Milan meet with Atalanta for three and a half hours to discuss midfielder Kessié, face competition from Roma

Franck Kessie during Juventus-Atalanta at the Juventus Stadium on December 3, 2016. (Photo by Valerio Pennicino/Getty Images)

Franck Kessié is a target for Milan and talks will continue after the Rossoneri’s match with Atalanta in Bergamo later.

Atalanta are having a standout season and are in direct competition with Milan for a spot in the Europa League, and naturally many clubs have shown interest in their players – including the Rossoneri.

Mattia Caldara has already signed for Juventus, and Roberto Gagliardini joined Inter in January, and now Milan are trying to get their hands on Franck Kessié.

As reported by Milannews.it, Sky, La Gazzetta dello Sport and others, yesterday there was a 3.5-hour meeting between Marco Fassone & Massimiliano Mirabelli, with Atalanta President Antonio Percassi and his son Luca in their Milano offices.

In the meeting, they talked of Kessié, 20, and opened the negotiations, which according to Milannews.it, will continue after the match between Milan and Atalanta on May 13. There is competition from Roma, however, who already agreed a €28m deal for him in January; a deal that didn’t materialize due to Gagliardini’s Nerrazzuri move.

il Corriere della Sera suggests that while Roma remain in the lead for the player, Kessié seems to be leaning towards Milan, who are apparently willing to offer him a five-year contract worth €1.8-2 million per season. The Giallorossi won’t give up on him and are expected to meet Atalanta today.

Gianluca Di Marzio wrote on his website that in addition to Kessié, the future of Andrea Petagna was also discussed as Milan have a 50% share of his sale if he goes in this summer and 30% share if Atalanta sell him next season. The striker of course grew up in the Diavolo’s youth sector.

According to Sky, Sassuolo’s Alfred Duncan is also viewed as an option. Fassone and Mirabelli are working on the market and after reportedly securing Musacchio, they’re searching for a midfielder.

C
C

I have not wached him play more than 1 game against Milan so i cant judge but what can anybody say about him? Is he really worth it?

Mathijs Savicevic
Mathijs Savicevic
Reply to  C

He has a lot of potential

Travie
Travie

Yeah….he’s better than our current crop of midfielders except Bonaventura…

Reply to  Travie

Bonadinho > chuck norris roundhouse kick

Castle
Castle

My primary concern about this Kessie is not his qualities but if the dude is over 30. The picture of him looks good but from what I have seen on youtube I’m not very convinced. If Milan buy him I hope he turns out alright. Maybe do a Frank Rijkaard instead of a Winfried Bony.

Reply to  Castle

He’s 20. Looks older though lol, but so does Donnarumma.

Reply to  Castle

20 on paper, but around 25-30 in reality

Reply to  Gman

Haha 20 on paper. That reminds me of bad boys 2 joke about reggie the 16 yr old kid wanting to ask martin lawrence kid on a date,both martin and will smith pull a prank on him and say “motherf***er you look 30”

Reply to  Milan10

Try and see if you can find a picture of him from 3-4 yrs ago, if he looks the exact same….hehe.

Mansa
Mansa

He’s a fine player who will add quality no doubt, but I think there are better players for the money in question here

imadala
imadala

He is real btb midfieldwe need just like nainggplan for roma

I haven’t seen him, but since he’s been scouted by Chelsea and Roma, he has to have quality – hopefully… Otherwise, Duncan as an alternative… I have seen Duncan more than Kessie, and I can say that he is a beast, he never stops running, has good technique and a wicked left foot. He’s especially good against us, which are the games I’ve seen him excel in haha. I do think that priorities should be to extend our current players deals, and then focus on the signings. I know it’s a race with other teams, but it will also show… Read more »

Misund
Misund

That price is very high, I cant recall him doing anything special. I think if we cant get the price to drop we should go for Alfred Duncan. Always scary against us. Think he got what it takes. Atleat more proven then Kessie.

Reply to  Misund

So true about Duncan, I said the same thing.
It would be fun to raid Sassuolo for both Pellegrini and Duncan… take some of their players after all the pain they’ve caused us lol.

Reply to  Milanista121

Why not also go for berrardi while we r at it. He loves scoring against us.

