Why Kaka’s purchase shows Milan has no plan at all

FAN ARTICLE by Igor Felicioni.

Disclaimer: I would never claim to know more about the transfer market than Galliani, he has probably forgotten more about that topic than what I will ever learn. That being said, I present to you my reasons for believing that Milan was completely winging it during this summer’s transfer market (hereinafter STM).

Here’s the squad, the order based upon my belief on who will get the most playing time this first 4 months of the season, I also highlighted the acquisitions and wrote in parenthesis what I believe is each player’s most natural position.

Milan’s market: A win or a loss?
Galliani: “We are very happy Kaka is back, the heart prevailed”

Goalkeepers: Abbiati, Amelia, Gabriel, Coppola;
Defenders: Mexes (CB), Zapata (CB), Abate (RB), De Sciglio (LB-RB-CB), Emanuelson (LB-LW), Constant (Winner of Alf look-alike contest), Bonera (CB-RB), Silvestre (???), Zaccardo (Own Goal Specialist), Vergara Amu (CB);
Midfielders: Montolivo (CM-RM-AM), De Jong (DM), Muntari (DM-LM), Kaka (AM-CF), Poli (CM-RM), Nocerino (LM-RM), Saponara (AM), Cristante (CM), Birsa (he says he’s an AM);
Forwards: Forwards: Balotelli (ST-CF), El Shaarawy (LW), Pazzini (ST), Matri (ST), Robinho (getting fat), Niang (RW).

Once these four months are over I will check back and see how I did.

For now, go ahead and take a look at that chart and tell me how many actual starters Milan acquired? The answer is 1 maybe 2, Kaka and Poli. Saponara and Vergara are long term ventures, Birsa is probably the result of a drunken bet accepted by Galliani. Matri was signed because Allegri felt homesick and wanted to rekindle that 7th place Cagliari magic.

But let’s look at the players that will actually see the field more closely. I really like Poli, he’s a box to box physical midfielder with very soft feet, he and Balotelli seem to be on the same page early on, and he’s started to become that midfielder that attacks the space created by Balotelli (much like Nocerino and Boateng with Ibra), he “should” have a good year and probably will stay, but then again the season just started, a lot can happen. The main concern with him is that he tends to disappear for long stretches of time, I am honestly rooting hard for this guy.

Ok let’s talk Kaka, the main reason he was brought in was because he could be had for free (sort of) and his return would boost ticket sales, because everybody is a sucker for Nostalgia, how else can you explain FOUR Transformers movies? But I digress, in reality Kaka in his current condition is an improvement for our squad, he can also be a leader inside the locker room, which honestly we need (The Mohawks make me sick). But we can’t ignore his age, his injuries or the fact that he’s here mainly to boost his own chances to making the Brazilian squad for the World Cup. Therefore I ask what will happen in 2015? Is he leaving, are we selling him? Do we want to establish a leader in the locker room, just so he can leave next year? Another question I have, Kaka’s best year (2007) was when he played in the 4-3-2-1 Xmas tree formation, he basically played almost as a second striker, so is Allegri willing to slot him there? Because I don’t think he has the speed for that position anymore and also we currently have 6 strikers, which brings us to…

Awesome goal celebration notwithstanding, I think we need to understand why Matri was brought in. I’ve voiced my opinion on Allegri before, so we don’t have to go over that again, but this was obviously a player Galliani brought to make Allegri happy. Here’s the problem, if you talk to anyone in the know, they will tell you Allegri is 99,99% gone after this year, unless by some miracle he pulls off a second place in Serie A, and quarterfinals or better in the Champions League, and if he does pull that off, he’ll probably reject Milan for greener pastures. So then how do you explain giving €11 million to JUVENTUS of all teams, for an average striker, when you have that many strikers already? Bear in mind Balotelli is the immovable object, so now you have 5 player fighting for 1 spot, maybe El Shaarawy and Niang are not ready to play in the 4-3-1-2 Berlusconi wants, but a team with some sort of plan would rather save that money and give two promising youngsters a chance, or in the worst case scenario neither of them work you still have Robinho and Pazzini. But no, overpaying for a 29 year old mediocre player that belongs to your biggest rival makes a lot more sense. Lastly, for those of you thinking that maybe Pazzini’s injury is worse than advertised, riddle me this: if it is that bad, why was he included in The UCL list?

