Niang: “I don’t see myself staying at Watford, my future? I’ll meet Milan’s new owners and we’ll make a decision”

M'Baye Niang celebrates during Milan-Lazio at Stadio San Siro on September 20, 2016. (Photo by Marco Luzzani/Getty Images)
M’Baye Niang celebrates during Milan-Lazio at Stadio San Siro on September 20, 2016. (Photo by Marco Luzzani/Getty Images)

M’Baye Niang has asked Watford to not use their buy-out option and told L’Equipe ‘If for the good of the club and my career, I am to stay at Milan then I will stay at Milan with great pleasure!’

Niang moved to Watford in January on loan with a buy-out option set at €18m, but despite making 16 appearances in the Premier League, which include 2 goals and 2 assists, the French striker has revealed that he doesn’t wish to keep wearing the colors of The Hornets.

“My assessment of my loan spell at Watford? I only take positive things,” he said in an interview to L’Equipe. “I have evolved in a club which gave me confidence and gave me the playing time I came here for. From a collective point of view, we managed to stay up, even if I think we could have done better. In any case it was a pleasure to discover the Premier League, which was one of my dreams.

“If I want to stay at Watford? I owe a lot to the club, which allowed me to discover a new League, a new mentality and which allowed me to play regularly, which is what I aspired to. I really took a lot of pleasure from football here. But, if Watford have an option to buy which the directors want to take, I don’t see myself staying there. This is only for personal reasons, this has nothing to do with the fans – who I sincerely want to thank – but with the club, everything didn’t happen as I wanted.

AC Milan's Italian forward Gianluca Lapadula (L), French Forward M'Baye Niang and Colombian defender Cristian Zapata (R) attend a training session in the Qatari capital Doha on December 22, 2016, on the eve of the Final of the Italian Super Cup between AC Milan and Juventus. / AFP / KARIM JAAFAR (Photo credit should read KARIM JAAFAR/AFP/Getty Images)
Gianluca Lapadula, M’Baye Niang and Cristian Zapata during training in Doha on the 2nd of December 2016 (KARIM JAAFAR/AFP/Getty Images)

“It really touches me to hear the directors say for a few weeks that they want to buy me, but I gave myself time for reflection, I weighed-up the pros and cons and, despite the great opportunity offered by Watford, I don’t see my future there. I understand the disappointment from a club which counted on me. I’d ask them for understanding though, and to accept that my decision is irrevocable.

“My future? I think first things first I’ll go back to Milan to meet the new owners of the club so I can take stock and consider every option. Then we’ll take a decision together in the interests of all parties. I’m open to every option. If, for the good of the club and my career, I’m to stay at Milan then I’ll stay at Milan with great pleasure! If not, we’ll look for a solution which benefits everyone.

“These reflections and discussions will come in due course.” It’ll be interesting to if Milan will try to sell Niang or keep him in the squad of Vincenzo Montella, who signed a contract renewal on Tuesday.

Translation credit: Football Italia

Pelle80
Pelle80

Just stay far away from milan pls!

Hachim

More like che should come back. There is no point selling him as we won’t get much and he has a lot to offer us, especially on the counter.
Personally I think he is a good player who needs to work on his end product. As a result it would be cheaper and more benificial for the club to develop him in to a machine.

AC4M
AC4M

Only 18M???

kweku tims
kweku tims

Comment: since that famous miss against barcelona in champs league i ve always thought he might not realize his full potential

VICEROYMHZ
VICEROYMHZ

Comment: He is better as a striker or supporting striker than as a winger if montella wants him.

imadala
imadala

I think next season montella will play with 2 strikers

Dwayne
Dwayne

it’s only logical to continue having Niang in Milan now, Deulofeu is gone, who do you expect to have on that Left Wing position? Don’t say Keita or Papu Gomez or whoever because nothing concrete has been said of them, be realistic, we need to have someone on the wings as for now, and with our options thin, it’s good Niang has returned.

Baresis Dream
Baresis Dream
Reply to  Dwayne

I wouldn’t give up on Deulefeu just yet. The coach (rightfully so imo) wants him, and management can provide in terms of money.

obinna
obinna
Reply to  Dwayne

we have ocampos who is the white niang

Pelle80
Pelle80
Reply to  obinna

Ahahahahahahahahaha….

O'Gabbs
O'Gabbs

All that he needs is humility. Know it that you are no Messi. That way he will work harder and grow. Montella kept singing his praise blah blah blah about his quality and all that. Let him remain humble and learn besides I consider him a second striker

successor
successor

I read Ghezzal from Lyon might be joining Milan in weeks time…… He is a winger forward…..

Milanellofm
Milanellofm

Honestly, if we’re not going to get good money I’d keep him, either he performs well or if he’s average he’s good back up.. We’re finally in three competition and need depth.. He may not score many goals but if he plays well then great. If not he’s a good sub for pace and power and for resting others.

Kourosh
Kourosh

If we can get between 15m to 20m from his sell, I’d say we’d do well to sell him, be it a straight sell or as part exchange for another player. If not we should probably keep him in the squad but only for the bench since he can cover many positions up front.

Problem is his attitude. He has a shitty attitude when he sits on the bench and comes on later in the game. I don’t really have the patience for another frustrating player next season.

Sayin

Why not include him in a deal with Belotti from Torino? 60 mil + Niang + Kucka/Bertolacci or something. Would be a good deal imo and I prefer Belotti above a possible Morata move.

obinna
obinna

attack>morratta niang midfield>deulofeu kessie fellaini suso defense>mds romagnoli musacchio abate 4-4-2

dodoz
dodoz
Reply to  obinna

Who is Fellaini?

Hwyley
Hwyley
Reply to  obinna

U are not serious with that useless mds. A defender who cannot give accurate crossing and no confidence on the ball

Hwyley
Hwyley
Reply to  obinna

Get rid of romanogli and mds. They are too bad on the pitch

If bacca leaves then theres no point in selling niang because that’ll leave milan with 2 rookie cf and 1 possible serious one bcause no way milan can afford 2 cf in one mercato

Pa ibra
Pa ibra

Hes desperate to return after forcing his way out thinking it might be cooller out there. He wasnt too happy as back up and if still not content with that then I reckon he get sold.

RABI'U IDRIS

Sell him to everton 18, and rise the fund to to buy dembele

Misund
Misund

2016/2017 season
Lapedula
games played: 27
8 goals, 3 assist. Rating 6.70

2015/2016
Niang
Games played 16
5 goals, 4 assist.: Rating 7.02

Niang can be a very frustrating player to watch from time to time, but he is/can be better then what we currently have.

Donremie
Donremie

Gud observation, niang may seem useless to most people but he is better Dan deulofeu n ocampos n more productive…He should stay in Milan even if as a reserve…It’s better to have a strong backup