ZeR0W1
ZeR0W1
Reply to  Gman

I think Berardi likes to score against everybody

Reply to  ZeR0W1

Two hat tricks against us

Misund
Misund
Reply to  Milanista121

Yeah, haha funny how bad Milan look when they play and then there are Sussoulo looking very good, I think their star players are worth every peny. after all they are a serie-b side who have been playing alot better then most serie-a teams after they got promoted.

RKaY
RKaY

I feel that we can buy a midfielder who brings more guarantees for 30 million, rather than using a huge chunk of our transfer budget on a “talent”. If we can afford kessie and an experienced/proven midfielder on top of him then it could work I suppose. All depends on our official transfer budget in the summer. But if it is the rumored 50 mil then we better hope we make money off of sales.

Kostassyl
Kostassyl

For 30 million € I say no… I think it’s a game between the two teams to increase the value of the player to be sold to Roma… This is a domino in my opinion… Kessié to Roma, naingolan to Chelsea and fabregas to Milan… And with the interesting from Chelsea for Sanchez it will be a good chance to make an offer for Willian to… A lot of money maybe but in the right direction for bringing back Milan at the top sooner than later…

Reply to  Kostassyl

If kessie transfer to roma can make fabregas come to milan then i’d say its good deal for everyone, but i dont think fab will pick milan over mu/lpool.
Willian is nice suggestion though. Hes exactly what milan needs; a fast and technical winger who can actually create assists. A black bonadinho if u will

Takus Maximus
Takus Maximus
Reply to  Milan10

Fabregas is going to china

VICEROYMHZ
VICEROYMHZ

Comment: it is either we get duncan,kessie or pelle plus an experienced player like fabregas,Isco or a a player of similar or beter quality in midfield, and the formation needs to change to have more players in midfield or a fluid formation. if we have loca,kessie,bona n any other player like suso or better, I think things should improve. I also think we should either promote 1 or 2 CB because palleta is red card prone n injury might come at anytime. in conclusion: 5/6cbs 1/2from youth sector, roma,gomez,mussachio,palleta. 3lbs,3rbs mfs;bona,loca,sosa,suso,kuco,plus any other 2 Cfs: Cutrone,Bacca,Lapa,(if they are not leaving),morata/belloti/abumeyang.… Read more »

Reply to  VICEROYMHZ

I agree, my choice would be Pellegrini and Fabregas. But Duncan is a very strong player, and maybe Montella wants a holding midfielder? Someone with the same characteristics as Van Bommel.
If we have 30 million to spend on ONE midfielder, it should be Fabregas imo, he has won a lot, and his passing would be so essential for our team.

1) im still not convinced about kessie transfer, not for that amount of money anyway. But he’s got time on his side so who knows. Its a big gamble though, like berto was. I watched atalanta – juve game and kessie the substitute didnt perform that much better than cristante. Its funny how some people want to buy kessie for 28 m or more (some actually want to buy pasalic for 10 m) yet milan let the real deal cristante go for much less. 2) mirabelli and fassone are so admirable at doing their job they actually made atalanta boss… Read more »

Reply to  Milan10

I dont see why we dont do as Roma, they’re smart. The buy back option for Pellegrini, we should have that for Petagna, not the percentage of an eventual sale, just like Saponara. Honestly, even if a big centre tank like Petagna – or old Vieri if you will – is a bit out of date, considering his age, he actually has decent stats. Wouldn’t mind bringing him back as at least a back up player. Albeit leaving him on loan for another year at Atalanta. His hold up play is impressive.

Reply to  Milanista121

Correctamundo mate. I envy roma mgmt; they know what theyre doing. Lets not forget what they did to milan with romag and berto deals.
Damn straight about petagna. That kid has potential to be as good as icardi. With him and niang milan will have st problem covered, if they can realize their potential. Enough of this mbappe rumours.
Mauri, darmian and cristante coming back would be nice too i think

Kourosh
Kourosh
Reply to  Milan10

I want to like what you said, I really do, but in truth I shudder at the thought of a Milan with Petagna, Niang, Mauri, Darmian and Cristante next season. And while Roma’s management looks to be good on some cases, it’s really not in general. Their team never wins because in the end they sell just about everybody and that includes their best players. Also, they buy horribly on a regular basis. Iturbe, Ibarbo, Gerson and Doumbia just to name a few. Maybe it changes now that Sabatini is gone but I was never a fan of him and… Read more »