Speaking of the UCL list, why was Niang excluded? The official reason is downright laughable, “Umberto Gandini forgot to include him.” Unless Umberto Gandini had to write down the list during one of Berlusconi’s parties and under the influences of controlled substances, there is absolutely no way this was unintentional. The unofficial word is Niang refused to go to Genoa in exchange for Juraj Kucka, and thus is being “punished”. I honestly hope this is isn’t true, this reminds me of the Perugia owner who fired Ahn Jung Hwan for scoring against Italy, I want to believe Milan is better than this. I leave it up to you, let me know in the comments below which of these stories do you believe?

There’s something we need to discuss before I leave you, barring any opinion you may have on Mexes and Zapata, I personally think they are an “adequate” duo, if anyone of them goes down or is suspended our options are Bonera, Silvestre, Vergara and Zaccardo. Are we sure that €11 million spent on Matri could not have been spent on a good center back? One that could actually challenge for a starting position, I won’t give names, but I’m sure at least someone equal to Mexes and Zapata could be had for €6-8 million, after that you give Sassuolo a call and put Zaccardo on the Frecciarossa train with a giant green and black bow on his head.

The Verdict

The saddest part about this transfer market is that we could have had 3-4 young players that would have actually added depth and quality to the team, and two went to Roma (Strootman €17m and Ljajic €11m) these are not insane prices, I would much rather have Ljajic or Strootman than Matri. I have nothing against the guy, I just don’t think we need him.

When you look at guys like Ogbonna at €13m and Sakho at €15m, and how the teams that bought them overpaid, you understand the importance of the position within this market window. I would have liked to see Milan tackling the actual problems of the team, rather than wasting time bringing a 31 year old figurine to try to sell some tickets, or blowing the Boateng money trying to please a “Coach” that has one foot out the door.

In Conclusion, the team is slightly better than last year, but by a very slim margin, that margin is provided by the quality Poli and Kaka will add to the midfield, the defense and attack were not improved at all. When you look at what Juventus, Fiorentina, Roma, Napoli and even Inter did to improve their teams, the overall impression is the Milan will struggle to arrive in third place. This all can change during the January transfer window, however when you all read and hear is that we already have a contract with Honda (A very special player who I think is amazing) The feeling I get is fear, fear that we won’t make the Champions League next year, and as a result we wouldn’t get that vital Champion’s League money, the same money we did get this year and was instrumental during the free acquisition of Kaka…

Thanks for reading,
@Tanucc10

Sourav Chakraborty
Sourav Chakraborty

firstly and lastly milan will finish in top 3 reach the semi finals of champions league and may win ucl.
And i wd lke 2 see all those people’s faces when they wd say wow i nvr knew kaka was still the bst and cd perform lke he did in 2007-08………….. he is just amazing……………………….

fyah-mayne
fyah-mayne

Wow arent u delusional

El Greco
El Greco

I don’t know if your thoughts are valid or not, and it doesn’t really matter- these are just personal thoughts. What I know is that without money, no team can remain top-level. The club needs investments, from stadium to facilities, and fresh ideas for directors, managers and players. We are facing a new era…

Forza Milan!!

david
david
Reply to  El Greco

“What I know is that without money, no team can remain top-level”…. Tottenham spent 100m.. still lose to arsenal… Its not always about the amount of money spent.

udochukwu
udochukwu

i cant shout! U’ve spoken my heart.

EL92
EL92

I disagree. True, Kaka is 31 but that does not mean that he cant help the team. With him here we have a leader who the players look up to and can learn from. And also if he does not do good we’re getting Honda in the winter. Although I agree with you in the Matri stuff. And also I think Saponara will do good this season,

ChrisMilan
Reply to  EL92

He didn’t say anything about Kakà, not being able to contribute to the game.

Actually on the contrary, he does think he’ll provide quality in different ways.

