Honda: “I could’ve already left Milan, if I didn’t want to prove people wrong, then I might as well give up playing”

Honda during Genoa-Milan at Stadio Luigi Ferraris on the 25th of October 2016. (Photo by Marco Luzzani/Getty Images)

Honda says he’s received offers that ‘were inadequate’ and that he’s not the only player who couldn’t succeed at Milan.

Coach Vincenzo Montella has already made it very clear that his starting right winger is Suso and this leaves Keisuke Honda on the bench and the Japanese has only played about 80 minutes in Serie A.

On Friday, Honda and Japan played a friendly match against Oman but he lasted just 61 minutes. After the game, coach Vahid Halilhodzic said that ‘Honda is not up to speed with the rhythm of the game’ and hinted that the 30-year-old could be benched in Japan’s 2018 FIFA World Cup qualification against Saudi Arabia on the 15th of November (12:35 CET).

“I hadn’t spoken to the manager but I expected to be substituted around that time I thought I would get tired around that time although I didn’t know how sudden it would hit me,” Honda told reporters in Japan this week. “It was a good test for me and I feel that I am getting back into the groove.

“When I’m not playing, I don’t know how I’m going to feel physically, what my touch is going to be like or what my feeling for the game will be. You become conscious of these things, but yesterday I felt relaxed and I wasn’t thinking about it so I guess I’m back to normal. I hear the criticism and I’m thankful for it. If I didn’t want to prove people wrong, then I might as well give up playing.

Honda during Japan-Oman at Kashima Soccer Stadium on tthe 11th of November 2016. (Photo by Yuya Shino/Getty Images)

“I have to show people that Honda is back to his best. Milan? There are some reasons that haven’t allowed me to play with continuity in these 2.5 years and I accept that. Unfortunately, I haven’t been able to get positive results on a personal level. There were also other important players that failed to impose themselves, I’m thinking of Torres, Kaka in his second spell, Balotelli and El Shaarawy.

“I could’ve already left Milan, but the offers I received were inadequate [he’s believed to have rejected a recent offer from China]. I am not dying to leave the club, so there is no issue on my future. During my career, I’ve always worked hard and have been able to decide my future.

“The upcoming change of ownership at the club? I can understand that the club wants to change and I think it’s the end of an era,” concluded Honda, who may seek a way out in the January mercato.

I dont remember van basten, zidane or bonadinho talking this much

1988 fan
1988 fan
Reply to  Milan10

Maybe you were too little to remember or not even born yet. maybe you didnt know how to read yet, or maybe there was no or very little online or internet posts in Basten time. But those players were interviewed just as much as if not more than todays players to fill the newspaper. Just because Honda isnt our star and this blog happens to post his rare interview you would think he talks too much. Do you think that Honda would walk to a reporter n asked for an interview? Todays fans think they bleed in Milan colors but… Read more »

Reply to  1988 fan

Or maybe its u who missed my point grandpa. When i said honda talked too much i meant he complained about his situation at milan too much. Not only that, he sometimes blames others for his situation, like a whiny spoilt brat. Real champions like van basten, zidane or our diamond bonadinho never do that. How do i know that? Simply because zidane and van basten are my 2 favourite players.

P.s. How is 1988 fan the only true fan? Everyone, even kobe bryant was milan fan back then

Mojdanis
Mojdanis

Ok, thank you for sharing Keisuke. Anyone else???

Eighteen99
Eighteen99
Reply to  Mojdanis

Cut the guy some slack …ok, cant you see these are not his best times?

Mojdanis
Mojdanis
Reply to  Eighteen99

Wow love the hating here! Please hate me more for this, but I would rather hear from Locatelli or Calabria, guys that can be future stars of world football than yaping of this Japanese wannabe star, that played his only good football in Russian league and it’s bitter that he can’t prove himself with the big boys. I believe he is a good guy, hard-working and everything, but if you are not good enough you goo somwhere else where you can prove yourself. Fans will adore you if you play good for them and will do the opposite if you… Read more »

Mojdanis
Mojdanis
Reply to  Mojdanis

Or prove me wrong, either way, believe me, I will be happy! 🙂

Reply to  Mojdanis

Yo mate, i already replied to ur comments regarding fifa game but the blog’s admin keeps deleting it

Mojdanis
Mojdanis
Reply to  Milan10

Nickname: mojdanamis
But I play on PS4

Pelle80
Pelle80

He talks alot

Gallo
Gallo

Lol Honda should stop preaching Simon’s

Ink
Ink

I don’t see Honda lying. He even admits he has not been putting good performances. Where did he whine or complain about it? What in the past he said about the passion of ”some fans” who only support the club when they are playing good and bashing them without supporting through the bad times, that was also the truth. I fail to see why so many of you hate him. As for ”talking too much”, as 1988fan said, does he call reporters to chit chat with them? Btw, on another matter, so many say, recent fans are not ”real fans”.… Read more »

Reply to  Ink

When van basten was being benched in his 1st season at milan, or even in 1st match of euro ’88, he never complained. He kept his mouth shut and Instead he took his chances whenever his coach played him. Remember his goal vs napoli at san paolo that practically sealed the scudetto? Or his spectacular hattrick vs england in euro ’88? remember how beckham and del piero used to be benched in their last seasons with their respective clubs? They never complained, instead they proved their coaches wrong with their performances on the field (beckham’s brace against madrid, del piero… Read more »

Ink
Ink
Reply to  Milan10

I wonder if Italian journalists ask him about these while he is Italy? If they do not, you cannot accuse him of ‘talking smack about italian football while he’s outside italy.” And there are all types of examples mate. Outbursts and calmness. Savicevic was not too happy with Capello shutting him off. Btw, as for Van Basten – ”Having struck 128 times in 133 games for Ajax, Van Basten joined Serie A giants AC Milan along with countryman Ruud Gullit of PSV Eindhoven. The duo were joined one year later by a third Dutchman Frank Rijkaard, and together they formed… Read more »

Reply to  Ink

Firstly, with all due respect, ive followed van basten career for years so i dont think i need to read 1 page article from fifa to tell me how he was doing. Yes he was constantly injured (its started after he misstimed his tackle vs hereenveen if im not mistaken) but not always and when serie a reached its climax and euro 88 was near he was more than ready but still the coached benched him. U know what he did? He, with cruyff as mentor, took a training regime that consisted of training to shoot from difficult angles. I… Read more »

Reply to  Milan10

*wives

alluallu
alluallu
Reply to  Ink

@ INK
You are and we are as much Milan supporters as any one else out there. There is no control to what your hart will love, what colors, which team and what player you like the most. The importance is that you love the game and the team; we all share the same feelings and thoughts. So you have my respect first of all as a football supporter, second as a Milan fan and third as a person who has the same right as a 1 year old or 100 years old Milan fan 😀