Reports: Milan agree €4m Saponara deal

RICCARDO SAPONARA will be joining Milan in the summer as a deal has reportedly been reached.

Milan’s youth policy continues. Silvio Berlusconi always claims Milan will only be buying young players, scouting more than 100 youngsters around the world and today it seems they’ve secured 1 of these men.

The Rossoneri are not expected to make any signing for the attack as Robinho seems to be staying but in the summer a winger is set to arrive in the summer from Empoli: Riccardo Saponara (born in 1991).

Juventus-Milan: The Rossoneri squad
Santos: “Robinho talks still ongoing”

“I like Riccardo Saponara, we are trying to create a team based on young players and he certainly falls within our new criteria and policy,” Milan Vice President Adriano Galliani is quoted as saying on Gazzetta.it. The leaders of Empoli met Galliani at the headquarters in via Turati today and a deal has been agreed.

According to Sky Sport Italia, Milan will pay €4 million for 50% of Saponara, who is currently co-owned between Empoli and Parma. Saponara, a pacey and technical player, will stay at Empoli for the rest of the season but he will play for Milan next summer if the reports are to be believed. The deal is expected to be finalized next week. It is still not clear whether there will be other players involved in the Saponara deal.

Milan are reportedly considering January moves for players like Davide Santon (“I’m happy at Newcastle”), Kevin Strootman, Davide Astori and more. The idea is clear, however, Milan are looking for youth.

Lewangoalski

he was on my list for milan

R kenny

Dat gud forza milan

Good news, even though he is to arrive in the summer, I hope he doesn’t qualify as the “italian who plays in italy” that will join us according to Berlu.
And it would be better to focus on this transfer window for now, than the summer really…
Hope Astori and Poli joins us. Cagliari apparently said no regarding Nainggolan…

stanbenedict

What do u mean that’s good. Do u know him,have u seen him play,what quality can he add to squad. That’s what you should ask yourself. That he’s young doesn’t make any difference if he’s under the category of traore,acerbi etc.
we need quality players that can help milan develop once again. Not average players that lacks experience. Am sure mr berlusconi is doing this because the salaries that young players collect weekly aint much like that of experienced/matured players. So he can foot their minute salaries and spend the majority on his business.

Reply to  stanbenedict

I know, youtube makes even Bendtner look good, but I looked him up and he seems very sharp, technique, eye for goal and good vision.
And honestly, a good talent costs a lot these days as well. And the difference between a young player and a Traoré is that traoré is 28, Saponara will be 22 this year, he has a lot of time on his side to improve, he seems very talented and is apparently a Milanista as well.
Wish him luck instead.

bobsaget
bobsaget
Reply to  stanbenedict

El Shaarawy didn’t have much Serie A experience before we got him, besides a few minutes of cameos. So i say we take the chance on this kid. I’m really hope we do in fact sign Perin and Benatia though.

Reply to  bobsaget

I mentioned this below, but I think Serie B can be a big resource. Youngsters can have more of an opportunity to get on-field experience and then only need to refine skills once they make the jump.

I like this deal and wish we would send some of these youngsters to Serie B on loan for experience rather than just keeping them on the Primavera.

natti
natti

its what milan fans pleaded for years including myself .. seeing players like bojan shaarawy niang de sciglio etc will make milan one of the most underrated teams and will be soon be at there very best .. cant wait for mastour and christante to be given more chances .. mastour when over 16!!

Olalekan Mojeed
Olalekan Mojeed

Wow is very intersting.

kelvin
kelvin

Just saw a 5min video of him on youtube, I know people say “every player is a star on youtube and it doest prove anything bla bla bla” but the kid surely has potential…I saw good goals and assists/trickery, so I’m excited

Juninho
Juninho

I don’t know what to say about it because I don’t know him so I’ll keep quiet.

kelvin
kelvin

Youtube: Saponara- someone like you..a little glimpse

D-Bo

I have a feeling he must have a big upside and he’s only 21. I hope this works out as well as El Shaarawy.

Reply to  D-Bo

I also think it was necessary to get a speedy wing player. Hopefully this works out for the best.

Also, say what you will about the sales and lack of big name signings, but I like this transfer policy. Bring in some youngsters like this and give them a chance. Hopefully the young stars of Italy will be the shining stars of Milan.

Dejan
Dejan
Reply to  D-Bo

just one or two defenders and Taarabt and we will be fine to do some damage.And sell that stupid Boateng to Galatasaray,and Abate to Zenit to raise the cash to invest in some good and promising players

kayee
kayee

Let’s äll hope we ve found another gem just like SES.but I want to knw wat is happening to all our youngsters that ve gone on loan like albertarazzi paloschi and etc

kelvin
kelvin

I just don’t understand the whole 50%(2mil) ownership and selling the other 50 to Parma, then end of the season we negotiate that 50 with Parma again…why couldn’t we just purchase him once and for all without all these niggly bits??

Reply to  kelvin

I’ve never cared much for the co-ownership deals either, but if it gets him to Milan, I suppose it’s a good thing.

Koja
Koja

Gud of u b&g, get more young nd talented players hope dey sign ogbona,astori or dede . Wish all our new signing gud luck….