You need to read a lot more carefully.

komang
komang

ooh, come on dude, you are so disrespect for Constant, i dare you to play as well as he is, and sent your CV to galliani

Tanucc10
Tanucc10
Reply to  komang

Komang, I just Kevin Constant looks exactly like ALF… A little humour never hurt anyone

Tx for reading

Badreldin
Badreldin

Well… Im with you for the most part, but… Allegri the crazy did mention that he could play a 4-3-3 or a 4-3-1-2 or a 4-3-2-1. So there is a good chance that SES will get some good playing time. Kaka might not have the pace anymore, but he does have the technique, vision and routine, which will be VERY useful. Im happy that he’s back home, but not that they are giving him a whooping 4mil + bonuses. That’s INSANE!!! The Niang story you wrote about is VERY disturbing if it actually is true!!! But do you have sources… Read more »

destroypol1ce
destroypol1ce

Perfect. This article says what I have in mind regarding Milan’s transfermarket .
Pravo and thanks

forza milan
forza milan

Nice

me
me

One 31 year old does not spoil the whole youth project

Milan fan
Milan fan

We need Santon and Thiago back that’s all.

cepot
cepot

I remembered when people didn’t like casano-pazzini transfer. They said pazzini isn’t good enough. But pazzo prove it’s wrong. I’m sure Matri will do the same thing. About Kaka, I’m still sure that he will give something significant to our team.

rosso
rosso

Can’t wait for allegri to get out. Gosh

Jibola
Jibola

I disagree in totality for the following reasons. 1. This Milan side is better than last season not with “slim margin” but much bigger margin. The enthusiasm brought into Milanello alone could be transformed into winning character on the pitch. Kaka at 35 is DECISIVE even though he’s lost some speed due to rustiness, Kaka is an intelligent champion, very serious leader and professional. Kaka’s acquisition is massive for Milan not just on sporting term but psychological and financial term, just yesterday CL season ticket boom by 15000 (MASSIVE). Kaka’s dressing room influence is priceless and nothing compared to Tevez… Read more »

RedNBlack
RedNBlack
Reply to  Jibola

Nice one

fyah-mayne
fyah-mayne
Reply to  Jibola

You mentioned Matri while u said best attack..I agree with what you said about kaka and constant is more inconsistent than solid..but spot on comment!!!

RedNBlack
RedNBlack

Good article. You didn’t mention El Sharaawy case Galliani tried to force him out but the boy refused and Galliani couldn’t sell him. I am very suspicious about the Kaka deal with real madrid, out of all the clubs that wanted to buy Kaka with good prices and he was given to us for free. Something fishy is going on…

1five1

The main reason why most of you hate d matri buy, is because of the possibillity of him replacing SES as d 2nd striker…
Well i’m nt dat sentimental.
If El-sha adjust well, learns hw to play with his left foot, and hw to rotate his positions in d forward line like robinho (and nt just stay on d left), then he’ll have his chance.
If not, then i’m all for him sitting on the bench till he learns.

dejan10
dejan10

Totally agree with this article (although I’m probably a bit more excited about Kaka). How we could give 12 mil to Juve for Matri over strengthening the defence is truly baffling.

effective1
effective1

Kaka is d best thing 2 happen 2 milan dis summer, wen u say he is old, hw old is van persie, pirlo, xavi bt dey still perform very well. I can’t say anything dan 2 say forza milano

NeoCortex
NeoCortex

Kaka´s purchase was reasonable in many respects. First: Ok, he lost some of his fitness and his pace, but technically and mentally he is still amazing. Second: Cash is king. Kaka came for free and his arrival means more jersey sales and more visitors in stadium. Thirdly: He can teach and improve our players and function as a leader Fourthly: Only his presence on the field can be an advantage and can make our players better Furthermore the arrival of Honda is genius as well, because it opens the market in asia and means even more revenues. Besides we have… Read more »

Rossonero93
Rossonero93
Reply to  NeoCortex

Dont forget about Pirlo! I dont know his exact age, but he is definetly 34 if I am not wrong and he is still worldclass… why doubt in 31 years old Kaka then?

