Marco Storari is the first signing of Milan in this January mercato, as he arrives in a swap deal with Gabriel who is joining Cagliari until the end of the season.
The deal seemed already done, and then appeared to be on the verge of getting called-off; but it can now be said officially: Storari joins Milan until the end of the season with Gabriel heading to Cagliari.
“Milan announces to have signed Marco Storari until 30th June 2017 while Gabriel has joined Cagliari Calcio on a loan-deal until 30th June 2017. Gabriel has also renewed his contract with the club until 30th June 2019,” a statement on the Rossoneri’s website reads on Tuesday evening.
Gabriel and Storari underwent the medial at the La Madonnina clinic this afternoon and later signed the contracts to make the swap official. This is Storari’s second term with the Rossoneri as the 40-year-old previously owned by the Rossoneri from 2007 to 2010, making 10 appearances in total.
“If I expected to return to Milan? No,” Storari, who was Gianluigi Buffon’s back-up at Juventus from 2010 to 2015, told reporters. “If I feel that I’m leaving Cagliari with my head held high? I did what I had to do. I’m sorry that it ended this way. No I have a new adventure in front of me. Milan was the right choice? It’s a thing that was born by chance… Cagliari didn’t want me anymore. [Milan #1-choice keeper] Gianluigi Donnarumma? He’s surprising everyone, he has a great future ahead of him.”
Upon leaving Casa Milan after signing the contract to go to Cagliari, the 24-year-old Gabriel, who joined Milan from Cruzeiro in 2012, said: “I am happy with this new adventure. Milan remains in my heart, but we’ll see what happens in July. I am happy now and thank the club for giving me this opportunity. I haven’t spoken to [Cagliari coach Massimo] Rastelli yet, as it was all done so quickly.”
Milan’s next (and apparently only) objective for the rest of the market is to sign a winger. They are still waiting for Everton’s answer regarding Gerard Deulofeu who Milan want on loan with option.