when a huge sum of £222milllion been spent. Play the players we the fans and management wanna see on the pitch. Even mourinho play Flop pogba last season and still got result.

Pa ibra
Pa ibra

I would like to know the duration of time Montella think should be enough and fair to get the team ready. Certainly cant keep using this excuse all season. Not expecting it to be all smooth and beautiful right away but I mean the team is looking the same like the first day I saw them playing if not even worst but Montella think this is a normal growing process. And please Montella, playing every 3 days is the standard we are looking for and if you cant cope then go to Bologna. Well I really liked this coach before… Read more »

hbsl
hbsl

He should go to Cyprus or Iran to coach a second division team

John

He is certainly not right for the job he should go his rotation policy is rubbis why should mucaccio be on the bench mistake pro Zapatta???

Kaka22
Kaka22

I’m just wondering Montella with less than a quarter of the money we spent this season was able to finish 4th in three consecutive seasons with fiorentina. This man also carried fiorentina to the semifinals of the Europa league. Also took Catania to their highest ever position in seria a. This are the reasons I had so much faith in him when we appointed him. So how come he’s struggling so much now? This is the reason why as much as I’ve lost faith in him,I still have a tiny bit of hope that he can turn things around for… Read more »

Dan
Dan
Reply to  Kaka22

Well said mate!!

Roy
Roy

I hate montela’s lame excuses for not playing hakan and andre silva. They have been pretty decent in all the games they started. Much better that their replacement. The main reason we keep losing is Montela has a small team mentality and is rubbing off on the players. We should approach every seria a game the same way we approach europa games. Put the best attacking 11 out there and make the opponent crumble under pressure. Thats how u develop a big team mentality. He needs to learn something from Gasparini. Atalanta doesn’t care if they are playing Madrib or… Read more »

Abe
Abe

Last season was a difficult time tho.

Milan Boy
Milan Boy

It is really trying times for Montela, I am not happy with his rotation process but I think he has traces of a great coach in him. Most great coaches may have made similar mistakes before they became more experienced, it is unfortunate that he is gaining this experience at the expense of our lovely Milan but that is how life is. I think some more realistic fans expected some bumps along the way of our rebuilding process, how does it now seem that virtually every body never expected this slip? Is it not better that our lapses are made… Read more »

Chris
Chris

My problem is he always said silve is nt.ready he come frm a different league one story everytime Liverpool bring in players frm different league n d play very well napoli bring in players day also play good football is ur cause case different if u bring in player frm another league dn play him for 3or4 March tright for him to balance nt keeping him on the bench

The Rossoneri Group
The Rossoneri Group
clef
clef

Comment:D early d better for Milan,sack letter if not belt me Milan will finished six again,we need a champion league coach.

tunchi
tunchi

o your words touched me Mr montella, I font know y I like this man so much

Agni
Agni

Win against Rijeka would mean nothing.
Europa league games are useless up till semifinals. It gets serious only from semis onwards.

You have to win against Roma and inter to prove anything.

Alayo

Rotation is the main problem of this team.Montella needs to work out a suitable starting Xi and give them playing time to gel.Forza milan

Alexmilan
Alexmilan

Words and excuses ! Nothing serious from this clown ! It seems to me that there weren’t good journalists in this press conference. Why no one asked him why he didn’t make any substitution until 77 minute ?? Why did he stay like a zombie until that minute? Because he’s telling us that he has energy and motivation to train Milan. F… loser coach ! He is a clown for what he did until now

Nazz
Nazz

Excuses….

YK
YK

The problem of Montella is clear! he has no clue playing other formations than his 4-3-3! Now,don’t get me wrong if I were him and in his shoes,I’d play with the 4-3-3 since it’s something I know better. The main reason we lost away to Lazio was not because of that formation but because of his selections. In this new formation we’re very bad because our best players have been rendered useless so for the games against Roma and inter Montella should play with the 4-3-3 with our possible strongest lineup.

Coach Seedorf
Coach Seedorf

Off Topic When we finally succeed in driving Perfect10 from here again, I believe he’ll change his name this time to “the 3 eyed raven” lol. Since he sees everything years before any of us gets to know or see it. Things that club management with all their football experts and analysts don’t see, perfect 10 sees them 10years before time and starts complaining and ringing the bells and insulting everyone on this blog since we can’t see what he is seeing. Change your ways or leave this blog peacefully for the real fans please. N.B- Please no one here… Read more »

Baresis Dream
Baresis Dream

What happens when we play silva-hakan and this 3-5-2 and loose? Who will everyone blame then? Almost everyone here is taking the Vienna match as some kind of serious indication. It was not. It was more or less at the level of a practice match with a team from a lower division. As all other Europa-nothing cup matches. All that’s important is that no body gets injured in these matches, and the 1st team squad gets rested. So far we have digressed in terms of our playing level in comparison to last season. I blame Montella mostly for this, but… Read more »

EIghteen99
EIghteen99

So will goes next? The Milan Doctors? Stop the blame game!