ruby
ruby

My dear writer, u can’t just write for writing sake. If u don’t knw wat to write write about urself. And if u don’t belive in dis team don’t bother watching dem play. Hope u will be bold enough to write again wen we do well dis season and apologize to us

offliner
offliner

Ibrahimovic is in 30s and he scores like hell

Tsep
Tsep

Ruby,its just an opinion! The writer backed up all his opinions and wasnt baised at all,its hard headed people like you that dont know how to look int reality,create a 7 time ucl league winning team into a ”try fight for the 3rd spot” team. perfect Article

David
David

This team can win trophies:

4-1-2-1-2

Abbiati

Abate Zapata Mexes De Sciglio

De Jong

Poli – Montolivo

Kaka

Balotelli – El Sha

I feel this article is slightly alarmist.

Tanucc10
Tanucc10
Reply to  David

David with all due respect, if Milan used that formation we’d probably have to score 4/5 goals per game.

This is still the same defense that allowed 17 goals from set pieces, you just can’t turn a blind eye to that, which is exactly what Milan did.

I don’t think it was alarmist at all, other teams did more to improve their teams, including Juve and Napoli who finished ahead of us last year.

Honestly I hope you’re right and I’m wrong.

Thanks for reading

This article is more about “why did we spend eleven million on Matri” rather than signing “why kaka’s purchase shows Milan has no plan” because the signing of Kaka is actually a masterstroke, for various reasons (as you yourself listed a few of them and @jibola listed some others), only time will tell how he will perform, but in my eyes he’s still the same champion, he’s just not as quick as he used to, but he’s smart enough to adjust, just like Giggs has done and is still currently doing in United. However, we needed another centre forward with… Read more »

D-Bo
D-Bo

I agree with a lot of your article. I personally think that any combination of Balo, SES, Monty, and Poli constitutes a world class attack. Adding Kaka hopefully can create some stability and guidance. I think De Jong (while I’m not a fan) provides a steady force as a DCM. I also think we have a couple of world class full backs in Abate and De Sciglio. I agree that the Matri money should have been spent on a center back. I know he would cost a fortune, but I would love for us to splash cash on Doria and… Read more »

Tanucc10
Tanucc10
Reply to  D-Bo

Thanks for reading D-BO

#1fifaplayer
#1fifaplayer

When people say Kaka is finished and all that, your crazy.. Some players r in their prime at their age… How can u judge somebody who had injuries in real had no joy to play their and was frozen out… Ibrahimodvic is the same age and he is still amazing… U guys talk like Kaka is done but don’tforget he was the last player to be named the best player in the world bbesides messi and ronaldo…. He needed to be happy again and he needs to no that he is wanted by a team and milan is that team..… Read more »

D-Bo
D-Bo
Reply to  #1fifaplayer

I understand what you are saying, but this at least has the potential to be Pato again. Pato was also a world class player and when healthy was one of the best strikers in the world. However, what good is a world class player if they are never on the field? I believe Kaka has plenty left in the tank. I also hope he has the ability to stay healthy and prove it. But he is a risk given his salary and roster spot if he won’t be able to play half the season. I love both Pato and Kaka,… Read more »

wyzee wyzozo
wyzee wyzozo

what you said really makes sense…considering how Milan changed the era of old players to youngsters last season…Only for us to see a 31 year old Matri..how on earth is that possible…What will such player do for us…Milan dont have a problem with strikers, the problem is the defense..Y are they refusing to let go some of the defenders[Born-Error(Bonera)], he is jux a waste…Smh

roy milanista
roy milanista

Firstly nyc article. On the Niang gaffe i was baffled too at first, i thgt to myslf why Birsa over Niang!?! But there is somthin NEW this year n dats the Youth Champions league…with our proposed formation i rly don knw if Niang would get sufficient playin tym(but i rly lik d plyr)…i dunno but it mit b a good thing, atlst he will hopefully ply most of the games in the new tournament. As for for KAKA u nvr knw a he could com back to lyf just lik PIRLO…nwys lookin frwrd to a Gr8 ssn ahead.FORZA MILAN!!

