Montella: “Empoli a very dangerous game, Bacca to leave? It’s too early to talk about it, Berlusconi’s words…”

Vincenzo Montella during training at Milanello (@acmilan.com)
Vincenzo Montella during training at Milanello (@acmilan.com)

Vincenzo Montella has stated that Alessio Romagnoli is fit, hinted Juraj Kucka could be dropped tomorrow, and answered to Berlusconi’s words that the 2 don’t agree on the tactics Milan should be using.

The Rossoneri face Empoli at 20:45 CET on Saturday, and after the draw against Inter, they will look to earn three points to maintain their position in the table.

Milan will be without Carlos Bacca who is injured and there are reports Montella is preparing several changes in the starting XI, with Antonelli, Mati & Pasalic all possibly getting starts. Regardless of who plays, however, Vincenzo wants his team to be aware of the threat that is Empoli.

“I want to see a Milan side that is familiar with the difficulties of tomorrow’s match,” Montella said to MilanTV and in the press conference at Milanello on Friday. “It will be a very dangerous game, Empoli have shown to have great organization, they play good football and have conceded the same amount of goals as we have, despite the goal-fest against Fiorentina in the last round [a heavy 4-0 defeat].

Montella talking to the squad during training at Milanello (@acmilan.com)
Montella talking to the squad during training at Milanello (@acmilan.com)

“Returning to Empoli? I grew up there [he was in their youth sector and played for Empoli from 1990 to 1995], and I have a lot of affection for the city. The XI tomorrow? When you prepare for a game, you have to evaluate everything. We will try to field, as always, the best formation.

“The growth of the team? We must do everything better, we do so many things well but we can do better. We are a very unselfish team and sometimes there’s too much generosity and we don’t make the right move. We also sometimes drop back. Conceding goals in the last moments [like against Inter]? We must change our attitude, we shouldn’t drop back too much and we have to work on that.

Gianluca Lapadula, Mattia De Sciglio, Juraj Kucka, Luca Antonelli and Andrea Poli during training at Milanello (@acmilan.com)

“Romagnoli? He’s fine and can play from the first minute. Gomez? He’s improving as well. He trains very hard and has the right mentality. I think he has great potential. Suso? He’s having great consistency and I think he can do even more during the game. All players take part in the victories – now it’s Suso, before it was Bacca and Locatelli. In a group, each player must contribute his qualities.

“Bertolacci? He’s a big player, he has to find the rhythm and get used to training in group with the teammates. We are glad to have him back. Mati Fernandez? He’s a very skillful player in 1v1 and can be very helpful when the game is in progress. Kucka? He’s perhaps in a bit of a decline psychologically but physically he is fine. I will be assessing [his condition] in the coming hours.

Vincenzo Montella during training at Milanello (@acmilan.com)
Vincenzo Montella during training at Milanello (@acmilan.com)

“If Bacca will leave? I’m sorry to disappoint you, but it’s too early to talk about it. Often in January you only do moves in the last few days of the month. We won’t talk about the market. For now, Bacca is a Milan player. Luiz Adriano and Honda? I’ll give the same answer that I gave on Bacca. It’s all too early.

“Lapadula? He’s fine and he has an incredible desire to win. Luiz Adriano can also do well given the features of Empoli. Alessandro Plizzari? He was born in 2000 and he debuted in a friendly… if some club wants to buy him then we can sell for the same price of Donnarumma [smiles].

Gianluca Lapadula and Gabriel during training at Milanello (@acmilan.com)
Gianluca Lapadula and Gabriel during training at Milanello (@acmilan.com)

“The words of Berlusconi? I don’t believe tactics win you titles or matches. Matches are won by players’ quality, the coach’s skill and club’s expertise. However, I always listen to what the President says. And since the coach and players have yet to show their ability to win, while the President & club won for 30 years, there’s maximum listening on my part. The President also said those things to me and, as Galliani said, the President’s words were listened to but not commented on.

“Playing with a trequartista [attacking mid]? We play as if we have a trequartista anyway because Suso is a 10 and Niang often acts as a striker. I like this saying: Changing doesn’t always equates to improving, but to improve you need to change. Now we have to figure out if it’s worth to change.

Vincenzo Montella during training at Milanello (@acmilan.com)
Vincenzo Montella during training at Milanello (@acmilan.com)

“The sale of the club [which will finally be completed next month, most likely December 13]? We’re not thinking about it, only about tomorrow’s game. If the players are affected by the takeover? If so, they’re not showing it, otherwise they’re showing its advantages. The lads are focused, we’re giving a great show of professionalism and desire to win, and that’s the most that can a coach can expect.