Reply to  Kourosh

I never said anything about all of them coming back to milan precisely next season. If and only if niang or/and petagna realize their potential should they come back. Darmian and cristante arent likely to come. With all that said, one’d be lying if, position for position, guys like darmian, mauri and cristante arent better, if only slightly, than what milan have. Regarding roma, theyve been eternal losers since forever, even during glorious days of conti and totti, they just dont have it in them. But no one can say roma mgmt’s been doing worse than milan for past 4-5… Read more »

Reply to  Milan10

Exactly, its Roma who prices Berto to 20 million, we coul’ve gotten hiim for 10-15 million euros otherwise… I agree that Cristante has gotten better now at Atalanta, after all it’s been two-three years since he left us, but I still rate Locatelli higher, even at this state. I would like to have Darmian back though out of those players, and it’s likely to happen, why not? Rumours say he wants to come back to Italy, and I would hate to lose him to Inter… Would be nice to replace a youth product – De Sci – with another –… Read more »

kabir
kabir

milan need a midfielder that can beat 2-3 players at the same time nd passes the ball to striker to score, cos that what we re missing, we need Aubameyang or kun Aguero world top striker needed in milan nd kassie is good for milan.

Reply to  kabir

“A midfielder that can beat 2-3 players at the same time nd passes the ball to striker to score” if that doesnt describe reus or pastore i dont know what will

Reply to  Milan10

Reus is not a midfielder

Reply to  Gman

Reus can play as L/RM or AM so yeah he can be a midfielder

Reply to  Milan10

Rw/lw or cam is not in the middle of the pitch. C’mon son.

Reply to  Milan10

But daaaad, i wrote LM as in left MIDFIELDER not LWing. m, M, not W. Senior moment perhaps dad?
Ah so by that logic, giggs in his prime wasnt a midfielder because he mainly operated on left flank not in the middle of the pitch? Ur the best dad. Btw, can i use ur condom?

Cocor
Cocor

Need good coach too

Pa ibra
Pa ibra

Wouldnt be much different from the previous summers if its going to be Duncan Petagna & co again!! And like someone above mentioned about Kessie only been a sub in a recent big match against Juve , I have seen a few matches were he’s been hauled off while the game gets serious. He might be young but look at like Mbappe – he’s not gonna make way for a older player in an important match/moment. Milan at this moment need players who can be fully counted on through any situation and throughout the season . Youngsters like Kessie Canti… Read more »

Milanellofm
Milanellofm

I’ve watched some games that Kessie has featured in and I can say that one moment he’s an absolute beast and the next you wouldn’t know he’s there, but he’s only 20 and consistency comes with experience too. Even though I personally think that his price tag is a little much, so is everyone else nowadays. One thing for sure is he has the potential and I think Atalanta held him in higher respects to that of gagliardini. He’s a great box to box. Powerful, fast, dribbler, shooter. If milan pay that much for him I won’t complain because I’d… Read more »

Acmilanswiss
Acmilanswiss
Reply to  Milanellofm

give atalanta bertolaci+15m for kessie, or give torino 55m+bertolaci+sosa+poli+zapata for belotti

A92
A92

Donnaruma
De Sciglio(Calabria) – de Vrij – Romagnoli – Kolasanic
Kessie – Locatelli/Pellegrini
Suso – Tielemans(Bonaventura) – Deulofeu
Schick/Keita

Kourosh
Kourosh

I’ve seen him in a couple of matches this season, and he looked amazing in some games and good in others, which is to be expected from a 20 year old lad. (If he’s really 20!) He has massive potential, that’s for sure, and he is way, way better than Duncan, trust me. I think it would be a fantastic signing if it goes through, as after Juve and Inter we just have to pounce on that last big talent from Atalanta, and he might not be Italian be he might really be the best of that bunch. My only… Read more »

Reply to  Kourosh

I trust your judgement mate, and I bet you’ve seen more of Kessie than I have, and I bet you’ve seen your fair share of Duncan as well so you come to this conclusion. I totally agree about the african cup of nations, that’s what I think as well, which is the only downside… But if it was to come to this, if the 30 million budget is for one between Kessie and Fabregas, who would you choose? I doubt both of them will come, so my guess is one between Kessie and Fabregas and then perhaps the “low cost-option”… Read more »

RKaY
RKaY
Reply to  Milanista121

In my opinion, both fab and pellegrini would be the best way to spend our money for midfielders. The mix of experience and a young talent. I feel Roma would give in and pellegrini could be snatched up for 20 mil. Any more than that and I’d look elsewhere.

