André Silva: “Milan had a great game, I’m happy to bring the ball home, there is a good understanding with Kalinić”

André Silva, Franck Kessié amd Luca Antonelli celebrating during Austria Wien-Milan at Ernst-Happel-Stadion on the 14th of September, 2017. (@acmilan.com)

André Silva hopes there are more hat-tricks in the future for him and says Milan had a different approach against Austria Wien than against Lazio.

Coach Vincenzo Montella changed the system to 3-5-2 with Hakan Çalhanoğlu in midfield and André Silva-Nikola Kalinić in attack, and it worked very well last night against Austria Wien in Matchday 1 of the 2017/18 Europa League Group Stage (5-1).

Silva started for the first time since the Shkëndija away match on August 24th and it was seen from the get go that he is hungry to score and prove himself. He finished the match with a hat-trick (11′, 20′, 56′) and became the first Milan player to do so in Europe since Kaka in 2006.

“I’m very happy to win and bring home the ball. We had a great game. Scoring goals is my duty. Çalhanoğlu helped me a lot [the Turkish #10 assisted two of the Portuguese’s goals on Thursday] but the credit goes to everyone. We have to continue like this,” Silva told MilanTV after the match.

Speaking to Sky Italia, he added: “It was my first start in the Europa League, I got a hat-trick and am very grateful to my teammates. We put in a great performance. I felt good alongside Kalinić. I’m happy to be part of this squad and get along with all my teammates, as we give our best for each other. The coach will decide if I am ready to start in Serie A [the next match is on Sunday against Udinese at 15:00 CET]. I work hard and we are all fighting for the same team objective.”

André Silva and Hakan Çalhanoğlu during Austria Wien-Milan at Ernst-Happel-Stadion on the 14th of September, 2017. (@acmilan.com)

The 21-year-old, who arrived from Porto for €38m plus bonuses this summer, also spoke in the mixed zone of Ernst-Happel-Stadion: “I’m very happy to bring the ball home and I hope it’s not the only one. I hadn’t scored three goals until now. It was important to have such a performance. On a personal level, I want to thank all my teammates who enabled me. It’s their merit more than it is mine.

“Çalhanoğlu? As I’ve already said, I want to thank my teammates and therefore also him. Milan were impressive [many believe that it was their best match so far this season]? The credit is not mine but instead should be shared with all the teammates. We hope that we can continue this way.

“The defeat to Lazio? Football is not just winning or losing, there are other factors and it is often full of obstacles. I did my job scoring the goals. Compared to the Lazio game, we moved in a different way and with a different attitude. We changed the tactics, chosen by Montella and the goals arrived.

André Silva and Nikola Kalinić celebrating during Austria Wien-Milan at Ernst-Happel-Stadion on the 14th of September, 2017. (JOE KLAMAR/AFP/Getty Images)

“Kalinić? There is a good understanding and desire to score and play together. The important thing is the work of the team, it doesn’t matter who plays with me or in my place. We continue to work as a duo to find the right spaces and we continue to play in order to achieve these results.

“A hat-trick in Europe? Yes, I’m very happy to be closer to champions like Kaka and Shevchenko. A message from Cristiano Ronaldo? I haven’t looked at my phone yet…”

Well, he gave all the politically correct answers so credit to his pr. Personally i’d rather hear real talk like gullit, seedorf or ibra used to give but as long as he continue scoring, especially in europe like young sheva once did, i dont have complains. Andiamo andriy

Manga la figa
Manga la figa

True, true.
But what a way to respond with a resounding pounding of a minnow.
I think the team showed character. This formation is a keeper.
Montella took his head out of his butt finally and drew up a good game plan.

Simo
Simo

I think we played a good game, but don’t forget that it wasn’t a well prepared team to beat. What i’ve seen that André Silva and Calhanoglu should combine to each other, they already know the others moves. Despite André Silva scored a hat-trick, i can also mention Calhanoglu as MVP – in a free role behind the strikers, he did miracles (once again have to be told: against a weaker opponent), so his role should be this. Kalinic needs more playing time if he can solve the situation and the problems related to him, because now i see that… Read more »

Pato

Andre Silva will become a great player in Milan history

Klum
Klum
Reply to  Pato

If he continues like this. At best he could do a Ronaldo at real or at least Raul in the same white colors. 344 goals is not bad yet it would be the best goal tally ever by great margin in the red black colors.

Naz
Naz

A lot of talk today will be about Silva and our attacking prowess and rightly so I thought they done great and Kalinic movement and hold up play made him hard to play against
I also think Roma done fantastic and looked every inch a future A.c. Milan champion like those gone before him, even Zapata played really well albeit had little to do but done it well none the less

efosa
efosa

now we r all singing songs of praise ,and it seems montella was right abt kalanic but let’s not be carried away and feel we have arrived yet,montella should field his best players against udinese.there is still hope to finish high up the league

Klum
Klum
Reply to  efosa

Well said Efosa.

kaka
kaka

I’m very happy to be closer to champions like Kaka and Shevchenko. A message from Cristiano Ronaldo? I haven’t looked at my phone yet, i hope CR7 is happy to see his brother doing well in the club side. Good work Team Great Forza Milan.

tunchi
tunchi

Silva am not praising u cos u scored 3 but cos d way u hold ball on your feet,cutrone is good but not their yet,play him when we meet d boys and play Silva when we meet d big boys,kalinic u didn’t score but am very much OK with u performance and u deserve more time on d pitch,chalhanoglu u re a darling

alaric
alaric

i like kalinic because his type of play..he is a target man…that long enough since we have pazzini as milan last target man…

Agni
Agni

Well done Silva. Congrats for the hat trick.
I’m sure you will start now onwards.
Udinese will be much harder, but I hope you can help us sail through.

kabson
kabson

nice winning…..keep it up ….forza milan

Carlo Gambino
Carlo Gambino

The Rossoneri Group: “Forza Milan”
To Get The Latest Update On Ac Milan News & Group Chat/Discussion Add Us On Whatsapp Chat: 08131515005.