Lapadula: “Happy for the victory and my goals, a month ago I was almost considered a Flop, I can do more”

Lapadula celebrates after scoring during Empoli-Milan at Stadio Carlo Castellani on the 26th of November 2016. (MARCO BERTORELLO/AFP/Getty Images)

Gianluca Lapadula says ‘I have never considered myself a reserve player’ and claims ‘a one ago no one was speaking well of me’ but it gave him ‘more desire’.

Milan struggled in the first half but it was a lot easier in the second and eventually they won the three points against Empoli at the Castellani last night (Saturday).

Summer signing Lapadula, who was given the start following Carlos Bacca’s injury, showed that his place is not on the bench with a great performance and two goals (both assisted by Suso, who also scored himself in the 4-1 win, the other goal is an own goal).

“I would like to congratulate my teammate Suso and thank him for the two assists,” Lapadula, 26-year-old, told Sky after the game. “A month ago, I was almost considered a transfer market flop throughout Italy but at that moment, I gained even more desire. Thanks to the teammates and the coach who give me a way to express myself, I’m getting satisfaction. I never contested it but a month ago, even though I didn’t do the pre-season training, no one was speaking well of me.

“Coach Vincenzo Montella? He gives me lots of advice on how to move and I can learn a lot from him. But for me, I can still do much, much more. Silvio Berlusconi [who pushed to sign Lapadula]? The President was the first to find me. I talked to him on Saturday night and he congratulated me.”

Lapadula, Gianluigi Donnarumma and Juraj Kucka of AC Milan celebrates at the end of Empoli-Milan at Stadio Carlo Castellani on the 26th of November 2016. (Photo by Gabriele Maltinti/Getty Images)

Speaking to Mediaset after the final whistle of ref Calvarese, ‘Lapagol’ said: “I am very happy for the victory and my goals. I have always been someone who worked hard for the team and this evening I was able to unite that with goals and a bit of quality. I know I need to improve in many areas.

“The hierarchies in attack? It’s not for me to talk about. I just work to improve, but I have never considered myself a reserve player. I just want to prove that I can do well and the choices are up to the coach. The call-up to the national team? It provided extra motivation. Just 18 months ago, I was in Lega Pro, now I wear the jersey of the Nazionale. But now I must always do well on the pitch.

“The number of goals I want to score? I don’t have a fixed figure, I always think about taking the field with determination and through this score goals. My preferred role? Last season was my first as a center-forward. In Teramo I played as a support striker. I can fit into both roles.”

Lapadula celebrates after scoring his second goal during Empoli-Milan at Stadio Carlo Castellani on the 26th of November 2016. (Photo by Gabriele Maltinti/Getty Images)

“I am really happy for the three points we took home,” he told MilanTV. “This win gives us more continuity in the league. We didn’t manage to play at our best in the first half, then during the interval the boss urged us to play a great second half and the result speaks for itself. I think that also today we have shown we are a great group and this can make the difference, in the long run.

“The match? The group made the difference and the coach’s ideas are coming out. My performance? As I always say, I still have to work a lot, we are only at the beginning. The fans? I want to thank all the fans for being so supportive, if I think about their welcome in the derby I still have goosebumps.

“Montella? He asked us to play with confidence, calmness and a will to win. President Berlusconi? I always give everything I’ve got to repay the President’s trust and also the manager and my teammates who believe in me. You make these calculations at the end of the season.

“Crotone? Continuity is the objective, in results and in our performances, starting from the match against Crotone which is very important. This is the key to staying up there in the league.”

Slyfox
Slyfox

Love him more than bacca,hes aggresive and hunry,when bacca leaves in january,he will be a good replacement

wes
wes
Reply to  Slyfox

lol..if and when bacca leaves he won’t replace him…Milan will purchase someone else to take his place. Lapadula is too small to be the “main man” especially in 4-3-3 system. Maybe if switch to a 2 striker system. Once bacca comes back look for him to come off the bench around the 60-70 min. mark and to start against lesser opponents.

Rosso138
Rosso138

Honestly I like Lapadula better than Bacca only cause Bacca always tries to showoff with skills.. and he has only one leg… He could score at least 10 more goals if he didnt try to showoff…

wes
wes
Reply to  Rosso138

Lapadula’s first goal was showy flick between his legs…. The guy is doing well but just because he has had 3 decent goals against lesser competition don’t start thinking he is a replacement for Bacca.

YK
YK

Lapadula had a great day.but have we forgotten about the midfield? Passalic has grown in confidence a lot! We should rest our big guns against Crotone and I am 98% sure we can beat Roma.

Silver
Silver

I feel seriously happy for the guy! He gives every to show what he has. I hope he will have Luka Toni type of career as a late bloomer. He is something like 26? So he still might have like 7 to 10 season in him

Jibola
Jibola

Its not about writing off Bacca who is a great striker but we have to look at performance stats too because they count in every game. This is where Lapadula edges Bacca. When Bacca plays, i always raise these questions regardless he scores or not. 1. Why can’t Bacca win a single aerial duel against center backs? 2. Why Bacca doesn’t have physical presence against defenders who look to bully and swallow him out of games. 3. Why cant Bacca contribute some quality play in the midfield to help reduce pressure on our midfield when our midfielders are tired especially… Read more »

gacv278
gacv278
Reply to  Jibola

Totally agree mate! Bacca needs to be more devoted. doesn’t matter whoever the striker is, devoted to win for the team is must

Reply to  Jibola

For a second there i thought u were describing the great romario. U know why he cant do all that? Because he’s fox in the box not sheva type of player. Give him a playmaker and he’ll guarantee at least 30 goals/season.

Lapadula played so well last night btw and im so happy for him. He deserves all praises he get

Razor #10
Razor #10
Reply to  Jibola

I really like your view on the statistics bro, but being Milan; let us not turn on our players. they all have their times and lets hope that Bacca will come off his goal-“holiday” soon. I do hope though, that our owners will give us the help we need, it has been a while since I last saw the upper heads helping out the manager.

gbazics
gbazics

Just like my native adage,when you ‘be got a new wife you have less interest in the old wife. Bacca is a better striker than him,he has once cried because the team was down.He loves the club and has the will to always do well,against Inter he assisted Suso’s goal.

LAPADULA
LAPADULA

Thank you for ur support guys! Hopefully next match i could make into starting XI again and continue to score!!! FORZA MILAN