Kourosh
Kourosh
Reply to  Milanista121

Actually, if I have to choose between Fabregas, Kessie or Pellegrini my first choice would be Pellegrini. That guy is the best Italian midfield talent around and I’d love to see him in Milan but I’m afraid it’s either him or Kessie not because we want only one but because Roma wouldn’t sell him to us in case we get Kessie from right under their nose. Kessie and Pellegrini both could be fantastic additions to the squad, but if I have to choose one I choose Pellegrini regardless of the price tags. Regarding Fabregas, I agree a player with his… Read more »

Reply to  Kourosh

I agree with both of you guys, and my pick would definitely be Pellegrini. He has great technique, good with both feet, good passing shooting and good defensively as well. Has had a solid season and is only 20 years old. A midfield with him, Fab and Loca would be amazing imo. Despite Fab’s age i think he would be a great signing, he is a “champion” to quote Galliani and Berlu, even though he is not the only reason his teams wins, but it would send out a signal to our team and competitors that we mean business. Fab… Read more »

Misund
Misund
Reply to  Kourosh

I’m afraid fabregas does not want to come to Milan. I think his mind is set on champions league football and if he cant get that he will go to china and fill his pocket. Hope im wrong.

Pellegrini–Locatelli
———Kessie
To me that look very strong and young, But this still feel like a dream for me. I wont belive any signings before I see them :’D

Pato
Pato

I have watched this guy on d YouTube.. He is good if he is a defensive mildfilder. He attacks and can dribble as well. this is kind of player Milan needs. A typical Milan player should be able to hold the ball and dribble..not people like Poli who only knows how to defend or win ball but cannot attack when the need arise. The issue here is Milan management should be very very careful.. They should watch enough video clips of this guy to examine how he plays in different circumstances because we don’t want another Bertolacci. Isco of Real… Read more »

Reply to  Pato

Luckily for people working in football clubs, they can watch him live in action, not only highlights of his best features on youtube like us 😉

Simo
Simo

Kessie is OK. Belotti?

Bawse16
Bawse16

Please can someone start the #belottiMILAN trend…..We can get this guy!

ck

Why are you guys talking about all these transfer rumours???? Li’s reported assets is only 500M. After paying Berlusconi 250M, he only have 250M left. He still owes Elliot 300M. He doesn’t even have enough to pay Elliot to prevent the repossesion. Who is going to fund the transfer???? Higher wages mean higher debts as well. Or wll these transfer generate a revenue of 300M hahahaha. What about our current debts of 300M???? So all these transfer rumours whereby morabelli and fassone meeting agents and players are just hoax. Don’t take all these dramas and shows too seriously hahahaha.

Reply to  ck

U do know that its ses, a consortium with at least 6 investors, which own ac milan not just an individual right?

Ck
Ck
Reply to  Milan10

SES has only 1 shareholder and that is Mr Li Yonghong. U can google if you don’t believe me

Ck
Ck
Reply to  Ck

To be precise, it’s rossoneri sports investment lux who bought Milan and RSIL is 100% owned by Li.

Reply to  Milan10

The others “left” yongong li stands alone.

Reply to  Gman

Then milan is pretty much screwed right up the ass

Reply to  ck

He loan all the money 320m from Elliot and the rest from a bank. Didnt pay a dime from his own pocket. I dont belivie he even has a 500m fortune, he and his family are scammers. Check him out on wiki, you will be shocked.

Reply to  Gman

I dont know whats more tragic, milan/li financial situation or wikipedia as information sources

Reply to  Gman

So Elliot and banks are willing to loan him. If you don’t have a job, will bank offer you a credit card or a housing loan???? The answer is no. Why did they lend him the money?????

Reply to  ck

I have explained enough why Elliot’s repossesion of Milan is a dumb idea. Li and AC Milan has no money to return Elliot or any bank. So why did Elliot lend Li the money? Is Elliot a dumb hedge fund?