Ali
Ali

Strictly statistically speaking SES scored 9 goals in 29 matches during his one season at Padova in Serie B. Saponara has scored 8 in 18 matches this season (and it’s still just half of the season) in Serie B for Empoli. So let’s hope he can be successful in Milan like SES, it seems he has potential.

RickyKaka
RickyKaka
Reply to  Ali

Yeah but SES was 18 when playing Serie B. Saponara is 21.

Let’s see how he finishes the season. No point overhyping him.

Reply to  RickyKaka

Perhaps, but I think different players develop at different rates. Look at Thiago Silva. He came to Europe, then went back to Brazil, and became one of the best central defenders in the world when he returned to Europe with Milan.

Reply to  Ali

I like this comparison. I know that people will want to discount this because the accomplishments are in Serie B. However, a lower league like that allows a young player to get exposure and experience that cannot be gained in the youth ranks.

I actually would like to see Milan send some of these teenagers on loan to Serie B because it will allow them to play more than at some of the top sides. Give them that chance to learn the basics on the field and then sharpen those skills with the first team in Milan.

Just a thought.

Cobben
Cobben

Looks like we got ourselves a talented lad. I like this deal.

jose
jose

What position does he play? I didn’t figured if LW or RW?

stanbenedict

Take a look at arsenal last season,we managed to beat them cos they lacked experience. Investing only on youths might not help, they’ll only be hungry for goals that’s all. Get us experienced wingers/midfielders even though they’re old ASAP

arya
arya

I think we are going in the right direction with youth. But buying youth has to be done with patience and thought because if we aren’t patient then the player may not fulfill his potential a very good example is Pato. Thought is important for knowing weather the player will even fulfill their potential even with that patience because players like abate maybe he has done well up to now but if you of what de sciglio has done up to now you look at abate’s career and you can see that he hasn’t done much to really say he’s… Read more »

arya
arya

rossoneri GHANA.
rossoneri GHANA.

we are all supporting the youth system,which i think is the best.but we also have to know that this old men are not bothered about trophies anymore.they are planning to go the arsnal way,which would make we the fans happy.just mark my words.i wont be suprise if milan didnt win any trophy in the next 8-10years.

Mooks
Mooks

A move in the right direction, i hope he turns out to be a good signing..
On the other hand, Galliani just said: “Zaccardo? Let’s see…” God help us!

Luke
Luke

WHO?

Black&Red
Black&Red

Milan should sell Amelia, Abate, Bonnera, Mesbah, Antonini, Traore, Flamini, Robinho. And get first Andrea Consigli, exchange Mesbah with Zaccardo, get Davide Santon, Douglas of Twente as he is on his last year of contract, Mehdi Benatia or Angelo Ogbonna, Moussa Sissoko also he is on his last year of contract. And get Mario Balotelli and Didier Drogba. And our team will be: Consigli, Zaccardo-Douglas-Benatia-Santon, Montolivo-Sissoko-Boateng, Balotelli-Drogba-El Sharaawy.

inzywong
inzywong
Reply to  Black&Red

HAHH u’re a pretty big dreamer dude

rick
rick

saponara? never heard about him

Nyemasem

Lets wait to see what this guy has to offer b4 we start praising him. Youth policy will take us 10yrs for us to win a trophy example is ARSENAL

Lentini
Lentini

Like arsenal my foot! Arsenal do not have a winning DNA.Not even a single champions league title. We are built differently. It’s a good step but some fans will never be satisfied. ‘sigh’

TWF
TWF

Saponara is not as special as SES. However, I believe he is a good poacher and better than robinho in terms of finishing touch. Saponara is confident in taking free kick. When the first time I saw him playing, I had a feeling that his idol is Ricky Kaka. I believe he can elaborate well with SES.

sulexdinho olawale pato

I ve never heard or seen this sapunaru play….and to hell with zaccardo

sherbini
sherbini

berlusconi is a joke, he acts like he is very aware of milan. This is just before elections. Pato exit was prepared from last year, and this managment planned this through the press. They made his departure normal for the fans. How can we even talk about players leaving after ibra and thiago’ s departure? Chaos!

Simo
Simo

Don’t mention me the youtube video, i also saw it. Just regading the statistics: Saponara scored 8 goals and assisted another 7 in 1554 minutes (18 games, 7 times as a sub), according to transfermarkt. As a second striker/trequarista/attacking midfilder. I don’t think, he cames to warm the bench. Anyway, we payed 4 million for the HALF of him. We didn’t pay 5 million for the entire Aquilani who wasn’t bad at all here… So i think it can work well, the only question is: how can he improve in Milan (without serious injuries). I mean: come on guys, regarding… Read more »

Vincent

Signing youngsters is a good thing but where the milan board are getting it wrong is the tactical inexperience of the coach. Allegri will frustrate most of these youngsters till they request for a loan move away. Again what is wrong with our academy(youth team), barcelona youth policy stems from their team B which makes blendind easy for the new boys. It is going well for barca cos both the A and B teams are being coached by good technical and tactical coaches which is what we lack in milan. Forza Milan.