Da woz
Da woz

I don’t think that your central assertion that signing kaka shows that AC Milan has no plan, and it is actually incorrect. Milan has a clear strategy in the transfer market.. Buy the best players available for free, as little money as possible, or in as many instalments as possible. Kaka is clearly a great player for free, matri’s payments are dispersed over the next few years ( where as llajic was all up front ). So we may not like the plan, but it is clear. The move to youth was in reality a move to less expensive players,… Read more »

jonas
jonas

True, Kaka is 31 but i think he can still dominate the game. How old was Pirlo when we gave him away for free ? and what he have done after that. Pirlo have won two scudetto being the best midfielder in whole serie A.

Sambit
Sambit

Hi Igor, Nice article. I completely agree with you on most of the points you have raised but I am afraid there are a few more angles you need to consider 1. Pazzini is out with a bad injury and has already undergone surgery that will keep him out of the first half of the season. Prior to signing Matri our options for prima punta were Balo, Niang and Petagna of which only Balo is of proven quality. In the event of an injury to Balo our attack would have been headless. I am not a big Matri fan but… Read more »

roy milanista
roy milanista
Reply to  Sambit

totally agree…I mean balo is so prone to bein suspended n bein injurd…now in a crunch game if balo is missing v din hav good options in dat lead striker dept. but upset v slightly overpaid. N yes der is a major shortage of quality defenders des days as d focus on offensive ply is a lot more n d art of defending is fading away….

fyah-mayne
fyah-mayne

Kaka is a significant improvement to boateng in the Attacking Midfield position and he earns 4m + performances relsted bonuses on a free transfer and he we yield more money than what he cost milan during his stay that is for sure….As for Matri hes is a big waste of money no doubt, it doesnt matter how we are paying for him as it is still 11mill we could have gotten ljajic for that money which is to me significantly better at a younger age, or a much needed CB as u stated….to me our midfield is good enough, our… Read more »

offliner
offliner

As long as you have the whole knowledge about everything related to football and better than milan management I recommend you to start establishing your football club or propose your services to Real Madrid or Bayern.

Opinion Varies
Opinion Varies
Reply to  offliner

Lmao…..That’s a good one!

henriano
henriano

i think milan had a decent transfer,we may complain about the 11m spent on matri but he was juve’s best forward last season so you don’t expect him to come chip. And as for kaka i can’t wish for another signing than him. by january honda will come so we have team that can challenge for scudetto

ladon
ladon

@1five1, What does Matri knows how to do best? At SES’s age, he couldn’t even get a chance to play at Milan. One leg SES is better than two leg Matri. Now what happens to Pazzini position when he returns from injury seeing he plays in a similar role to Matri? Can you tell me one reason why you feel 29yr old Matri is worth €11m? You all claimed SES has not improved his left foot but did you not see tgat same leg hit a delightful shot that cracked against the cross bar against psv? We are all looking… Read more »

Ouch!
Ouch!

I would have this Kaka over flopateng anyday! Even tho he is 31 and not the same, who knows he might do wonders like he did prior to leaving. Kaka for free is win, win and win again all day eveydayyy… I agree about Allegri and how mediocre he is. Also Matri we do not need I agree but this also falls under allegri and how average he is.

ladon
ladon

35yr old Kaka is better than 25yr old boateng

ZION
ZION
Reply to  ladon

plz what are u talking about. I am sure u were hailing Boateng in his 1st season spell at Milan cuz he brought some MORALE we’ve lost for some time at milan and u now crusifying him for some diappointing seasonal spells cuz Allegri played him at a position he was so not comfrotable and eventuallay rendered him useless. Plz stop this grade 1 arguements, may be u can say this to ur kid brother but not on this blog where serious minds come to force up the spirit of MILAN or u can say this to the marines. Need… Read more »

ChrisMilan

I do understand your frustration as I lie on the same perspective, however, perhaps on slightly different notes. In regards to the transfer market, all the young, fresh and ”behind-the-scene” investments are pretty good in terms of Vergara & Saponara (I do see Saponara as a contributing player for this season). However, the injections needed to augment this season’s achievements, has not been very good. I actually fancy Matri as he reminds me of Falcao and slightly Pippo. And I could see him go scoring 15+. My concern is his age and the money spent. We could have had a… Read more »

Olamilan
Olamilan

I disagree with this writer and he disgrace me as a Milan fan. You need to ask youself this simple question: How many of our so called Midf and attacker has the technic, speed and intelligency of Kaka? NONE!
Leave Matri alone, if Allegri thinks adding Matri will achieve what we all crave for, so be it.
You really need to SIT down and rethink of the importancy of some of these players.