Reply to  ck

Lets keep it simple for ur own sake shall we? If ses’re really backed financially by this rich and generous mr x, then explain these: 1) why did take over process take so long? 2) Why didnt this santa claus pay berlu directly? Why did they need elliot’s money if it wasnt for last ditch attempt to prevent 200 m for backing out from the deal/inability to close the deal? 3) if the reason why they needed elliot was because china govt wouldnt allow exodus of money outta china, then a) how did they smuggle 200 m for down payment?… Read more »

Reply to  ck

Reply to  ck

The major banks in China didnt want to loan him money, that is also one of the reasons for the delay. If you loan money from elliot you have basically bendt over, his a&@ and milan is elliot’s property now.

Reply to  ck

Why did elliott lend li the money? Because li used collateral of course. In this case, his assets including ac milan

CK
CK
Reply to  Milan10

his asset is Milan. 300M loan and 400M total debts in 18 months. what asset is this?

CK
CK
Reply to  Milan10

Li’s personal asset is 500M, it is not even enough to buy Milan at 740M in the first place. Who is he to futther inject another 800M to 1B to make milan a sound business in future. Li can’t be this dumb to take on a business project that is far too big for him. will anyone spend his entire networth on one single business deal.

Reply to  Milan10

To your point 1 & 2) chinese red tapes and bureaucracies. If they can’t transfer money out, naturally they can’t pay Berlusconi directly. if this is a last ditch attempt, meaning this chinese owner do not have the funds, why will a Vulture funds like Elliot loan you the amount. Stop your Elliot repossesing nonsense. You yourself said that 300M of milan debts have to be paid off before it makes sense for Elliot to takeover Milan. 3A) once again i urge you to follow Milan news closely. Please don’t be like some indians who do not follow Milan news… Read more »

Reply to  Gman

A scanmer???? Hahahaha. Think harder. He is scamming Hedge funds and banks. If the financial sector can be scammed hundreds of millions so easily by a nobody, Li will be known as the greatest scammer on earth. You need to be more intelligent than this

Reply to  ck

U say “smart” or “intelligent” as often as scooby doo says “scooby doo bi doo” so be smart and do ur research. Find out why, unlike gotham, templeton, dalio’s bridgewater, elliott is called vulture fund. Find out how “vultures” like elliott or carl icahn conduct their businesses (let me kickstart u: they sue or just plain overthrow ceos and board of directors and take full control). Find out what they do to business enterprises or even countries like argentina or congo. Find out why “By 2009 more than one-third of Elliott’s portfolio was concentrated in distressed securities, typically in the… Read more »

CK
CK
Reply to  Milan10

i think all u need to is to give me a satisfactory answer on how and who is going to clear the 400M debts. if this debt can be cleared or reduced to a 100M, then it will make sense for Elliot to repossess Milan. What is Elliot’s business strategy and history as compared to other hedge funds like First State, Blackrock, Shroders isn’t my concern. Their despicable ways of doing business only shows how shrewd and smart they are. Just tell me who will assume our 400M debts.

Reply to  Milan10

Honestly, i really don’t see what is wrong with this. In business, you definitely buy low and sell high. If you are implying that this is what they are doing to Milan, please tell me how and who is going to clear Milan’s projected debts of 400M in 18 months time. Li and AC Milan don’t have the money. Even if Li has the money to clear between 100 to 200M, will he do it if he jolly well knows that he has no means to raise the 300M to repay Elliot. He will not even clear a single dollar… Read more »

Reply to  ck

He and his brother Li Hongqiang, was involved in pyramid scheme of Jade Valley Development. He has also been involved in other shady businesses. He is using different alias, he and his brother Li Hongqiang are shady people, most likely scammers.

CK
CK
Reply to  Gman

you are quite a joker. still focusing on puppet Li

Reply to  ck

U clearly dont know how vulture funds work so its pointless to talk to you. U think li borrowing money from vulture fund to buy milan is similar to random working class borrowing money from bank to buy freaking honda civic. It really is not. I never said i despise how vulture funds work. I merely state the fact that there are indeed people making money by preying on weak/near-bankrupt businesses. Carl icahn, famous vulture capitalist, time magz’s “master of the universe”, alone is worth $ 30 bill doing exactly this. Just because vulture funds are beyond ur grasp doesnt… Read more »

sunshinekaka
sunshinekaka

Comment: just sign good players and bring us back to top, that’s all i gat to say….