Ali
Ali

Ooooo! Some great news for those who oppose replacing Mister Allenatore, according to Gazetta, Kessie and Bonucci are going to start the game and Borini is going to play in RR’s position. Amazing, eh?

Mike
Mike
Reply to  Ali

My god. Borini. And kessie again. For basically a dead rubber just cuz he doesnt want to be embarrassed with a bad result after all the weeks events. More and more montella seems like a guy who is pretending to have character when he doesnt actually have any

dubfire
dubfire

It seems Ancelotti will be sacked by Bayern…..let the madness begin! :))

makAveli
makAveli

Well Ancelotti has been sacked . Because of stupid selection in one game. Psg so so so much more supreme than Sampdoria. Bayern created several chances and missed. Milan had zero short on target and our 40m striker stayed on the bench throughout. Difference between Bayern and Milan is that it takes only a couple of games to see the direction their team is heading towards. Meanwhile, here we are.. expecting more shit from Montella and fans will say. “Oh, give him time”

makAveli
makAveli

Do you guys remember Milan bought players very very early to allow Montella prepare his team better!? With the exception of Bonucci, all the signings were clear from the start. Yet till now this idiot is still experimenting, trying to figure out formations and lineups

Kofi_be
Kofi_be

#AncelottiIN

Milanellofm
Milanellofm

Wow cannot believe that ancelotti was sacked. I don’t think he will join us though. He’s going to take a break again at least until January. I love Carlo but if he were to come and milan perform badly he’ll just be blamed. If he gets hired everyone needs to finally understand that he will have a four year project to get us back to the top. Milan aren’t going to just fire montella for the sake of it too. We’ll see what happens

nick
nick

Official: Ancelotti has been sacked by Bayern Munich.

I’m here waiting for the news now on Montella which my guess is that it come after the game against Roma.

That way Ancelotti can prepare Milan for the derby against Inter.

Lady luck and faith is on our side. Don’t want Montella on the bench after today’s game. Was never a fan of his football.

His teams at Fiorentina and Catania took some heavy defeats and now Milan is much of the same level even after spending over 200k. Smh

Ali
Ali

Am I the only person here who doesn’t want Carletto back?

Mathijs Savicevic
Mathijs Savicevic
Reply to  Ali

No, Ancelotti is not the man who is good in working with youngsters. But he is in anyway better than Montella so…. I would give it a try but still prefer trainers like Pep, Simeone and Van Gaal

Numerouno
Numerouno

Come on. Get Ancelotti nowww!

azad
azad

Psg bought like 15 new players and they won the league in the first year! Chelsea the same story. We bought 11 players in early stages of transfer market but we couldn’t even make a single shot on targert against sampdoria! And this might be due to our fitness trainer… I see.

Frankilan
Frankilan

Anything is better than Montella now

Mike
Mike

Ancelotti, as much as i miss the guy, is a specialist at managing egos – teams filled with stars (What happened at bayern is anyones guess). I dont see egos as being the problem with milan right now, seems like we have a lot of young players with plenty to prove and plus we have bonucci who seems to leave little room for ego trips from other players. Tactics wise, carlo was pretty innovative with his midfield diamond full of playmakers (seedorf rui costa kaka pirlo goddamn i miss those days) and christmas tree etc but im not sure about… Read more »

nana
nana

Montella speaks as if Milan is the only team playing thrice a week. What about Napoli, juve, Lazio, and the rest of astute teams outside the peninsula? If professional players can’t play together for at least four matches in a row then I think we are lesser than a college team. Stop the wanton rotation and stick to a core 11 around which your ideas are spelt for crying out loud

Naz
Naz

Ancelotti would be the best signing of the year if we could get him
He’s proven to be a world class top of the range manager in every department for the past decade
He would get our midfield roaring like a Lamborghini and once and for all BUY A PLAYMAKER

Jibola
Jibola

Its obvious that he still hasn’t learned seeing Borini coming to fill in for RR. A youth natural left winger would do for this Europa game and would also be an opportunity to discover another player from our youth academy.

He said Calha is tired and that is wayyyy ridiculous considering the fact that the boy has played quite less and rotated. He feels an unfit Bona is better.

Andre Silva deserves more chance, he needs games to understand the league and gain more confidence.

Bohem
Bohem

Woohoo…oh yes…oh no…Oh God…now Milan has an alternative for Montella…Welcome Home Don Carlo!!!

oluwa shevy

Comment:lets give montella some time please ancelloty can’t work with dis players we don’t have a world class player apart from bonnuci so I think he won’t kum Bcos he don’t want to fail for d second time u can’t compare Bayern squad wit ours yet he was sack.