“Our objectives? We must not make calculations, but only about winning a game at a time. I don’t look at the table or on the calendar of other clubs. I just know there’s a Rome derby next Sunday…”

Ink
Ink

FFS not Pasalic

Jibola
Jibola

I like ur response to Berlusconi’s comments. “Good players win games”.

MilanistIndonesia
MilanistIndonesia

Talking about transfer. Why don’t we go hard for belotti? He is a fighter. The sum we get if we sell bacca will be enough plus what we will get from the chinese. I don’t know about the truth but many people say he is a Milan fans. Then if it s true and we present a clear project and a clear offer ahead, I think he will be happy to join. He is one of the biggest italy talent I think along with Donnarumma and Romagnoli. Imagine we combine them along suso, loca and two new players on winter.… Read more »

Gowtham11
Gowtham11

It’s too early to judge the capability of Bacca …….I think we should give him some more time to improve………Forza Milan……

ted
ted

If Bacca leaves then Belotti is a must! Fingers crossed…

Havel
Havel

The Chinese take over yet Berlusconi wants bragging rights by having “right to veto”, “player sales/purchases” and “pitch decisions” without his own money in it… No, please, just don’t, Berlusconi. He took the world by storm with everything Milan has done, it’s time to play Bingo gramps; gone but not forgotten. But please… Stay gone…

Gman
Gman

I have a feeling Bacca will be sold to China in january. They pay direct, no seperate payments. That should be enough to get Belotti.

imadala
imadala

belotti berardi bernandeschi ! romagnoli rugani!

Ali
Ali
Reply to  imadala

Wow! Don’t go too fast my friend. Berardi is an interista, Bernardeschi is in Fiorentina and we all know how stubborn they are, Rugani is a player of Juventus and they won’t give up on him easily. End of the dream! 🙂
The only reasonable option is Belloti and that’s only if Bacca leaves. Even though we need real improvments, we need really world class players who usually don’t change clubs in January.

imadala
imadala
Reply to  Ali

we must create dream team mate..for january just go die for belotti

Will
Will

So we going all Italian now

muhideen nasidi
muhideen nasidi

Pls mr president but m sallah from Roma and belloti then you can sell to bacca but bertollocci is good quality player , forza Milan!

Is salah even roma player? And after how they overpriced berto and roma and lowballed el shaa last season, personally i wouldnt buy their dirty laundry

imadala
imadala
Reply to  Milan10

romagnoli is not overpriced mate..chelsea really go hard for him

Reply to  imadala

Agreed mate. he’s so good now that even 40m still wouldnt suffice but considering juve got rugani, who i think is even more of classic “clean” defender, for much less then i think romagnoli WAS a bit overpriced.

What is this nonsense about selling bacca? Had boniesta passed the ball to him last week u all wouldve sung his name all week long. Lapadula scoring 1 nice backheel flick or belotti having his flow doesnt equal bacca losing his excellent predatory instinct. If milan are really serious about getting back to ucl they should buy proper playmaker who can act as bacca’s very own personal assistant, certainly NOT selling him

Mathijs Savicevic
Mathijs Savicevic
Reply to  Milan10

I do not know about this. Bacca is really underperforming lately. I am convinced about his predatory instinct as you mention, but I am also convinced he is underperforming.
Sure, we need a playmaker, Locatelli s still too underdeveloped and a better playmaker could set Bacca in more scoring positions. But my real problem with Bacca s that he only thinks about himself and blames others. I believe our striker should have more skills than only a predatory instinct and fights for the colors of Milan. So my conclusion is that Belotti fits better than Bacca.

I never said milan shouldnt get belotti or bernadeschi or verratti or rugani or even messi himself. The problem is, where does the money come from? Supposedly money isnt a problem should the take over deal really goes through, which i doubt, swapping bacca with young up and coming belotti without buying much needed playmaker is like changing ur old fred perry shirt with new lacoste when the problem is the torn and frayed pants. It just wouldnt solve the real problem: controlling the midfield and killing off the game. and i bet everything i own if milan really put… Read more »

Gowtham11
Gowtham11
Reply to  Milan10
Donremie
Donremie

Forza Milan! Belloti is a gud player plus he is young n can fit d Milan youth dream, bacca has problem when he is asked to join build up play n I think he shld be sold. Naturally, I don’t like dis full Italian Milan, it’s gud to HV a core Italian team with genius internationals, Milan is not racist I believe n we all love Milan even when we are not Italians. As for d empoli match, I think montella shld just give time to mati n pasalic becos they look more like players dat can hold d ball… Read more »

Gowtham11
Gowtham11

I think blaming Bacca too early is meaning less, I think we can give him some more time to improve…………

imadala
imadala
Reply to  Gowtham11

until what time?he is already 30

Reply to  Gowtham11

Yeah mate, give him more time AND well oiled midfield machine

ted