Yusuf
Yusuf

We should go for an Italian backline:
Romagnoli, Rugani, Darmian, De Sciglio/Calabria

Then for midfield:
Luiz Gustavo/Paulinho/Kessie, Tielemans, Nabil Fekir, Bernardo Silva, Bernadeschi

For Attack:
Giovinco, Belotti, Berardi

C
C

If these chinese guys and Mirabelli and Fassone want to show the Milan fans that they are serious then there is no better way than to buy Belotti

dubfire
dubfire

So many childish comments! Do you guys think these Chinese are so dumb to invest a shitload of money without a plan? Do you also think a hedge fund is interested in gaining a lot of money in a short period of time or are more interested in owning a football team ? Of course both parties have some strong ideas and programs…we don’t talk candy money here, but millions.

Meer
Meer
Reply to  dubfire

yes you are right in way about candy money…..but this Li is no big shot in china, hell nobody knows him in fact his brother fled to Honduras after committing some real estate crime…….he was one of the people associated with some group of people willing to invest in Milan but eventually one by one they backed out because of Chinese restrictions or things didn’t materialize….so since he was also acting as a lead front man and deposited 100 million as guarantor first instalment so he was caught big time. now all he needed was time and some new group… Read more »

Meer
Meer
Reply to  dubfire

yes you are right in way about candy money…..but this Li is no big shot in china, nobody knows him in fact his brother fled to Honduras after committing some real estate crime…….he was one of the people associated with some group of people willing to invest in Milan but eventually one by one they backed out because of Chinese restrictions or things didn’t materialize….so since he was also acting as a lead front man and deposited 100 million as guarantor first instalment so he was caught big time. now all he needed was time and some new group of… Read more »

Ck
Ck
Reply to  Meer

Yes Elliot invest in sick assets. My question is, 220M debts in August 16, 80M debts in April 17, probably another 100M debts in 18 months. Total debt is 400M when Elliot takes over in 18 months time. 300M loan plus 400M debts. To sell Milan for a profit of 50M, selling price is 750M. Is it possible to sell Milan at 700 or 750M? Elliot is not interested in managing for long term, so why did this despicable but intelligent vulture funds got themself into this tangle?

Reply to  Ck

U dont know 1st thing about vulture funds if u say warren buffett does something like this and u keep askng who’s gonna pay milan debt. I suggest u read articles on elliot – argentina’s debt or how guys like icahn conduct their businesses. How will elliott get their 300 m back and then some? By milking money from li/milan of course. How? Litigation, selling debts on secondary markets, selling milan’s assets cheap etc. and believe me, elliott WILL make li pay, like they did argentina. They even went so far as seizing argentina’s naval ship. Go read the articles… Read more »

Meer1
Meer1

But hats off to Berlu the way guy ran away with all the emotional bull$hit he said about leaving milan in safe hands……this is not safe hands it’s like we dropped from sky and now landed in no men’s land…..well no doubt he did a lot for milan in return he achieved quite a lot using milan as brand to promote his political image…..just hope we have a long term plan now…..even now if they don’t spend that much amount on transfer market it’s fair enough my point is just make milan a formidable team with long term goals (5… Read more »

ck

There are too many credulous and naive people in this world. They comment in immature and irresponsible manner. They need to improve on this to be better people

Zsone
Zsone

Im very happy that the new menagement is trying to buy great young potentials instead of older flops.The best buys would be a mix of youngsters and some already proven midaged players.I am really excited to see who will we buy in the next transfer window,a lot of answers will we get if we see which players will be our targets.As for Kessie,hes got a world class potential so its better to buy him than a Bertolacci caliber of players for almost same amount of money.

“There are too many credulous and naive people in this world. They comment in immature and irresponsible manner”. U mean like sly comment u made about indian people meytar just deleted?

Don Tyler

I would prefer him moving to Chelsea or Manchester United than him getting sold to a rival club in the league.

hbsl
hbsl

Can’t we just be a bit patient with LOCATELI and allow him more game time and turn him to a better player than spending that huge money on Kessie?
Most importantly, is Kessie FAR better than LOCATELI? If we intend to bring in a fabregas, niagollan, then i will agree. But then again, if an average pogba commands over $80m , then we should expect these kind of issue