Cyborg
Cyborg

This team is good enough to finish top three, even with the worst coach in the history of coaching. For the mgt to say the objective is to finish top three DOES NOT MAKE ANY SENSE. An objective has to be something you can bearly attain. If keep setting low objectives for this team then we are really going nowhere.

Juninho
Juninho

Congratulations, “you invented the wheel.”

baboucarr dibba

It all depends on the players..If they perform well..We can even win the league..Remember last season..Everyone says Milan is going to be relegated but later got 3rd place..And you said this team is better than last season’s..So you never know..Forza Milan…

ZION
ZION

What a wonderful article u got there. I wonder if the management of the club read such article posted on this blog at all. I am with u on many issues u raised above,if milan can really cough out 12 mil for Matri why didn’t they meet Tevez’s offer for only 9 mil and waited for this same Juve to get him and the worse part is he eventually displaced MATRI to the bench and Milan went for him(MATRI) instead. What we just did was to help Juve off load their garbage too easily. meanwhile, Honda’s move too was begging… Read more »

fendi tjuatja
fendi tjuatja

What hurt me most as Milan fans is they can afford to pay so much money for an ex player we don’t really need but cannot pay compensation to bring a new coach. It riddles me how can a failing coach can stay such a long time. On the other hand, acquiring Kaka for free is not a good idea and I applaud you for writing my thought. The current regime of board surely will sell Kaka should he perform this year and a good offer comes. Don’t buy the nostalgic, heart, love for icon shite at all. It ended… Read more »

suKAKA
suKAKA

gat ntn 2 say but i hope we improve our defence during the january transfer. . . .forza milan!!! Forza kaka!!!

offliner
offliner

Whatever poeple say about the tranafer market and current squad, i will keep supporting everyone of them as a Milanista.
Just to remind the writer that Kaka scored 6 goals with RM during the pre-season.
You cannot compare players with different cicumstances, you cannot say that Kaka is same as Sheva.

adeiza
adeiza

Actually ur analysis was on point………..milan dnt and neva needed matri,we could have use the money and get a cb of zapaata and mexes standard to atleast make the position competitve,we hav mb45,pazzini as cf….I dnt c a reason bringn matri

jaxx
jaxx

the transfer market was not very gud neither was it a totat failure..bringin kaka back will go a long way in takin care of our immediate need for creativity in d final 3rd of d pitch while at thesame time grooming the likes of saponara,ses and poli for the future….about matri?? i tink i better reserve my comments..and tinkin about our defence gives me the creeps…but still yet we are better than last season(having to put up wit kbp week in week out as a trequartista) overall i tink we are now better than napoli,fiorentina and inter..forza milano

Rowland
Rowland

Well said…

Alaspina
Alaspina

We need directors who have experience in football! Not just some business man with a degree who is always trying to cash in instead of making the right choices for the team. Milan has been turned into a money machine where the sales of players go to people as bonuses instead of getting reinvested in the club. Allegri is a tool and needs to leave! Berlusconi and barbara need to leave! I love Milan but I am tired of old unrealistic speeches of “balancing the books”. That is total bs. I really hope Allegri leaves. He is an idiot and… Read more »

Vistar
Vistar

In no particular order. The most important things milan needs are A. Play SES. He is special. Needs playing time to grow. If left to grow with balo they could evolve into best forward tandem in football B. Keep Kaka as long as possible. Honda is already amazing with kaka as a mentor he could be great. As well as kaka mentoring poli ses balo and saponara C. Play Poli. He looks very good D. Play Di Sciglio. Could end ups as worlds best LB ( Maldini’s son is only a few years away and if he’s half as good… Read more »